New Manager Speculation

maqroll

13 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

So your only concern about Henry is that he he may see us as a stepping stone. That's your only concern about him ? Not the fact that oh i dunno em HE'S NO MANAGERIAL EXPERIENCE!!!!!

Oh it would be a punt of course in the Gerrard & Lampard mould..But they are doing ok. Lampards Derby are higher than us already, playing decent stuff and won away an Man Utd in the cup so what does that tell you? I would actually have Henry down as potentially better than Lampard but of course who knows? It would be no more of a punt than someone like Dean Smith in my eyes as he would be managing a much bigger club than he's ever managed so how do we know that would work?

My thinking is Wenger, whether actually employed here or not, would be on the end of the phone to help the guy regardless...If he needed him that is or wanted his help.

I do believe we have to look long term this time. As and when (Hopefully) we get back to the Premier League and with the huge wealth our owners have i think we really could compete.in the upper echelons. To do that we need a Big personality at the helm to firstly be able to attract the top players and secondly for them to respect what the manager is saying. Was that the case can you really see a Dean Smith,  Mick McCarthy or Sam Allardyce fitting the bill? Personally i can't but hey ho. I feel we need a top name who has played at that level and the top players would relate to. I know we are not there yet of course far from it but i appears the owners have big plans and big clout to back it up. May as well start now is how i see it.

Edited by danceoftheshamen
punctuation error
  • Like 1

the main objective to appoint the manager is to improve on the one you have sacked..

the goal ..to win promotion.

some of the managers that are linked with the club have never managed before,some offer the same gig where they go.

for me i would pick sam allardyce. 

i dont think the football would be great but like pullis at boro he is from the same mould, when he left wba they dropped out the Premier League within 12 months

boro are ahead of us now & may get up,

some linked names i would put into the "chance" bracket.

big sam would get this club up if not this year but defo next year

20 minutes ago, hippo said:

Sorry don't buy it.

If Henry gets the big bucks and all the kudos - then if some geezers under him are doing all the work - then inevitability they ask they ask the question - "wheres my slice of the good stuff" . We have struggled over the years getting one managerial appointment  right  - the chances of us assembling a dream team are even more fraught IMO - Not saying it won't happen - Im saying it probably wouldn't work that well. 

You have the old Fergie or Wenger idea of a football manager. The way football has gone if one man was doing all the things away from the football pitch he wouldn't have time to go to the games. 

Everyone is going on about how well Dean Smith has done at Brentford. But Brentford have a massive team working around Smith. They have two directors of football, a head of football philosophy, the list goes on. 

Aston Villa are ready to make a statement of their ambition and want appoint Thierry Henry as their new manager.

Henry is desperate to launch the next phase of his career. The France legend, who left his role as Belgium No 2 in the summer, is Villa's prime target and Sportsmail understands Naseef Sawiris, one of the club's joint owners, is driving the deal to sign him.

He was initially linked to the post in July following the club's takeover but, following the sacking of Steve Bruce on Wednesday, the wheels are in motion to appoint Henry. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6239417/Arsenal-legend-Thierry-Henry-No-1-choice-charge-Aston-Villa.html

3 minutes ago, cbr600rr said:

the main objective to appoint the manager is to improve on the one you have sacked..

some of the managers that are linked with the club have never managed before,some offer the same gig where they go.

for me i would pick sam allardyce. 

i dont think the football would be great but like pullis at boro he is from the same mould, when he left wba they dropped out the Premier League within 12 months

boro are ahead of us now & may get up,

some linked names i would put into the "chance" bracket.

big sam would get this club up if not this year but defo next year

The bit i highlighted is my concern with that approach. It could get us up yes but then it would be major turmoil for us to change everything yet again and go from negative, limited anti-football in the Allardyce mould to football capable of actually giving us a chance of silverware and attracting top players here. It takes years to make that transition from what i've seen in the past and usually it fails resulting in another relegation. Allardyce was at Bolton, WBA & West Ham & Everton and they all struggled to change direction after he left resulting usually in a relegation. We would have had the same problem had we gone up under Bruce i feel.

Alternatively look at the Huddersfield model, Still got the same innovative manager they got promoted with and are still in the Prem despite having nowhere near the backing we would have from Sawiris & Edens. Now there's a thought....... Huddersfield manager anyone?

• Like 1

There are many, many factors to consider.

but we don't want a shrinking violet where the club dwarfs them or someone who is scared to attack, albeit defensive duties are paramount.

We want a man full of confidence and gets to sleep at night, because its a demanding job.

I have a fear of older managers.....in the main they have left their best work at other clubs.

We want someone to grow with us

7 minutes ago, cbr600rr said:

I think this is an incorrect definition of the team’s goal and went a long way to the demise of SB. He missed this goal by a fraction and then couldn’t understand the hate.

I genuinely hope the board make clear to the new manager that they are expected to win the title. If they then miss this target by a fraction then at least we are still promoted as a back up! ;) 

1 minute ago, TRO said:

57% win ratio in 316 games

this is the problem, other managers from other leagues that have zero experience, 

granted it worked for wolves..how ever wolves got their man in & they players are top draw under the radar,

the radar is on now, 

i can only see from the list big sam the only safe & best option who would get a string of 1- nils wins & get this lot to bloody dig in 

im not huge fan of SA but if it was my club i would get him in

I think it's going to be Rodgers. He has stagnated there. Celtic had a great season last year, and he really won't improve on that. 

He will get a hefty pay raise with us, and will get huge funds if he gets us promoted. 

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Someone on Facebooks mate has spoken to a mate (Yeah I know) from Skysports and Wenger as DOF with Henry as Head Coach has been mentioned. ALLEGEDLY

Facebook is a more credible source than SkySports ;)