New Manager Speculation

maqroll

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I love the bloke, but even with his back to back promotions in Sweden, I don't think he's ready for a job like this.

The expectations  are just completely different.

True, but he knows the expectations first hand, that counts for a lot in my book. 

5 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Really? I reckon he'd be romantically nourished to work here. Just says he's happy at Brentford and cant answer if he'd like the Villa job if offered. That old chestnut.

You say that, but on the flipside, and as a Villa fan, he might know he is not ready and could probably not bare failing and/or falling out with the club he loves etc.

Sometimes, especially in a situation with this much at stake , it is better to love from a distance.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

With regards to passion and Mellberg, it reminds me of the guy in the trinity screaming passion non stop during the Preston game.

What the **** has passion got to do with anything when it comes to a side not being able to string 2 forward passes together?

PASHUN!

Passion = motivation

You can't tell me that the squad we have are actually incapable of making simple passes and movements, so if its not ability that's the issue you have to look farther afield. 

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

I don't know why but I've just got this gut feeling about Eddie Howe.

He is young, relatively high profile given he is currently managing in the PL, plays attractive football and i think i relatively realistic given the ceiling at Bournemouth. 

No chance he left Burnley because he was homesick he will only manage a team London or South Coast

• Like 1

1 hour ago, momo said:

Bruce improved this club, that hasn't happened since Martin O'Neill.

He got us scraping wins with a squad that costs more than many Championship clubs combined. Any half decent manager should have been able to improve our points total under Di Matteo. We had a poor start under RDM but we weren't getting thrashed, we were losing leads late on. The way some people in the media are going on about Bruce you'd swear he performed a miracle. With the money he's had to spend on fees and wages Villa should have been going head to head with Wolves last season or at least cementing 2nd place whilst improving the quality of football in the process. This season the football has remained dire and stand-offish whilst also not scraping the wins any longer. I suspect plenty of managers could have got us to this point whilst being paid a fraction of what we were paying Bruce. 

Edited by Wezbid
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, brommy said:

I think you are putting too much emphasis on the quoted tweets being anything other than somewhere between guesswork and stating the bleeding obvious.

yeah it was more a rant about the stupid tweeted headline tbh. I've no doubt they have been ready to go with this for a while now

I know some fans have their reservations about Henry, understandably so, but what a statement of intent it would be if we were to get Henry with Wenger DOF. 

I think the feel good factor around the place could be similar to when MON took over and would send the profile of the club through the roof which would also aid with recruitment.

I also think that football management has changed, these pampered kids these days react to different things and just having someone like Henry would inspire many of them. I look at Rangers and Derby and i can't work out if they have both landed good young managers, or whether the players of those clubs are just busting their balls to impress Gerrard and Lampard? Herny would possibly have the same effect. 

All in all, i think tbe negatives of little experience could be offset by the points above. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

I know some fans have their reservations about Henry, understandably so, but what a statement of intent it would be if we were to get Henry with Wenger DOF. 

I think the feel good factor around the place could be similar to when MON took over and would send the profile of the club through the roof which would also aid with recruitment.

I also think that football management has changed, these pampered kids these days react to different things and just having someone like Henry would inspire many of them. I look at Rangers and Derby and i can't work out if they have both landed good young managers, or whether the players of those clubs are just busting their balls to impress Gerrard and Lampard? Herny would possibly have the same effect. 

All in all, i think tbe negatives of little experience could be offset by the points above. 

Derby have two more points than us - Lampard is 10 games in - Had Whelan tucked away that penno we would be level  - I think we should be setting the bar a bit higher than emulating Derby's first 10 games.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

No chance he left Burnley because he was homesick he will only manage a team London or South Coast

In which case the sum of his ambition would be a Watford or West Ham? You don't go from Bournemouth to a Chelsea, Spurs or Arsenal.

I've seen this homesick comment before, but I'd be incredibly surprised if he rurned down the chance to speak to us on the grounds of location. 

15 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Really? I reckon he'd be romantically nourished to work here. Just says he's happy at Brentford and cant answer if he'd like the Villa job if offered. That old chestnut.

I am sure if Smith were offered it - he would jump at the chance. I was more taking it to mean him knowing he is not in the frame.  - A few other reports have suggested he isn't either. 

• Like 1

On 03/10/2018 at 12:33, hippo said:

If he needs an experienced team around him - why do we need him ? - why don't we just recruit the experienced team ? 

The role of a football manager is not the same as it used to be. The manager now is the head of a series of disciplines and the surrounding team is almost as important as the man at the top. 

You look at top clubs with top managers and this is now the way it works. Man City is a great example. Pep is the face but he has analysts and coaches for almost every facet of the game. Trusted managers who report to him.

Henry could be that media face and with his own football ideology, with others working in the background make the vision a reality. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

He got us scraping wins with a squad that costs more than many Championship clubs combined. Any half decent manager should have been able to improve our points total under Di Matteo. We had a poor start under RDM but we weren't getting thrashed, we were losing leads late on. The way some people in the media are going on about Bruce you'd swear he performed a miracle. With the money he's had to spend on fees and wages Villa should have been going head to head with Wolves last season or at least cementing 2nd place whilst improving the quality of football in the process. This season the football has remained dire and stand-offish whilst also not scraping the wins any longer. I suspect plenty of managers could have got us to this point whilst being paid a fraction of what we were paying Bruce. 

P

I disagree. Most of the cash were burned under Di Matteo. Wolves had much better players, especially attacking wise.

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

In which case the sum of his ambition would be a Watford or West Ham? You don't go from Bournemouth to a Chelsea, Spurs or Arsenal.

I've seen this homesick comment before, but I'd be incredibly surprised if he rurned down the chance to speak to us on the grounds of location. 

How about the grounds of us being in the Championship?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Herman22 said:

The role of a football manager is not the same as it used to be. The manager now is the head of a series of disciplines and the surrounding team is almost as important as the man at the top. 

You look at top clubs with top managers and this is now the way it works. Man City is a great example. Pep is the face but he has analysts and coaches for almost every facet of the game. Trusted managers who report to him.

Henry could be that media face and with his own football ideology, with others working in the background make the vision a reality. 

Sorry don't buy it.

If Henry gets the big bucks and all the kudos - then if some geezers under him are doing all the work - then inevitability they ask they ask the question - "wheres my slice of the good stuff" . We have struggled over the years getting one managerial appointment  right  - the chances of us assembling a dream team are even more fraught IMO - Not saying it won't happen - Im saying it probably wouldn't work that well. 

3 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

How about the grounds of us being in the Championship?

Maybe I'm just seeing this through rose tinted glasses, but its like asking a retail manager if he'd rather take a job at a struggling Debenhams or a thriving corner shop. 

Bournemouth have already hit their ceiling, I'm really don't care that they are in the PL, Aston Villa is a much, much bigger job than Bournemouth will ever be. 

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Sorry don't buy it.

If Henry gets the big bucks and all the kudos - then if some geezers under him are doing all the work - then inevitability they ask they ask the question - "wheres my slice of the good stuff" . We have struggled over the years getting one managerial appointment  right  - the chances of us assembling a dream team are even more fraught IMO - Not saying it won't happen - Im saying it probably wouldn't work that well. 

Isn't that a bit like saying why doesn't everyone in the film crew go up to pick up the Oscar? Figureheads are pretty common. 

• Like 1

Personally I am glad Bruce has gone, Some of his tactics and team selections have been mind boggling

But. He is a nice guy, more your friendly butcher than a football manager. I would quite happily have a pint with him, if the occasion ever arose 

• Like 1