New Manager Speculation

maqroll

I understand that your owners are ridiculously wealthy and could bankroll the acquisition of a new management team, players and wages but there is an elephant in the room that still needs to be addressed.

FFP is going to seriously restrict any major overhaul of the squad for the foreseeable future. Are some of the top names being linked with the post going to be attracted by the possibility of working within such restrictions?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Fonseca isn't coming its an embarrassing link to be honest.

I think Rodgers is the best we can hope for - but that looks unlikely IMO

It then comes down down to if we want a safe pair of hands, Pardew, Mccarthy, or do we gamble on the untested route - Henry, Terry, 

Purslow's  appointments include Rodgers and Roy Hodgson - two experienced guys - based on that, and I wouldn't be thrilled - but its more than feasible that we end up with Pardew. 

Disagree

There is no way we are bringing in Pardew or McCarthy, if we do the fans will be against it before their first game.

I think the appointment of the new manager will be more to do with Sawiris, Edens and the new DOF rather than Purslow. They have a vision for the club and based on the links with Mendes they have seen what Wolves have done and are trying to create something similar. Fonseca is a very unlikely target but if we have approached him fair play to the board, if you don't ask you don't get at the end of the day. There are plenty of young, european coaches about at the moment who would get us playing attacking football with a vision we can employ going forward over the next 10 years. Employing one of the old guard managers goes totally against what the board are trying to acheive at Aston Villa.

In my opinion a gamble on an untested manager such as Henry or Terry is not worth it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

Fonseca isn't coming its an embarrassing link to be honest.

I think Rodgers is the best we can hope for - but that looks unlikely IMO

It then comes down down to if we want a safe pair of hands, Pardew, Mccarthy, or do we gamble on the untested route - Henry, Terry, 

Purslow's  appointments include Rodgers and Roy Hodgson - two experienced guys - based on that, and I wouldn't be thrilled - but its more than feasible that we end up with Pardew. 

What’s embarrassing about being linked to a good manager?

More embarrassing that Mick McCarthy wants to chat to us.

• Like 2

Just now, alreadyexists said:

What’s embarrassing about being linked to a good manager?

More embarrassing that Mick McCarthy wants to chat to us.

Because its never going to happen - it just makes us look deluded.

• Like 1

Just now, Jareth said:

Mendes is the key to all of the talent, Wolves proved this. He also knows how to structure deals to be in line with FFP while compensating players/managers in other ways. This will never be uncovered unless the likes of the FBI get involved - they will not. Money talks, other factors come into play too, but Nassef and Wes are not mucking about in the Championship. Time to believe. 

The difference here though is that at Wolves there was a clear canvass to work with as profits had been made in a previous year to allow for the spending to be made to reach the Premier League. If reports that were circulating everywhere in the summer are true in that you are already at your FFP spending limits and that huge savings were required, it makes this less easy to do?

Sell Grealish for £25m and that allows for four £20m signings to come in on 4 year deals on say about £30k a week for FFP purposes for one season. That is easy to do if you have that wriggle room in your allowable losses, less so if you require the sale to meet the allowable losses.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Disagree

There is no way we are bringing in Pardew or McCarthy, if we do the fans will be against it before their first game.

I think the appointment of the new manager will be more to do with Sawiris, Edens and the new DOF rather than Purslow. They have a vision for the club and based on the links with Mendes they have seen what Wolves have done and are trying to create something similar. Fonseca is a very unlikely target but if we have approached him fair play to the board, if you don't ask you don't get at the end of the day. There are plenty of young, european coaches about at the moment who would get us playing attacking football with a vision we can employ going forward over the next 10 years. Employing one of the old guard managers goes totally against what the board are trying to acheive at Aston Villa.

In my opinion a gamble on an untested manager such as Henry or Terry is not worth it.

What evidence do we have of a Mendes link ? 

I agree you don't ask you don't get - But what would you think if we asked Gaurdolia  - lets not forget we asked Rafa and Ancelotti before appointing Mccleish. !!  - and we currently sit mid table in the championship with rumoured FFP problems 

I don't think we will gamble on an unknown - but Carvallho, Pardew, Raneri are very much in the frame IMO

17 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Mendes is the key to all of the talent, Wolves proved this. He also knows how to structure deals to be in line with FFP while compensating players/managers in other ways. This will never be uncovered unless the likes of the FBI get involved - they will not. Money talks, other factors come into play too, but Nassef and Wes are not mucking about in the Championship. Time to believe. 

Based on what ? 

He has billions sure - but we don't know that he wants to spunk it all on Aston Villa 

The bloke is worth £7bn - and has a £15m investment in villa - we might not be his top priority - Him being content with us just ticking over the championship isn't off the radar IMO

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Based on what ? 

He has billions sure - but we don't know that he wants to spunk it all on Aston Villa 

The bloke is worth £7bn - and has a £15m investment in villa - we might not be his top priority - Him being content with us just ticking over the championship isn't off the radar IMO

Apparently he is a massive football fan, he won’t want to be a billionaire owner of a mediocre football club, that would be embarrassing for him. 

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Based on what ? 

These are ambitious people and owning a football club is a prestige project

No one wants to boast they own a mid-level championship team

They are in to win

5 minutes ago, Baldricks Cunning Plan said:

The difference here though is that at Wolves there was a clear canvass to work with as profits had been made in a previous year to allow for the spending to be made to reach the Premier League. If reports that were circulating everywhere in the summer are true in that you are already at your FFP spending limits and that huge savings were required, it makes this less easy to do?

Sell Grealish for £25m and that allows for four £20m signings to come in on 4 year deals on say about £30k a week for FFP purposes for one season. That is easy to do if you have that wriggle room in your allowable losses, less so if you require the sale to meet the allowable losses.

Yes, agreed on Grealish sale, it might be necessary if we want to restructure the team. Edens said it aint happening overnight, and I expect next summer to be busy. All that said, the league is awful this year, we get a good coach in and the players we have react, well play-offs deffo pos. Go up (big if) and FFP ain't no thing. Stay down, tarrraaa Jack - he'd be off anyway. 

I know you'll want someone higher profile however you could do a lot worse than considering Neil Lennon.

Wouldn't be a fashionable appointment but there's a lot more to him than his public perception,  I've been really surprised by him.  I wouldn't pay too much attention to his time at Bolton as that sounds like it was a complete car crash of a club at the time.

Anyway,  I hope you don't go after him,  just thought i'd throw his hat into the ring........ 

5 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Apparently he is a massive football fan, he won’t want to be a billionaire owner of a mediocre football club, that would be embarrassing for him. 

Fresh from watching the world cup together multi-billionaire chums Wes and Nassef thought they'd indulge their lifelong passion for top class football by purchasing a championship side with the sole intention of running it like Mike Ashley. 

• Haha 1

If you look at it logically Villa was bought for £60m       Noooocastle are available for £300m and Watford recently turned down an approach to buy a 35% share of something like £135m.

Now there's no way either club is bigger than us so you could argue that the next appointment could add £260m to the value of the club so consequently a package of £10/20m for a manager who you believe will get promotion is a good investment. 

So I do think there might be a lot in this Fonseca talk

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nigel said:

So we shouldnt try?

Obviously if there was any chance of him coming then yes we should try - and maybe we have - but its a 95% chance he will reject it out of hand - no more than a phone call. Now that may make yourself and plenty other happy 'jesus these guys are trying to get Fonseca' - but in reality that single phone call doesn't progress us a club. Forget villa for a moment what would you think if you heard that Bristol City  wanted Jurgen Klopp as there manager ? - Would you jump up and think 'My word Bristol City are going places' or that they were a bunch of idiots.

IMO Luring Brendan Rodgers would be an almighty task with odds stacked against 

• Like 1