New Manager Speculation

maqroll

4 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

The bit i highlighted is my concern with that approach. It could get us up yes but then it would be major turmoil for us to change everything yet again and go from negative, limited anti-football in the Allardyce mould to football capable of actually giving us a chance of silverware and attracting top players here. It takes years to make that transition from what i've seen in the past and usually it fails resulting in another relegation. Allardyce was at Bolton, WBA & West Ham & Everton and they all struggled to change direction after he left resulting usually in a relegation. We would have had the same problem had we gone up under Bruce i feel.

Alternatively look at the Huddersfield model, Still got the same innovative manager they got promoted with and are still in the Prem despite having nowhere near the backing we would have from Sawiris & Edens. Now there's a thought....... Huddersfield manager anyone?

im with you on many points but huddersfield built the package with nothing to loose, avfc is ready to go, its wheels are bigger than any club in this league,

when SA was at ham/everton his objective was to stay up, he did this.

take a close look at boro tuesday.. while villa were doing their thing v preston..boro under pullis were grinding out a 2-0 victory, its not pretty but its they NOW to get out this league.

thats the sort of manager thats villa needs, i just done see some of the list doing the same.

if pullis were to be manage the villa,, could you honestly see preston pulling it back? no chance.. firstly he would not have 3 right backs in defence & a load of wingers in midfield.

theirs for & against every manager.bruce track record was great to get out this league,, he failed, close but failed,

this club does need change, we all know that, maybe  smith might be a better option long long term but can villa wait? can ffp wait? ..simply no.

villa need a no frills get out this league manager

F*** experience!

I don’t understand the (amount of) apprehension toward appointing Henry in particular (compared to Terry or even Mellberg, for example), he could be so good for us in so many ways.

I don’t think it’s quite as much of a risk as some people think but I think you have to be willing to take some form of risk in order to try and be successful. He would bring an element of confidence, style and swagger and would be a big draw for players to come to our club and he would be respected.

He certainly has experience of working under top class managers and coaches and has actually done some coaching himself. Would certainly excite me and I’m sure he would implement an attacking style.

I really don’t want another old fashioned British manager, that would be the absolute worst. Enough is enough. We need to move forward with fresh, energetic, attacking football and we should definitely go foreign. Henry, Fonseca, Flores all appeal.

Just look at the dross we have had at the club, particularly the British managers. It’s high time we moved on and progressed rather than limiting ourselves and being stuck in the past. The whole club needs refreshing and this is a massive opportunity now to really move us forwards.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

F*** experience!

I don’t understand the (amount of) apprehension toward appointing Henry in particular (compared to Terry or even Mellberg, for example), he could be so good for us in so many ways.

I don’t think it’s quite as much of a risk as some people think but I think you have to be willing to take some form of risk in order to try and be successful. He would bring an element of confidence, style and swagger and would be a big draw for players to come to our club and he would be respected.

He certainly has experience of working under top class managers and coaches and has actually done some coaching himself. Would certainly excite me and I’m sure he would implement an attacking style.

I really don’t want another old fashioned British manager, that would be the absolute worst. Enough is enough. We need to move forward with fresh, energetic, attacking football and we should definitely go foreign. Henry, Fonseca, Flores all appeal.

Just look at the dross we have had at the club, particularly the British managers. It’s high time we moved on and progressed rather than limiting ourselves and being stuck in the past. The whole club needs refreshing.

terry was great for villa, i think villa was great for jt, 

its a chance with him, great if it come off but you have to say its a chance, were talking about owners looking at investment to get the club up.

derby are rolling the dice with lamps.. villa is geared in every way to be in top flight & europe. 

its just a chance thats all im saying

17 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

Birmingham Mail (Yeah, I know) are reporting that Fonseca is not interested in the job.

It never ceases to amaze me that anyone pays any attention whatsoever to what that rag writes.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cbr600rr said:

terry was great for villa, i think villa was great for jt, 

its a chance with him, great if it come off but you have to say its a chance, were talking about owners looking at investment to get the club up.

derby are rolling the dice with lamps.. villa is geared in every way to be in top flight & europe. 

its just a chance thats all im saying

My point wasn’t that Terry would be a bad choice. It was, why are ppl eager to have someone like Terry (who has even less or almost 0 coaching or management experience) but apprehensive and concerned about appointing Henry? Henry would definitely be a better choice imo and would offer a lot more.

Thats just my opinion, no problem with others.

I just want a manager with a completely different approach and who would bring some entertaining and attacking football and to do that you need to go for a decent foreign manager or, if you have to go British, then a younger, more adventurous one. 

The old guard can sod off. Drab, dull and uninspiring. No thanks.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Just now, sidcow said:

It never ceases to amaze me that anyone pays any attention whatsoever to what that rag writes.

Hey, I’m not saying I believe them. Just pointing it out is all. I’ve seen them backtrack enough over the years to show that most of what they print is uneducated guess work.

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

My point wasn’t that Terry would be a bad choice. It was, why are ppl eager to have someone like Terry (who has even less or almost 0 coaching or management experience) but apprehensive and concerned about appointing Henry? Henry would definitely be a better choice imo and would offer a lot more.

I just want a manager with a completely different approach and who would bring some entertaining and attacking football and to do that you need to go for a decent foreign manager or, if you have to go British, then a younger, more adventurous one. 

Probably because he chats shit and is good for nothing more than a soundbyte, I've seen nothing in his career either whilst playing or since that suggests to me he'd be a good Manager.

Whereas JT, for example, has been a leader all his career, came to play in the Championship and gave it 100%.

You obviously can't tar everyone with the same brush but I remember when Henry's mate Pires came to 'play' for us......and that was in the PL.

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

the new bread of manager .. foreign i hear you say...

step forward de matteo...now hang on a min..we tried that one !!

the old guard.. lets look at whos joint top on 22 points. old pullis at boro..like it or lump it but boro will & are doing a better job at getting a shot out of this league than us

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Interesting it's said that the manager and DoF are linked - can see why that is fueling Henry/Wenger. Or maybe it's going to be a Joe Kinnear / John Carver dream-team!!

Assuming mendes is Involved. As I mentioned earlier there is no evidence to support that theory. 

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

You obviously can't tar everyone with the same brush but I remember when Henry's mate Pires came to 'play' for us......and that was in the PL.

Imagine that at the interview -

"So, Thierry, thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to come and see us today.  Before we get started, though, how do you explain 85-year old Robert Pires being a terrible signing for us over 8 years ago, some 4 years after you'd last played together for Arsenal?"

"I, erm..."

"Sorry, Thierry.  This just isn't going to work."

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Probably because he chats shit and is good for nothing more than a soundbyte, I've seen nothing in his career either whilst playing or since that suggests to me he'd be a good Manager.

Whereas JT, for example, has been a leader all his career, came to play in the Championship and gave it 100%.

Obv there are no guarantees but he was a world class player who played under world class managers and coaches and has experience of different leagues and a high amount of knowledge. He has always been part of attacking sides too. I would think he would have some ability and he has done some coaching at Arsenal and with Belgium.

I would definitely welcome him over Terry who I can see focussing on defending more than anything (can’t really see him bringing entertaining & attacking football), has only ever played in Prem & Champ and under defensive managers such as Mourinho (and Bruce!).

Henry’s personal skills and experiences are a much stronger attraction to me. Again, just my opinion and he isn’t the only option I would consider or want. I just don’t see why there’s such a lack of enthusiasm toward appointing him compared to lesser options in my view.

4 minutes ago, cbr600rr said:

the new bread of manager .. foreign i hear you say...

step forward de matteo...now hang on a min..we tried that one !!

the old guard.. lets look at whos joint top on 22 points. old pullis at boro..like it or lump it but boro will & are doing a better job at getting a shot out of this league than us

Someone with loads of experience getting out of this league would be a good idea.

Someone British.

Someone with a non nonsense approach.

Someone who concentrates on building from the back and digging in to get results.

Someone who hate cabbages.

I just can't think who?

Henry would be act of gross stupidity - coming close to Remi Garde proportions. It might a statement of intent  - but it would probably be a very short lived one..........all IMO of course.