New Manager Speculation

maqroll

I think all we're learning so far is that we don't know. Regurgitated rumours about Henry from the summer, despite them having not been true, rumours of a man who hates our CEO and is well known for holding onto a grudge and the usual half hopers and perma-applicants. The need for speculation is a long way ahead of the knowledge of potential candidates I reckon.

8 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Imagine that at the interview -

"So, Thierry, thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to come and see us today.  Before we get started, though, how do you explain 85-year old Robert Pires being a terrible signing for us over 8 years ago, some 4 years after you'd last played together for Arsenal?"

"I, erm..."

"Sorry, Thierry.  This just isn't going to work."

Hence why you obviously can't tar everyone with the same brush ;)

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

Henry would be act of gross stupidity - coming close to Remi Garde proportions. It might a statement of intent  - but it would probably be a very short lived one..........all IMO of course.

Garde had some experience. He had done well before coming to us. 

Edited by praisedmambo

1 minute ago, praisedmambo said:

Garde had some experience. He had done well before coming to us. 

He had done average at a very small club in a minor league - things picked rapidly after he left.  I would doubt Henry would last a full season TBH.

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

Henry would be act of gross stupidity - coming close to Remi Garde proportions. It might a statement of intent  - but it would probably be a very short lived one..........all IMO of course.

Henry alone but with the right support staff he would be fine.

Played under Wenger and Pep won everything in the game at club and country.  Should be attack minded bearing in mind where he played.  Apparently knows players from all over Europe.  

There was defiantly something in those rumours before the start of the season so I don't see anyone but him to be honest.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Well it looks like Fonseca and Smith have ruled themselves out. I think Rafa and Rodgers will shortly follow suit.  - so the feasible shortlist is shaping up. The big unknown is they will gamble on a rookie (Terry, Henry) - or go for someone with a track record QSF / Cavallho - my bet is on the latter.

Smith hasn’t ruled himself out,He said he is happy at Brentford and hasn’t had any contact with Villa.I think if Villa offer him he will take the job which In my opinion will be a bad move for him and Villa,of course I would say that but as some on here have acknowledged he is part of a big structure that would be impossible to transfer and replicate.Smith is a great fit for us and has now had 3 seasons that has produced top ten finishes which is more than acceptable for the majority  of our fans but wouldn’t be for your club.The only way it might work is it sounds  like you have cleared the decks for the new manager to bring in a big support team which could mean your DOF has people lined up and build a team around Smith.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Is forest in work a5 the mlast meant. He would definitely be one of m6 top picks

If it helps, you can get onto the M6 toll from at A5

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, S-Platt said:

Henry alone but with the right support staff he would be fine.

Played under Wenger and Pep won everything in the game at club and country.  Should be attack minded bearing in mind where he played.  Apparently knows players from all over Europe.  

There was defiantly something in those rumours before the start of the season so I don't see anyone but him to be honest.

If he is that good - why are the support staff a pre requisite? - If he isn't ready to manage in his own right - he shouldn't be coming.

Lets face it this would be an old boy appointment as the major shareholder at Villa is an Arsenal Fan  - its moving away from choosing the best man for the job, which won't end well   (or start well ) 

5 minutes ago, deeps said:

Wouldn’t call Lyon a small club 

OK - He managed those giants at Lyon, with there massive staduim playing in front of 70k every week. But for some reason couldn't hack at villa - and ran home crying to his mom.

28 minutes ago, hippo said:

Not sure how you can compare a manager being thrown into the deep end of a swift sinking titanic in the Premier League with no life boat or even so much as a pair of floaties to a young aspiring coach with a brilliant footballing mind funded and backed by extremely wealthy owners, probably with a strong team and DOF in the Championship?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

If he is that good - why are the support staff a pre requisite? - If he isn't ready to manage in his own right - he shouldn't be coming

Modern managers are more like head coaches these days. A support network is becoming common place and the managerial appointment is no longer the most important job at a football club. The model is one where if a manager leaves there is still continuity and the club's strategy is not torn up every time a new one comes in. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not sure how you can compare a manager being thrown into the deep end of a swift sinking titanic in the Premier League with no life boat or even so much as a pair of floaties to a young aspiring coach with a brilliant footballing mind funded and backed by extremely wealthy owners, probably with a strong team and DOF in the Championship?

The results will be comparable - getting your mates jobs never works out. Wait and See