New Manager Speculation

maqroll

Yikes. Just had a shock. 

I have FotMob on my phone, and it is set to pop up news stories relating to Villa or England, but on the lock screen you only see the first so many characters. 

It just popped up with "Breaking: Gareth Southgate Announc"

I looked at it thinking WTF???? "Gareth Southgate Announced as Aston Villa Manager"??????

Turns out it said "Gareth Southgate Announces England Squad"

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Laurent Blanc wants to return to management with a 'big club'.

In all seriousness I don't think I can handle two weeks of speculation.

Well it looks like Fonseca and Smith have ruled themselves out. I think Rafa and Rodgers will shortly follow suit.  - so the feasible shortlist is shaping up. The big unknown is they will gamble on a rookie (Terry, Henry) - or go for someone with a track record QSF / Cavallho - my bet is on the latter.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Yikes. Just had a shock. 

I have FotMob on my phone, and it is set to pop up news stories relating to Villa or England, but on the lock screen you only see the first so many characters. 

It just popped up with "Breaking: Gareth Southgate Announc"

I looked at it thinking WTF???? "Gareth Southgate Announced as Aston Villa Manager"??????

Turns out it said "Gareth Southgate Announces England Squad"

I thought you were going to say there was a villa player in the squad. 

1 hour ago, fifamad said:

Maybe we should go for Zidane or try persuade Pep Guardiola? 

As an aside, neither of those had any managerial experience when taking over at two of the biggest clubs on the planet. By the reasoning of at least 50% of this forum we certainly won’t get the ‘next’ Pep or Zidane because they will only consider ‘experienced’ managers (for ‘experienced’ read ‘someone who has failed at least once somewhere else’).

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Well it looks like Fonseca and Smith have ruled themselves out. I think Rafa and Rodgers will shortly follow suit.  - so the feasible shortlist is shaping up. The big unknown is they will gamble on a rookie (Terry, Henry) - or go for someone with a track record QSF / Cavallho - my bet is on the latter.

Edens definitely went with the former in his first appointment of a head coach with the Milwaukee Bucks. And he got it spot on.

Kidd had one season of coaching behind him before being appointed, took the Bucks from a club history low to playoffs within a season.

We're a completely different ball game literally, so I don't think Kidd's experience will be indicative of our next managers necessarily.

Hopefully the part about it being an apt appointment will be.

• Like 1

Any appointment is a gamble and it will come down to how the Board see it.................experience at this level against a left fielder.

Eyebrows were raised here when Tony Mowbray was appointed out of the backroom at Ipswich with no experience but proved to be one of the best we have had in the last 20 years or so. The same also was true to a certain extent with Stubbs. However he has now failed at 2 follow up clubs in Rotherham and St Mirren.

Edited by newhavenhibby

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Someone on Facebooks mate has spoken to a mate (Yeah I know) from Skysports and Wenger as DOF with Henry as Head Coach has been mentioned. ALLEGEDLY

I have no problem with such rumours, so long as they are this sort of rumour. This pairing could not fail.

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

I have no problem with such rumours, so long as they are this sort of rumour. This pairing could not fail.

To be fair re Henry there was simply too much smoke.

Arsene is out of work and has had his break from football, with his reputation and undoubted contact list in the game, as well as being away from the everyday stress of Management I think it is very feasible.

Henry is relatively inexperienced but Arsene is quite a mentor/manager to have right there for some advice!

It would be quite exciting IMO.

Someone mentioned that Wenger was also a "Dinosaur", I pointed out that the likes of Arsene have been ahead of Bruce since the 90's so simply cannot be put in the same category!

• Like 3

Incidentally 2 of the worst have been Terry Butcher and Calderwood.......couldn't believe he ended up with you guys under Bruce  ?  Was glad to see he was shown the door and not given temporary charge.

Edited by newhavenhibby

I don't know why but I've just got this gut feeling about Eddie Howe.

He is young, relatively high profile given he is currently managing in the PL, plays attractive football and i think i relatively realistic given the ceiling at Bournemouth. 

25 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Mail saying Fonseca has no interest in the villa job and has ruled it out .

i would like to see quique Sanchez Flores get the job and he’s also available at the moment 

This

21 minutes ago, hippo said:

Really? I reckon he'd be romantically nourished to work here. Just says he's happy at Brentford and cant answer if he'd like the Villa job if offered. That old chestnut.

• Like 1