John Terry

Farlz

20 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Bold Prediction.

JT to score more goals this season than our midfield combined.

Nah not the season coming.

He might score more than our midfield scored LAST season.

But I think Hourihane and Lansbury will notch up a good few goals this season coming

Delighted with this. He can bring so much to the club and the squad in so many levels. Getting promoted isn't just about 90 minutes of football a few times a week. It's the prep and mindset day to day. 

Terry is a born winner who's played with some of the best, and is one of the best defenders of a generation. 

He can supplement he whole squad, with tit bits on 'this is how Drogba/Costa did it' to Kodjia. This is how Kante did it. This is how I did it. I get the feeling that when Terry talks, players listen. 

He clearly has the fire in his belly still, as he could have easily picked up a nice pay packet abroad somewhere for a year. 

Bring it on. 

• Like 1

Not excited by this, starting to worry that theres a lack of long term planning at the club and Xia's tenure could end up like Lerner's if we keep throwing money about. Is he still worth 60,000 per week in the Championship? For that kind of money at this level you'd want him to be a near ever-present throughout the campaign. I'd be so happy to be proved wrong, but I really can't bring myself to feel the excitement that most fans have for this signing. Time will tell I guess!

6 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Not excited by this, starting to worry that theres a lack of long term planning at the club and Xia's tenure could end up like Lerner's if we keep throwing money about. Is he still worth 60,000 per week in the Championship? For that kind of money at this level you'd want him to be a near ever-present throughout the campaign. I'd be so happy to be proved wrong, but I really can't bring myself to feel the excitement that most fans have for this signing. Time will tell I guess!

The difference is Lerner would have given Terry a four year contract at 60,000 per week and we would have been stuck with him...

Xia has gone with a one year deal

12 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Gabby is on similar wages and has been a complete waste of space since O'Neil left.

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Pass the champers and have another cigar you old crow :) 

The journey to the premiership is about to begin :)

less of the old....you sound like my missus:mellow:

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

If he was after a pay day and an easy life he'd have gone to the far east or MLS. There would be no shortage of takers and he'd probably be paid double at least what he's getting here.

Playing a 46 game season in the Championship isn't an easy payday

ditto

4 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

It's bizarre to me that he would could here but i'm glad he has. I'm hoping it's a sign that he is coming to play and compete because if it was one last pay day and an easy life he's come to the wrong place.

From what I have read online Terry was tempted by other leagues because he didn't want to play against Chelsea next season. Now this played in our favour quite a bit as we wanted him, we can afford him and we're still a big enough draw that he'd entertain our offer.

Will it work out for us? I don't know as he's only ever played 6 matches in the Championship when he was loaned to Nottingham Forest in 99/00 season, but I am sure he's here to give everything he's got as he has done for 19 years at Chelsea. Personally I don't think he wants to retire as a Championship player, I think he wants to retire as the player that got a team promoted to the Premier League in the one season he was here. 

• Like 1

He will have one eye on learning how to become a manager, sticking close to Steve Bruce......I see him having a big influence on us.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

He will have one eye on learning how to become a manager, sticking close to Steve Bruce......I see him having a big influence on us.

I concur.

I just can't see John Terry's body standing up to the rigours of the Championship now. But I don't think that's the main reason for this signing. The motivation for this signing lies more with what John Terry will do for Villa off the pitch rather than on it. Once again raising the profile of the club and hopefully attracting better players while trying to instill that so sought after winning mentality.

He could play more of course than most are giving him credit for and if so great but only time will tell whether this will be seen as an astute signing or one more to add to the list of aging players Villa shouldn't have signed?

• Like 2

Â