John Terry

Farlz

Really expected this to be announced by now - the squad have flown out to training camp in Portugal this morning - unlikely there will be a press conference to announce JT - hopefully he will fly out and join them and maybe the website will confirm his signing soon

3 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

Have we ever announced signings at the weekend? 

Only takes a couple of lines on the official website these days and that's certainly manned at weekends.

7 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Only takes a couple of lines on the official website these days and that's certainly manned at weekends.

True, but after "Welcome Remy" a couple of lines probably has to go through about 8 different stages of review.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Godders said:

Ah OK. Apologies for misunderstanding! 

He's always maintained the only reason he said it was because Anton Ferdinand accused him of saying it, ie... 

AF: "did you just call me x?!" 

JT: "No I didn't just call you x!" 

X obviously being the phrase in question. 

If that version of events is true, it suggests he's not a racist, even though he used that language towards Ferdinand.

Ultimately though, there's only one person who knows exactly what went down that day, and he's said it's this version of events. 

I've never understood in a situation like this why racism can only be one way.  Could AF not just call JT a white ****** in retaliation?

Being a victim all the time fuels more racism in my opinion.  

Anyway going off topic now so ill just say whats done is done and if people don't want him to play for Villa based on this incident then thats understandable. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. 

47 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I've never understood in a situation like this why racism can only be one way.  Could AF not just call JT a white ****** in retaliation?

Being a victim all the time fuels more racism in my opinion.  

Anyway going off topic now so ill just say whats done is done and if people don't want him to play for Villa based on this incident then thats understandable. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. 

I have always favoured the maxim " 2 wrongs don't make a right"....but I do get what you say.

The main thing for me is -

If I called someone a fat so & so and they were quite chunky.....I would probably have said it in a fit of pique and tried to hurt them.....not a recommended thing to do but we all have our moments.....that would not make me have a thing about ALL fat people, just me trying to hurt someone in a row.....that could be said about small or skinny folk too, what ever the perceived hang up a person who is having a verbal fight, his opponent wants to exploit it.

Folk making these type of comments in the heat of an exchange as opposed to a pre-meditated chant or rant is quite different IMO

However in the ideal world wind-ups would be banned or poking fun at people or making remarks like above are not particularly clever things to do.

The trick is.....steer well clear of making racist remarks, no matter how provocative.....then there is little chance of being labelled a racist.

I think it is all about having tolerance and restraint from all of us.....sadly lacking in this modern world.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have always favoured the maxim " 2 wrongs don't make a right"....but I do get what you say.

The main thing for me is -

If I called someone a fat so & so and they were quite chunky.....I would probably have said it in a fit of pique and tried to hurt them.....not a recommended thing to do but we all have our moments.....that would not make me have a thing about ALL fat people, just me trying to hurt someone in a row.....that could be said about small or skinny folk too, what ever the perceived hang up a person who is having a verbal fight, his opponent wants to exploit it.

Folk making these type of comments in the heat of an exchange as opposed to a pre-meditated chant or rant is quite different IMO

However in the ideal world wind-ups would be banned or poking fun at people or making remarks like above are not particularly clever things to do.

The trick is.....steer well clear of making racist remarks, no matter how provocative.....then there is little chance of being labelled a racist.

I think it is all about having tolerance and restraint from all of us.....sadly lacking in this modern world.

Agree with all above and there is no place for racism in any form. I'm just sick of racism being seen as something that can only be directed at non whites. Anyone can be a victim of racism regardless of their colour or race. 

Can we just sign him now please :)

• Like 2

It tripped off the tongue quite easily for him though, didn't it?  

His defence centered around this idea that he was clarifying (angrily) what Anton Ferdinand may have misheard.  

That level of civility -asking 'do you think I called you a fxcking black cxnt?' (at least twice) seems out of kilter with an angry exchange.  

Â