John Terry

Farlz

24 minutes ago, BOF said:

The other thing about bringing Terry in is the statement it makes to other prospective purchases.  All of a sudden, players will look at us and think 'I wouldn't mind playing alongside John Terry for a season' or 'If he thinks they're worth a shot then maybe I do too'.

Rumours are that Terry said he wouldn't mind playing alongside Hutton for a season and that if Alan thinks we are worth  a shot then maybe there's a chance of success. 

Edited by Brumerican
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

This is like Christmas come early for the never happy brigade in Villa's fan base.

One of the most successful English players ever has chosen to join Villa. I'm really pleased the club have pulled this off.

..He's 36.. you mention Christmas, he'll be 37 by then. If we signed him couple years ago I'd be excited.

Hardly featured last season, so it would be like coming out of retirement for a 36 year old. Perhaps money could have been better spent when supposedly we are only signing 2 more outfield players maximum (according to Wyness and Bruce).

Now that's he's here though, I'll get right behind him!

29 minutes ago, striker said:

No mate not having a dig at all at Bruce. I just think it's odd that a manager who is already under tremendous pressure to get Villa promoted this season signs someone who might be the fore runner to take his place if sacked. Surely that's only going to increase the pressure on Bruce?

Fair enough, not the Bruce thread and off topic so we'll leave it there shall we. 

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

John Terry will not be playing a 46 game season. Not even close.

I obviously didn't mean he'd personally be playing 46 games.

Edit: apologies, reading back my OP it's not actually obvious at all. To rephrase: playing IN a 46 game season in the Championship is not an easy pay day.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

All confirmed on BBC site! 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40476873

Aston Villa have signed former Chelsea and England captain John Terry, the Championship club's owner Dr Tony Xia has announced on social media.

The 36-year-old defender's contract at Stamford Bridge expired on 30 June.

Terry, who won 78 caps for England, played 717 games for Chelsea and won his fifth Premier League title in May.

Villa finished 13th in the Championship last season but Steve Bruce's side are among the favourites to win automatic promotion to the top flight in 2017-18.

Birmingham City manager Harry Redknapp said in June that his club had made an offer to Terry, who announced in April that he would be leaving Chelsea.

Terry has played for only two English clubs - Chelsea and Nottingham Forest, with whom he had a short loan spell in 2000.

1 year deal I'll definitely have that. 

Baulking a little at the £60k a week but it ain't my money and Tony wants to give him that so be it. Fair Play rules only seem to fine clubs anyway at the moment. Besides if Terry really wanted the money, he could have gone anywhere else. He would have got a (reported) £40k a week extra just by going a few miles down the road and playing in the same league.

As @BOF has said, it's a statement of intent and one that hopefully finishes with us back to where we belong.

Right John, show us what you are made of!

Â