John Terry

Farlz

3 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

What a great interview. The more I hear him speak, the more I like him. 

He will always have his share of knockers but its all about what he does on the pitch now ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

The difference is Lerner would have given Terry a four year contract at 60,000 per week and we would have been stuck with him...

Xia has gone with a one year deal

Point taken, but then where does that leave us in a years time? Either JT isn't up to it and it's a waste of resources and holds us back this year, or we get promoted and either have to start all over again with a new main CB, or hope that a nearly 38 year old JT is up to a season in the PL. Along with the rest of our transfer policy under Bruce ( and RDM) thus far, this doesn't really give me any confidence that there is a long term plan in place.

2 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

Gabby is on similar wages and has been a complete waste of space since O'Neil left.

Which is exactly my point. If JT isn't the savior/isn't up to the pace anymore, we'll have Gabby, Richards and JT all draining vital resources and contributing (at least relatively) **** all. Could add McCormack to that list as well, and probably a few others. It's a worrying scenario.

As I said, I really hope to be proved wrong on this one, but I really just can't get excited at all. Some might accuse me of being negative, but I always take a glass half full approach to the Villa, just have a bad feeling about this one. Sincerely look forward to someone quoting this in the summer when we've just walked the league and JT wins player of the season, I'll happily eat my words if that's the case :)

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Probably still wouldn't introduce him to your missus.

I'd like to think my massive dong would triumph over his massive bank balance. If not I'll sell my story and find someone else with the profits. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Point taken, but then where does that leave us in a years time? Either JT isn't up to it and it's a waste of resources and holds us back this year, or we get promoted and either have to start all over again with a new main CB, or hope that a nearly 38 year old JT is up to a season in the PL. Along with the rest of our transfer policy under Bruce ( and RDM) thus far, this doesn't really give me any confidence that there is a long term plan in place. 

What makes you think we don't have an option to extend his contract if we want? 

There's your long term plan. If JT proves he's still up to it, and Bruce has him in his plans for next season in the PL, we add another year on his contract. 

If he's not up to it, which by the way would probably be pretty obvious early on in the season, we don't exercise the option to extend and plan to get in a new CB for next season. 

Oh, and welcome John!! 

It's weird to see simply because this is an oddity in football, you might call it fate. We were literally the right club for this player at this time - with hard work from SB and the Dr I am sure. Obviously Terry now needs to deliver for his money, but bar any awful injury I don't think any attribute of his can be called into question, the guy is a winner, pure and simple. 

Just now, Godders said:

What makes you think we don't have an option to extend his contract if we want? 

There's your long term plan. If JT proves he's still up to it, and Bruce has him in his plans for next season in the PL, we add another year on his contract. 

If he's not up to it, which by the way would probably be pretty obvious early on in the season, we don't exercise the option to extend and plan to get in a new CB for next season. 

Oh, and welcome John!! 

I didn't say that though, I said if we got promoted we'd be in a position of hoping a by then nearly 38 year old JT would be up to playing a season in the Prem, which doesn't fill me with much confidence. Difference of opinions is all I guess :)

5 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

I didn't say that though, I said if we got promoted we'd be in a position of hoping a by then nearly 38 year old JT would be up to playing a season in the Prem, which doesn't fill me with much confidence. Difference of opinions is all I guess :)

With an option to extend, we hold the cards. 

If it's his legs have gone, we don't extend the contract. 

If Bruce wants him for a season in the PL, but JT himself doesn't feel as though he'd be up to it, we don't extend the contract. 

If Bruce wants him in the PL and JT feels he's got another PL season in him, we extend the contract. 

At no point are we hoping that a 38yo JT would be able to do it in the PL. We're only extending the contract if there's a good deal of certainty that he can. 

Edit: assuming there is a option for the club to extend his contract. 

Edited by Godders

Â