Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

3 hours ago, cjl8 said:

Bumped into Lyden at the ground yesterday, he said he's off on loan to either Wigan or Fleetwood. 

I hope for his sake he ends up at Fleetwood. Wigan have a large selection of central midfielders to choose from, whereas Fleetwood are possibly a little short in that area and that would give him a much better chance of getting into the first team, so that he can hold his place there. 

53 minutes ago, RaptureJames said:

He was magic, man.

A fine player for us. I didn't quite realize how good he was until I seen him in the Villa shirt. I knew he was good, but yes, at times he was magic!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Danny Batth rumour quashed by Xia

Still think we need another body in central defence. Alex Bruce?! 

I think even if TE and MR get binned off, he'll go with the main 3, plus Da Laet and Jedi as cover. 

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 01:18, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Wasn't sure where to post this, but seeing as I've used it to highlight where I think there are a couple of final gaps in the squad I suppose this is the right thread.

I'm sure this will cause great debate as we all see certain players in slightly different lights :P but for my money this is how our squad looks in terms of the roles each player can/will perform this season.  Some of the definitions I've clearly stolen from Football Manager, but I think they help explain the role a bit better than position alone.  I initially started this to show how much more balanced we are and that (as many have already pointed out) we're not in huge need of any further additions.  Obviously the players missing from this are ones which are either on their way out or surplus to requirements.

As I've already alluded, it also shows  show a couple of positions that I think we do lack:
1. A proper no.10 - McCormack was the closest we had to it but I don't think was mobile enough to play it.  I do think if he's still with us in a few years time, this is where Jack will end up but not right now.
2. A tall, powerful, great in the air, target man - Kodjia and Gabby to an extent can play up top on their own and hold the ball reasonably well, but I think we're missing someone who can act as a plan B. Leicester in their title year showed that despite the success of their high energy, direct style of play, they sometimes needed to throw Ulloa on upfront and mix it up a bit.  I can see a lot of sides sitting deep against us this year, especially at Villa Park, so having an extra dimension like this wouldn't hurt at all.

If we were to spend big money (not saying we will) I'd hope it was for one of these roles.

DDpr4pL.jpg

* Damn it, Baker had to go and bugger it all up didn't he! <_<

your second point is why I didn't mind the link to Crouch... I thought he'd be a great option off the bench when we needed to change things late in the game to push for a goal

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

With Adomah and Grealish out for months. Kodjia not 100% fit and McCormack heading out we really need another attacking players signed. 

Reports that Adomah would be out for months seem wide of the mark. Its being reported that he will only be out for 2 weeks in the E&S

Definitely need a creative attacking midfielder now that Grealish is confirmed out for 2-3 months.

could be argued we need one regardless.

hopefully we'll be dipping our toes into the transfer market again.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Definitely need a creative attacking midfielder now that Grealish is confirmed out for 2-3 months.

Agree now Grealish is out. Must be experienced though, otherwise we have plenty of players who can fill in and O'Hare at youth level who could step up. Alternatively a loan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Agree now Grealish is out. Must be experienced though, otherwise we have plenty of players who can fill in and O'Hare at youth level who could step up. Alternatively a loan. 

Well if we back down and let Bacuna go to Reading for 1.5m we can use that money plus another 194.5m and get Neymar!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Left midfielder has gone to the top of my shopping list with Jack out. Thought he'd be the one competing with Green there this season. Don't think much of Bjarnason down the left so far if I'm honest and we'll be spreading ourselves pretty thin getting Amavi to cover two positions. wasn't surprised to see us linked with Ojo.

In and ideal world an attacking midfielder and a striker that isn't McCormack wouldn't go amiss but I'm ok with us cutting our cloth accordingly.

Would love to see a few out the door this week though. Getting my hopes up with these Bacuna rumours aren't they! Bacuna, Gardner, Cissokho, Elphick, McCormack I'm looking at you! Richards and Bunn cant have any/many takers but we can still dream. For about 4 weeks isn't it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Well if we back down and let Bacuna go to Reading for 1.5m we can use that money plus another 194.5m and get Neymar!

And sell the rest of the squad to supplement the reported 55 mill pound per year wages?

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

And sell the rest of the squad to supplement the reported 55 mill pound per year wages?

Deal, can I keep Micah Richards though? An inspiration to us all. Sam in goal (Loan), Micah defends and Neymar the link between midfield and attack ie himself

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1