Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

13 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I think you may be disappointed. The money in is all about FFP. I think we may see a loan signing or two and that is about it.

Last time this came up, from memory, we were knocking on the door of the limit, but weren't over - any money in now is available so long as Tony says yes.

7 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Last time this came up, from memory, we were knocking on the door of the limit, but weren't over - any money in now is available so long as Tony says yes.

Its all about losses though. If our overall revenue falls then we make more of loss - even if we don't spend heavily in the transfer market. Bruce said he wanted 3 established first teamers - which he appears to have got.  I think anything else will be loans

13 minutes ago, hippo said:

Its all about losses though. If our overall revenue falls then we make more of loss - even if we don't spend heavily in the transfer market. Bruce said he wanted 3 established first teamers - which he appears to have got.  I think anything else will be loans

Will be good to see next set of accounts, those untarnished by Randy. I'm obviously doing back of fag packet maths - but if we're not making further losses, but actually gaining money from transfers - whilst never having broken FFP, surely we've got wriggle room for another purchase no? If we're shifting more players out than we're getting in, then wages too are improving - bar JT who is probably worth x2 player's wages. Maybe need a few more out before anyone else in though admittedly..

Just had a quick look at net spend last year - £70 mill incoming, £40 mill outgoing. With about £20 mill coming in this window - we're looking at a net spend of £10 mill since Tony's owned us (with Jan window to come). Deffo plenty of room there for additions. 

Edited by Jareth

Think about lost income. 

We dont have the same competition money, tv money, etc coming in. We are getting less of a relegation bonus. Shirt sales and merchandising is down. We are selling less tickets and have less sponsorship money coming in.

It all adds up to significant loss and we have to compensate for this.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, flashingqwerty said:

Think about lost income. 

We dont have the same competition money, tv money, etc coming in. We are getting less of a relegation bonus. Shirt sales and merchandising is down. We are selling less tickets and have less sponsorship money coming in.

It all adds up to significant loss and we have to compensate for this.

We also don't have Randy the clueless shumanite running the shop any more...

We don't really need anyone really.

Maybe a loan signing, but i'd rather we look to our youth.  I think we're too quick to dismiss the youth players and i'd like to see players like Green, Grealish, Davis, RHM and Toner given more game time. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I think people are kidding themselves if they think we are selling fringe players in order to fund a big outlay on a player. It's not going to happen.

Aye, it's all optimistic conjecture - but now it's moved on to the state of the club's finances - where one view is that we are selling players to offset reduced income in other parts of the club. Other than 7 mill less in parachute payments, the club is in the same position as last year - if not improved a bit with two recently announced sponsorship deals, and with 20mill cash back in this window (if we get that). If that is the case then Tony's net spend overall on players is about £10 mill. The club is also now stable for once - other than the cost of sacking RDM. Would be daft to go and blow a load on another Mcormack - for sure, but this notion that we're selling players just to keep the club afloat, is a tad dramatic too. 

• Like 1

It doesn't really matter if we are in the limit of FFP or not. The club, as it stands, is hemorrhaging money. This club should have enough to get promoted out of this shitty league as it is. There comes a point where we have to just stop and get what we have working.

:trollface:

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Aye, it's all optimistic conjecture - but now it's moved on to the state of the club's finances - where one view is that we are selling players to offset reduced income in other parts of the club. Other than 7 mill less in parachute payments, the club is in the same position as last year - if not improved a bit with two recently announced sponsorship deals, and with 20mill cash back in this window (if we get that). If that is the case then Tony's net spend overall on players is about £10 mill. The club is also now stable for once - other than the cost of sacking RDM. Would be daft to go and blow a load on another Mcormack - for sure, but this notion that we're selling players just to keep the club afloat, is a tad dramatic too. 

Drop in the ocean compared to the drop on TV money.

We don't need any more signings. 

We just need to get rid of a couple more to help with finances and then crack on with playing and winning matches.  

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Will be good to see next set of accounts, those untarnished by Randy. I'm obviously doing back of fag packet maths - but if we're not making further losses, but actually gaining money from transfers - whilst never having broken FFP, surely we've got wriggle room for another purchase no? If we're shifting more players out than we're getting in, then wages too are improving - bar JT who is probably worth x2 player's wages. Maybe need a few more out before anyone else in though admittedly..

Just had a quick look at net spend last year - £70 mill incoming, £40 mill outgoing. With about £20 mill coming in this window - we're looking at a net spend of £10 mill since Tony's owned us (with Jan window to come). Deffo plenty of room there for additions. 

Don't forget the significant drop in parachute payments compared to last year. You get 3 years and each year is far less than the previous one. 

Id be happy if we got a centre back, winger (left) and striker. Don't see any more permanent signings coming in, and I don't think we'll get a cb on loan unless we sell Elphick and even then I'm not sure our kids/cover we have from full backs would be any worse so possibly just the winger to come. If we could only have one then the priority has to be another striker. 

10 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Don't forget the significant drop in parachute payments compared to last year. You get 3 years and each year is far less than the previous one. 

40 mill last year, 33 this, then the big drop is next season - just 14 mill. So it really is sh*t or bust this year. More reason to get Bruce the players he wants.

Edited by Jareth

Wasn't sure where to post this, but seeing as I've used it to highlight where I think there are a couple of final gaps in the squad I suppose this is the right thread.

I'm sure this will cause great debate as we all see certain players in slightly different lights :P but for my money this is how our squad looks in terms of the roles each player can/will perform this season.  Some of the definitions I've clearly stolen from Football Manager, but I think they help explain the role a bit better than position alone.  I initially started this to show how much more balanced we are and that (as many have already pointed out) we're not in huge need of any further additions.  Obviously the players missing from this are ones which are either on their way out or surplus to requirements.

As I've already alluded, it also shows  show a couple of positions that I think we do lack:
1. A proper no.10 - McCormack was the closest we had to it but I don't think was mobile enough to play it.  I do think if he's still with us in a few years time, this is where Jack will end up but not right now.
2. A tall, powerful, great in the air, target man - Kodjia and Gabby to an extent can play up top on their own and hold the ball reasonably well, but I think we're missing someone who can act as a plan B. Leicester in their title year showed that despite the success of their high energy, direct style of play, they sometimes needed to throw Ulloa on upfront and mix it up a bit.  I can see a lot of sides sitting deep against us this year, especially at Villa Park, so having an extra dimension like this wouldn't hurt at all.

If we were to spend big money (not saying we will) I'd hope it was for one of these roles.

DDpr4pL.jpg

* Damn it, Baker had to go and bugger it all up didn't he! <_<

Edited by GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Ah - the old 8-10-5 formation.  Midfield gets a bit congested, but should be solid at the back.

I was just about to quote him and say, yeah looks good, but me thinks you might have one or two players too many! 

It would solve the problem with our movement. They could all just stand still and we'd fill the pitch.