Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

10 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

At 800k he'd be a good gamble. Though, can't help it would hinder the development of Davis and RHM by signing him. 

There is no hindering the development of any player.

the name of the game is rise to the challenge and out play your adversary.

thats football......its not a kindergarten.

you have see that first team shirt and say to yourself, thats mine.

the mentality at our club has been too liberal for too long.....it had to change.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

I'm only passing on what I've heard. Grimsby are a very tightly knit club and my mate and his Dad have no reason to lie. We'll wait and see.

EDIT: Apparently it's QPR he's opted for, whether we were in for him or not I'm not sure.

Edited by sexbelowsound

1 minute ago, TRO said:

There is no hindering the development of any player.

the name of the game is rise to the challenge and out play your adversary.

thats football......its not a kindergarten.

you have see that first team shirt and say to yourself, thats mine.

the mentality at our club has been too liberal for too long.....it had to change.

Not sure I agree with that. All it can take some times for some players is one chance to prove their worth, buying loads more players in a certain position might get in the way of giving that player a chance. 

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Not sure I agree with that. All it can take some times for some players is one chance to prove their worth, buying loads more players in a certain position might get in the way of giving that player a chance. 

Cream rises to the top......its not a comment i expect all to agree with.

i think we as fans have been a bit too easy going at times......these guys have to do the business if not.....hook.

Young players in the past have arrived at our club.......and pulled up trees.

it can be done.

6 hours ago, Jareth said:

Aye, it's all optimistic conjecture - but now it's moved on to the state of the club's finances - where one view is that we are selling players to offset reduced income in other parts of the club. Other than 7 mill less in parachute payments, the club is in the same position as last year - if not improved a bit with two recently announced sponsorship deals, and with 20mill cash back in this window (if we get that). If that is the case then Tony's net spend overall on players is about £10 mill. The club is also now stable for once - other than the cost of sacking RDM. Would be daft to go and blow a load on another Mcormack - for sure, but this notion that we're selling players just to keep the club afloat, is a tad dramatic too. 

Nobody said anythink about keeping it afloat. But i can guarentee you we have made significant losses since leaving the prem and as FFP monitors losses it is not inconceivable that sales would be being made to ensure we dont get sanctioned.

Using the "2 in each position" formula, along with Xia saying he agreed with Bruce that the squad would have 19/20 first teamers and a bunch from the academy training with them, I see the squad as:

GK: Johnstone, Steer

RB: Bree, De Laet

LB: Taylor, Amavi

CB: Terry, Chester, Samba, Elphick, (Richards)

DM: Whelan, Jedinak

CM: Hourihane, Lansbury, Bjarnason, Gardner

LW: Grealish, Green

RW: Adomah, Elmohamady

ST: Kodjia, Hogan, (Agbonlahor)

That leaves Bacuna, Hutton, Bunn, McCormack and then just a bunch of the youngsters to fill in the squad. The above team has 24 players in and I've only included 2 because I assume they will be impossible to shift. If Elphick and Gardner were to leave soon it would mean a squad size of 20+ Gabby and Micah. 6 more players to go is roughly what Xia tweeted would happen so I reckon those are the 6 going. 

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We need better quality on the left hand side and also need to consider signing a more creative midfielder to play in the centre.

can't disagree with that.

The tricky one for me is Green.....I don't think he is quite ready, but given a run in a stable team, he may develop in to what we want him to be.

thats a tricky call in my view.....glad I'm not the manager

1 minute ago, TRO said:

can't disagree with that.

The tricky one for me is Green.....I don't think he is quite ready, but given a run in a stable team, he may develop in to what we want him to be.

thats a tricky call in my view.....glad I'm not the manager

Green can play across the whole of midfield so I have no issue, he'll get a lot of opportunities to play this season. For me Tom Lawrence is an essential signing.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We need better quality on the left hand side and also need to consider signing a more creative midfielder to play in the centre.

A left footed winger/no10 is essential going off of today. Green needs time to develop and has to work on his final ball. Grealish seems so lightweight at the minute and doesn't look like he can run a game for us so both need a bit of help in there. 

5 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Green can play across the whole of midfield so I have no issue, he'll get a lot of opportunities to play this season. For me Tom Lawrence is an essential signing.

Hmmmmmm.....never seen him play.

I would like Wes hoolihan or similar

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

I find it hilarious that this site is full of people bemoaning the fact that players like Gill and Vertout are leaving and think they should stay because they could be really good for us despite all previous evidence. 

Yet Bruce gets panned for signing players like Whelan and Elmohamady. 

Players like Whelan and Elmohamady are slated as being humdrum and meh and even poor despite forging good careers in The PL. 

Everytime we are linked with players like that you get people up in arms about it. 

I hope we sign some more experienced and crucially PROVEN players even if the bore the VT community because on the evidence so far these kind of players actually improve us and are not a gamble like some young exiting sounding player from some overseas who may or may not be good at some point in the future. 

On the money

Fact is we need both, that's what getting the balance does.

the other thing is who ever we sign they have to do the job they are employed to do.

On 28/07/2017 at 08:51, skarroki said:

I've had a look through the Chelsea squad of players that are under contract, but not been given a squad number for the season so are likely to head out on loan.

In my opinion, of those players, we should aim to bring in Nathan, a creative, attacking Brazilian who can play behind the striker or on the left wing. He's the kind of player who I think would make it in the Prem and I could see us loaning him next season again in the Prem if we got him this year. Similar to what Huddersfield are doing with Brown and Palmer

Posted this Friday morning but I feel it makes even more sense now with Grealish potentially out injured and us needing a number 10 player regardless 

2 hours ago, skarroki said:

Posted this Friday morning but I feel it makes even more sense now with Grealish potentially out injured and us needing a number 10 player regardless 

I genuinely think McCormack is the player for the no 10 role. He's intelligent enough to do it and has the movement. Whether his head is right or if Bruce just doesn't want him are yet to be seen.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I genuinely think McCormack is the player for the no 10 role. He's intelligent enough to do it and has the movement. Whether his head is right or if Bruce just doesn't want him are yet to be seen.

I think he is too but unfortunately I also think there may be more going on than we know and he may be a little further out the door than we're led to believe. Wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't featuring in pre season anymore for insurance reasons. 

25 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I think he is too but unfortunately I also think there may be more going on than we know and he may be a little further out the door than we're led to believe. Wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't featuring in pre season anymore for insurance reasons. 

It does seem strange, I imagine there must be more to it. It's a shame, even at his age he's quite a talent.