Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

7 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

No. I mean obviously wages come into play making him non viable for plenty of them, but maybe 15-20 would take him in the squad. Perhaps more. I don't know every squad inside out. 

So basically, they would be happy to take him if he cost very little and he was willing to accept a drastically reduced salary.  Which in summary means we couldn't offload him if we tried.  Which I think was the point you were arguing against?  Or am I missing something?

29 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's not a needless dig.

"Pretty much every Championship club" would not want a non-prolific, 30 year old striker on, what, £40k/wk at the least?  I'd wager that pretty much none of them would, to be honest.

Maybe if he was free and on £10k/wk. Maybe then most Championship clubs would. 

Fair enough.

The original poster clarified his thoughts re: wages and transfer fee etc so I probably agree to an extent.

On another note What most Gabby haters like to use, even purposely so, is his "ratio: goals" etc. when in all honesty every Villa fan knows Gabby is more of a "Forward (LW/RW)" than a "Striker".

They just don't like him so the goalpost will continually move no matter which of the previous complaints they had about him he fixes/makes up for, so he could bust his gut, get 300 assists in a game and it would still be....... BUT...... Shisha Pipe.......Flabby (Even though he looks almost at his best)........ Pregnant Women........ Old.... Thick..... etc

51 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

So basically, they would be happy to take him if he cost very little and he was willing to accept a drastically reduced salary.  Which in summary means we couldn't offload him if we tried.  Which I think was the point you were arguing against?  Or am I missing something?

Not really. The first post was presumably a jokey one about selling the whole squad to buy Neymar. The next post suggested nobody would want Gabby. It proceeded from there. 

Genuinely not worth debating. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Fair enough.

The original poster clarified his thoughts re: wages and transfer fee etc so I probably agree to an extent.

On another note What most Gabby haters like to use, even purposely so, is his "ratio: goals" etc. when in all honesty every Villa fan knows Gabby is more of a "Forward (LW/RW)" than a "Striker".

They just don't like him so the goalpost will continually move no matter which of the previous complaints they had about him he fixes/makes up for, so he could bust his gut, get 300 assists in a game and it would still be....... BUT...... Shisha Pipe.......Flabby (Even though he looks almost at his best)........ Pregnant Women........ Old.... Thick..... etc

I mean, sure, but as a Forward (LW/RW), you'd expect him to get a few assists to cover the lack of goals.  My gut feeling is that this tally will be pretty shoddy as well.

There's nothing necessarily wrong with Gabby, he's a very limited forward/striker and has never been that good at all.  I would worry if he becomes first choice this season.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I mean, sure, but as a Forward (LW/RW), you'd expect him to get a few assists to cover the lack of goals.  My gut feeling is that this tally will be pretty shoddy as well.

There's nothing necessarily wrong with Gabby, he's a very limited forward/striker and has never been that good at all.  I would worry if he becomes first choice this season.

I disagree, I thought he was outstanding under MON, the style of play we had at the time suited Gabby and MON loved him

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HolteExile said:

Aye.  Most well run clubs at least in the top two divisions and probably throughout the entire professional structure in England wouldn't persist with half arsed, part-time footballers.

That's our job. 

The world and his wife have known that Gabby and Richards are available for the last 12 months.  Yet we haven't exactly been inundated with offers. 

Sunderland say "Hi"....

• Like 1

Sunderland are different.  Most of their players are just shit. 

Maybe some of their players have waddled into pre season training looking like space hoppers this summer, not sure. 

But at various stages over the past 12 months we have had Gabby, Richards and McCormack all looking like they have been drinking sausage roll milkshakes. 

11 minutes ago, HolteExile said:

Sunderland are different.  Most of their players are just shit. 

Maybe some of their players have waddled into pre season training looking like space hoppers this summer, not sure. 

But at various stages over the past 12 months we have had Gabby, Richards and McCormack all looking like they have been drinking sausage roll milkshakes. 

I wish I was as fat as Gabby, Richards or McCormack. Preferably Richards. 

Edited by Wezbid

10 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Lewis Baker on loan?

I know nothing about this player other than... wait for it... I have him at Aston Villa in 2019-20 season on FM. Good and reliable player in the Prem.

Sorry, know nothing else about him other than the name, soz. :thumb:

On 7/29/2017 at 23:44, PatrickCousens said:

Villa in 'needing a number 10' shocker. Someone remind me when we last had a good one? 

Hmm....do we though? What's the point?

We have a manager that doesn't even attempt to play through the lines. We don't even attempt to get anyone on the ball 30 yards out. He plays a striker (when fit) that does best when creating for himself. We have a manager that buys another winger and ups the crosses into the box pre-season, 6 months after selling the only player at the club that could head the ball.

Could go on.

For what it's worth, should we ever get a manager in that tries to play the kind of football that requires a number '10', then Jack Grealish is perfect for the role at this level. He doesn't have the pace to play wide but what he does bring is the ability to carry the ball into the final third and he has a terrific eye for a pass. The likes of Hogan will thrive of that service. Unfortunately though, it just isn't gonna happen.

I worry about us this season. Teams that do well in this division are full of vibrant youth. Full of pace and power. Full of desire and energy. They also tend to play flowing attacking football. We are nothing like that at all and whilst Bruce has brought in players that he feels will be able to cope with playing for this club....I just don't see them improving us by 30 ish points. 

It's quite ironic really. Of all the people involved in the first team squad, Bruce himself is yet to prove he is capable of performing his role for such a big club, never mind the players!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

Woah, hold on there JV....... All of the fanbois use the old chestnut "he is a striker that has been constantly played out of position" as an excuse for his abysmal goal return in a Villa shirt - but now everyone knows he is a forward?

As for him fixing/making up for stuff, all he has done is got himself fit again - the minimum you would expect from a professional footballer who can do so whilst having facilities at his disposal that most would only dream of.

One goal against the scum and everyone creams their pants with "Gabby's back", "its the Gabby of old"

1 goal last season. 1 goal. in 13 games. In the Championship. Yet people are pinning their hopes on him.

He needs to score 10+ goals this season, and chip in with a good number of assists. If he does, I will accept the turnaround. THEN and only then will I consider him to have even started to make up for the last four seasons of shite he has served up. For what it is worth, my goalposts with regard to Gabby have never moved. They have always been about him performing well and contributing something. Unfortunately for him, he is having just as much trouble scoring through these metaphorical goalposts as he does with the real ones on the pitch.

I actually hope he does do well this season. I really do, because that would mean that Villa are flying, and ultimately that is what matters. However this is Gabby. I wont hold my breath.

Totally agree with all of that.

Brighton team that got promoted - Bruno - 36 year old RB,  Lewis Dunk - big stiff centre half, Dale Stephens - industrial plodder, Sidwell - 34 year old journeyman, Knockaert -skillful winger, no physical attributes, Hemed - big lump, Murray - 6ft 33 year old journeyman striker.

Not much pace and power there.

9 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Gestede the only player at the club that could head the ball? Poor Kozak was the 'forgotten man' throughout his whole time here.

Unfortunately Kozak coudn't run...at all....even Jedinak would of looked like Shergar next to him.

He could finish though, but once he got that injury it was inevitable it wasn't gonna happen for him...shame cos I did actually like him. 

19 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Brighton team that got promoted - Bruno - 36 year old RB,  Lewis Dunk - big stiff centre half, Dale Stephens - industrial plodder, Sidwell - 34 year old journeyman, Knockaert -skillful winger, no physical attributes, Hemed - big lump, Murray - 6ft 33 year old journeyman striker.

Not much pace and power there.

They played attacking football on the front foot, regardless of size....they looked powerful enough to me!

Did they sit 8 men behind the ball every week? Did they play 2 holding midfielders at home against every team in the league?

Scott Murray only played 22 games

Lewis Dunk was the best centre back in the championship, by some distance. Stiff? no idea what that is supposed to mean.

Sidwell is 2 years older than Jedinak believe it or not.....but still plays like he's 15 years younger. Jedinak's lack of mobility is excruciating to watch. The fact he has missed pre season should be a huge worry as he won't be fit till January most likely....but Bruce loves him and he will play as soon as he is available.