17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

7 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Exactly, if the current plight of Leeds, Preston, Derby, Middlesbrough and Norwich is worthy of praise then so are we.

sure

however 4pts from 12 possible would not

not even 5pts

7pts now your beginning to talk

9pts would have been „now you‘re talking“

All the time we are out of the top 2 (top6 aswell) and our ppg ave is lower than 2, we need to win home & away against nearly every team below us and GAIN some pts when we play those teams around and above us.

5 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

sure

however 4pts from 12 possible would not

not even 5pts

7pts now your beginning to talk

9pts would have been „now you‘re talking“

All the time we are out of the top 2 (top6 aswell) and our ppg ave is lower than 2, we need to win home & away against nearly every team below us and GAIN some pts when we play those teams around and above us.

I share the frustration and the feeling of nearly being there, but it is 19pts from 24 possible if we win tonight. If we replicate that for the season we will win the league.

• Like 1

Looking at everyone else - we need to win the next 3 games at least to show that we mean business.

Dropping points tonight would be a disaster. Even a draw isn’t good enough.

I actually can’t believe how tight the league is. Most teams will feel they have chance of making the playoffs if you consider Reading are in 20th place and they are only 8 points off 6th Place.

58 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Preston's form is not great. We need to go for it. Draws are useless to us.

Sadly, draws are like defeats.....its like both teams losing.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

Looking at everyone else - we need to win the next 3 games at least to show that we mean business.

Dropping points tonight would be a disaster. Even a draw isn’t good enough.

I actually can’t believe how tight the league is. Most teams will feel they have chance of making the playoffs if you consider Reading are in 20th place and they are only 8 points off 6th Place.

Its the same as every season at this stage. Reading are only 8 points but as we saw last season even getting a run of 7 wins doesnt mean you will be in top 6 as you need the rest of the teama to be droppibg points and then you need to keep winning.

Its so important to start well in this league thats what i have established to get promoted

Last season we had 14 draws. So 14pts. But if we'd gone for games a little more and, say, we had just a 50% success rate (assuming we either won or lost) we'd have gained an extra 7 points despite having lost far more games.

If you play for draws you get draws and losses. If you play for wins you gets wins and draws. The point difference is huge. Newcastle lost the same number as Fulham yet there was a difference of 14 points and 5 places between them come May. You have to go for it unless you're a bad team, hopefully are squad doesn't fall under that category. 

And this is why I doubt promotion is possible under Bruce. He'd rather not lose than go for wins. Why not two strikers against Blose? Why the most defensive bench possible tonight vs Preston? Why 1 up front against a well documented patched up PNE defence?

It's all way too 'safe'. Five draws so far - even if we'd lost three of them and won the other two we'd be a point better off (6th) won three and we're 4th. It's not a difficult calculation. Bruce clearly has no faith in our squad so I have no faith in him.

1 hour ago, jackbauer24 said:

Last season we had 14 draws. So 14pts. But if we'd gone for games a little more and, say, we had just a 50% success rate (assuming we either won or lost) we'd have gained an extra 7 points despite having lost far more games.

If you play for draws you get draws and losses. If you play for wins you gets wins and draws. The point difference is huge. Newcastle lost the same number as Fulham yet there was a difference of 14 points and 5 places between them come May. You have to go for it unless you're a bad team, hopefully are squad doesn't fall under that category. 

And this is why I doubt promotion is possible under Bruce. He'd rather not lose than go for wins. Why not two strikers against Blose? Why the most defensive bench possible tonight vs Preston? Why 1 up front against a well documented patched up PNE defence?

It's all way too 'safe'. Five draws so far - even if we'd lost three of them and won the other two we'd be a point better off (6th) won three and we're 4th. It's not a difficult calculation. Bruce clearly has no faith in our squad so I have no faith in him.

Although 7 of those draws were under RDM last season who definitely didn’t ‘play it safe’.

Im not sure I get the obsession with 1 up front being negative either. When we play well we look far more effective with a front 3 than 2 out and our strikers for me. 

Our squad depth is going to be vital. None of jedi kodjia grealish Lansbury Taylor green in that starting 11,(some have been missing large parts of the season) all were starters last year and we look stronger not weaker for it.

Yet Preston have some injuries and they don't look the same team.

We should really kick on over the next few months as the injuries start to stack up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Bristol city playing Cardiff weekend so opportunity to close one or both. Wolves have a potential banana skin vs Fulham also. We too have a tough game vs Sheffield wed. 

A Fulham win, and a Bristol win, or draw would be perfect for us.

Providing we win too of course.

Birmingham game was a bit of a slip up.. 

despite their form and quality (lack of..).. its a derby match and they are always up for it. Its a much harder game... its also a game that managers fear losing.. they dont want to lose a derby match.. so its a draw i think most managers would be okay with. I personally would have gone for it but it is what it is. Cant win them all.

1 loss in 12 against the leaders.. away from home. Not bad. 7 Clean sheets. Awesome. Jedinak Grealish Lansbury Kodjia Green etc missing for large parts of the season. 

Its not spectacular viewing.. but thats not important this season.. we just need to get up and if we get up with these sort of wins. I am very happy. I am enjoying not fearing us concede at every oppurtunity like we used to be. Bruce has made us hard to beat.

Those who want him out even now... i am bewildered by the thought. Forget what i just mentioned above. What would the players who are currently winning and playing well and are in 5th position think if we got rid of him? They clearly like him and are playing for him.. that would ruin team spirit.. new manager could rub the players the wrong way.. its a huge huge risk. One we should not be taking whilst we are in this form. 

Enjoy it for now... After Sheffield which is a tough but winnable match we have the following matches.

QPR - Away.. tough but winnable. They are playing well at the moment.

Sunderland - Home. Should win.

Ipswich Home - Bubble has burst. Should win.

Leeds away - Tough game but they are struggling at the minute.

Millwall Home - should win

Derby - Away - tough game..probably draw.

Including Sheffield i can see us getting 15 points or so.

Wolves have Fulham Reading and Leeds coming up. 

Cardiff and Sheffield have a decent run next 5 matches.

Bristol have Cardiff Sheff Wed Preston Hull Boro.  

• Like 1