17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

Everytime we get within touching distance of the automatic spots, we mess up and the teams above us don't. 

Assuming we don't go on a losing streak now, it's going to take weeks to get within a few points again. 

That said I can see us losing a few now, we've been stumbling through and have been found out now. 

7 pOints  from the last 15 is a poor return - we need to get back to winning ways straight after the break and get another run of wins together - the loss of JT could prove to be disastrous .

Edited by Eastie

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Also Terry out, Grealish in, possibly we’ll be more about attack now.

Absolutely. If we are relying on Samba at the back to soak up pressure and hit on the counter we are going to get destroyed week after week. 

We need to take the game to teams now and make them too worried about us to think about how to attack our defence. 

He has to find a way of getting this midfield creating, Jack could well be the answer to that. 

If Jack goes back to his disappointing worst we are over. 

I want the the Jack who puts Everton defenders on their arse back. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Absolutely. If we are relying on Samba at the back to soak up pressure and hit on the counter we are going to get destroyed week after week. 

We need to take the game to teams now and make them too worried about us to think about how to attack our defence. 

He has to find a way of getting this midfield creating, Jack could well be the answer to that. 

If Jack goes back to his disappointing worst we are over. 

I want the the Jack who puts Everton defenders on their arse back. 

You'e dreaming! Bruce will put Samba alongside Chester and probably go back to 4-3-3 with Jedinak partnering Whelan to give added cover to the back four and drop either Hourihane or Onomah with the starter out of those two playing that third midfield role.

The two wide men will be Adomah and Snodgrass and they will be on extra defensive duties so that Elmo and Hutton (Taylor?) can tuck in alongside the central pair. 

We will sacrifice attack play for stability at the back and as a result we will not score as many goals and lose further ground at the top. 

They just mentioned Terry could be out for the next 9 games. I reckon we will go 3 wins, 3 draws, 3 defeats. 12 points from 27 and outside the play offs by the time Terry returns. God help us if Chester gets injured or suspended at any time during those 9 games!

Edited by villarocker
  • Like 1

From 4th down to 14th, it’s all quite tight. Could easily finish anywhere amongst that lot. We haven’t won as many games as we should have by now. Wolves, Cardiff and Sheff Utd going to run away with it - possibly Bristol City could join that little group. A few teams around us also have a game in hand, so, not that great, really. 

We're done, the decisions made in the summer and now going to become evident. It was stupid to leave us so short in so many areas. After all this time, Bruce still doesn't know how to get us to perform. We're still playing with our foot on the brake constantly. We've only smashed really poor, or badly depleted, teams. Any team that shows a smattering of effort or skill and we've come up short. Another season down the drain. Personally I'd sack Bruce immediately and get someone in for the Jan transfer window, not that we'd need much, but it's not THAT hard to make a success of this league even with little time (ask Wolves).

I'm turning off from football for two weeks. It's just depressing. 

• Like 3

As I said in the Terry thread:

I understand how important he is, but people saying promotion is f*cked without him obviously didn't believe it to begin with.

If ONE defender was going to make or break our promotion chances, we were doomed before we kicked a ball.

That being said, we heard the same when Kodjia got injured, and we found a way.

I think Jedinak can cover OK.

We will have to find another way to play.

The concerns should be more about BRUCE, than the loss of Terry.

• Like 3

Terry or no Terry. We are not good enough i am afraid. Every time we face a half decent side we seem to get beat or create nothing against a decent defence. 

442 DOES NOT WORK. Yes it got a few results against some awful teams.. its clear we need 3 in midfield especially if Whelan or Jedinak are in the side. Hourihane is literally the only player in midfield at times with Whelan just sitting back. If we played Hourihane and Onomah in midfield we may have a bit more energy. 

We may sneak into the play offs come season end.. but i dont think we have enough. The loss of Terry wont help. 

Wolves have been lucky with barely any injuries.. we have lost so many players.. Grealish only just came back.. as with Kodjia and getting re injured. Now the loss of Terry etc etc. Not going to be our year. You need a good run of injuries to get promoted. 

• Like 1

A team with automatic promotion ambitions would have come out in the second half yesterday and really put in a performance and got a draw out of the game. As per usual the halftime teamtalk from Bruce did nothing useful and once we went 2-0 down the game was effectively over. This thread should be renamed the fight for the playoffs because that's the reality. Automatic promotion is a fantasy. 

• Like 2

On 02/11/2017 at 08:43, Raver50032 said:

Sunderland may have a new manager bounce... Be ready for that.

Agree with Trent, next three, go for it... But I'll add my own spin, go for it, or face the hysteria...

Don't mention a new manager bounce to Trent dude. Since reading that he's been petitioning Limpid for a 'Don't like button'

29 minutes ago, villa89 said:

A team with automatic promotion ambitions would have come out in the second half yesterday and really put in a performance and got a draw out of the game. As per usual the halftime teamtalk from Bruce did nothing useful and once we went 2-0 down the game was effectively over. This thread should be renamed the fight for the playoffs because that's the reality. Automatic promotion is a fantasy. 

I thought we gave it a good go in the 2nd half - just wasn’t our day and credit to sheff weds , they deserved it .

• Like 1

No doubt it will be tougher without JT for a good while. I thought we came out well after HT yesterday but didn't use the ball very intelligently. Too much lumping it to Keenan when surrounded by 3 defenders or playing it down the left byline only to not have enough men in the box. Wednesday defended well once they were two goals ahead so let's give them credit for that.

I would expect the next first XI to look something like this:

Johnstone

Elmo     Chester      Jedinak      Taylor

Snodgrass       Whelan     Hourihane

Adomah           Davis            Kodjia

Grealish looked good off the bench yesterday and I would keep him in that role for a while, with more time on the pitch. 

Next 5 matches are QPR (A), Sunderland (H), Ipswich (H), Leeds (A), Millwall (H).

If we have serious aspirations of automatic promotion, we need to be getting 12 points from that run, 10 at an absolute minimum.

We are no better than top 6. Tbe games against Wolves and Shef Wed have proved that. Whether Kodjia plays well or not we seem to win more games when he is in the side and loose more when Hutton is in the side. 

14 hours ago, briny_ear said:

All is not lost but the importance of going on that 4-5 match winning run becomes more & more urgent. Privately I had mapped out today as he first game in a 4 match winning run but there you go.

Agreed. And I think it is now past the point where there is any merit in replacing Bruce. We just have to hope that, under him, we can finish in the playoffs.

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

Agreed. And I think it is now past the point where there is any merit in replacing Bruce. We just have to hope that, under him, we can finish in the playoffs.

With 30 games left I believe we can still achieve automatic promotion regardless of yesterday - there will many twists and turns along the way for everyone .