17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

Cardiff currently trailing at Bristol City...if that stays the same and we can win later and Sheff Utd don't manage to win...then we will be right in the mix by 5pm, only 2 points off second place.

Regardless, if Cardiff lose and we win, we will at least be one point closer to automatic promotion...

We just have to keep doing our bit and winning our games!

6 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

Cardiff currently trailing at Bristol City...if that stays the same and we can win later and Sheff Utd don't manage to win...then we will be right in the mix by 5pm, only 2 points off second place.

Regardless, if Cardiff lose and we win, we will at least be one point closer to automatic promotion...

We just have to keep doing our bit and winning our games!

Cardiff Equalise

EDIT: Draw would also be a very good result for us.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Just looking at the fixtures - this really is a big weekend.

Preston, Ipswich, QPR and Forest are currently in positions 10-13, and they play eachother, so points will be dropped. Sheff Wed are in 14th and they are playing us, and hopefully losing to us.

This might be the week where you see a gap emerge between Norwich/Boro and everyone below, with those above being the teams in contention of the playoffs...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jareth said:

3 points today and we could be 2 points off automatic promotion.

If the Top 2 maintain their Form we need to Win the next 7 on the bounce to catch them.........then we’d need to match them.

In short, unless they slump, we’ve no chance of Top 2.

• Like 1

Just to put things into perspective.

Sheffield Wednesday are 3 points behind us in 11th now.

So in some sense dare I say it, our position is "a false narrative". (Ask Tom Fox)

Not saying we don't deserve the position, just trying to point out that 1 or 2 more bad games and all of a sudden we are mid table again.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

I just can't see Villa finishing in the top two and, if we finish in the play offs (I think we will struggle to do so unless Bruce starts letting the players off the leash more and gets centre back cover in January), I can't see us having the ability to beat the teams around us if we continue to play without urgency and driving forwards. 

Sheffield Wednesday's last three away games were at Derby, Bolton and Small Heath and they lost them all scoring just 1 goal in the process. They also only drew at Burton.

Today was the first time they have scored more than one goal away from home in the league this season. We need to win home games against teams with away records like this because there will be far more difficult teams to play at Villa Park before this season is through. Conceding a first minute screamer is no excuse to lose. There are still over 90 minutes left to play to turn it around - if you're good enough!

Edited by villarocker
  • Like 1

Massive chance today. But we need to take our medicine. Combination of early wonder goal and possibly overconfidence at home. As much as I would love a comprehensive run to the title, this result has the hallmarks of a rollercoaster journey. Terry is basically out now so we need to dig deep, it will be the hard way but it is possible. 

• Like 1

The big fear for me now is if we lose Chester for any reason. A centre back pairing of Jedinak and Samba will have Bruce playing Taylor ahead of Hutton down the left and Elmohamady playing ahead of De Laet down the right.