17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

Shame Grayson left before we played them,  I think we will drop points on Saturday. I think we will show tiredness . 6 or 7 points from next 3 would not be end of the world. Hopefully two wins at home and a draw at QPR

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

The biggest thing we have going for us is momentum. The team believes they can win every game and that they can shut out any team. If you have that then anything can happen really. 

Call it belief , momentum or confidence but we now have it and could really kick on from here 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Shame Grayson left before we played them,  I think we will drop points on Saturday. I think we will show tiredness . 6 or 7 points from next 3 would not be end of the world. Hopefully two wins at home and a draw at QPR

The 3 home games are all very winnable - a point at the bush will set us up nicely for December with 10 points from the next 12 :)

37 minutes ago, Eastie said:

The 3 home games are all very winnable - a point at the bush will set us up nicely for December with 10 points from the next 12 :)

Here is hoping. We must remember Wolves and Cardiff both have to come to Villa Park and I fancy our chances against either one at a packed villa Park 

I felt before yesterday's game that the performance would be a sign of how far we can expect to go this season, as we are well into the season now and this team should know each other by now. The result was up there, I know Preston had a dodgy defence but they are supposedly a bit potent upfront so not only did we nullify them, we were also clinical and it could have been 4, away from home at a team with similar points.

Also got a sneaky feeling Grealish will have a major impact, will have a few sub appearances but he will be playing in a settled team for the first time ever and will have a proper chance to show what he's got. And that's strength in depth, not many others will have our options. 

• Like 1

My worry is that even on this good run we have been on, we still can't close the gap to second. 

we basically can't afford any (many) slip-ups if we want to be in the top 2 by Christmas.

The longer we stay out of the top 2, the more the pressure builds for us to improve our points per match.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

My worry is that even on this good run we have been on, we still can't close the gap to second. 

we basically can't afford any (many) slip-ups if we want to be in the top 2 by Christmas.

The longer we stay out of the top 2, the more the pressure builds for us to improve our points per match.

I'm pretty sure we have closed it, from 10 points to 5. 

• Like 2

I'm not too concerned about that. I mean we are not far off and in very good form. Confidence is building its very obvious to see and I think there is more to come. Let's not put too much pressure on ourselves and just go with the flow for now. We are doing ok mate and we are in a very good position to reach our target which is promotion. Aslong as we can keep within a couple of wins of the top two I'm happy for now. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm pretty sure we have closed it, from 10 points to 5. 

Just 8 games ago we were 9 points off second, 10 points off top. Those gaps are now down to 5 and 6. If we can do something similar over the next 8 games we'll have pretty much caught the top 2.

Edited by markavfc40

37 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Just 8 games ago we were 9 points off second, 10 points off top. Those gaps are now down to 5 and 6. If we can do something similar over the next 8 games we'll have pretty much caught the top 2.

Another 8 games would be half way. So if we have another excellent run of games and results we will still be off our initial target of automatic promotion. 

It shows how much that shit start the season has really made life more difficult for us. 

Hopefully we can do it and continue to close the gap

3 hours ago, ender4 said:

Depends what points are needed for 2nd. I don't believe for a second Cardiff or Sheffield United will finish on 90 + points this season. Wolves might but there's still another promotion spot in play.

If we can reach 40 points by the xmas games I think we're in really good shape for the second half of the season.85 points will be enough for 2nd this season I reckon.

• Like 1

Look out, those above us, we're coming.

lion-roar.jpg

(I posted similar last year but we look a much better, settled side now and I would be surprised if we're not in the mix come the end.  Anything less would be a failure). 

Edited by trekka

Injuries and suspensions will play a part in the promotion race. How teams will handle that will be interesting. I am quite confident in our squad in all positions (maybe except CB).  If JT gets injured we are in trouble.. i would prefer Jedi than Samba there!

but Wolves Cardiff etc.. if they lose 2-3 key players.. i think they will struggle. 

This will be an exciting season if we keep this up!

11 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Another 8 games would be half way. So if we have another excellent run of games and results we will still be off our initial target of automatic promotion. 

It shows how much that shit start the season has really made life more difficult for us. 

Hopefully we can do it and continue to close the gap

We have taken 25 points  from the last 12 games - regardless of the first 3 games if we average 2 points  a game from now till may we will be promoted in my opinion