17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

It's so easy to get carried away right now but, the truth is, we are only a couple of points above the place we finished in last season. That's the pessimism out of the way!

Come on Villa, don't mess it up tomorrow! Win at all costs, the faithful will go wild, and we will be up to 4th and homing in on an automatic promotion place. Seeing the name Aston Villa at the top will frighten the shit out of the rest of the teams in the league! :flag:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dick said:

Why the anger? He is pointing out we have spent 70m and they have apent a fraction to do better. It’s true.

There is no anger.

Don’t see how you picked that up. 

Just logic. Yes, they spend less than us and have a few more points than us this season but it’s taken them 10 years (at least) of utter shit to get to what is probably a temporary moment . 

I repeat, is that how people would like Villa to be? If not, what is the point if the comparison?

20 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If you can't see the point, then there is no point in me trying to explain it to you. lol

Hint: It is none of what you have said above.

Well, I don’t see the point, so indulge me and kindly explain it.

13 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I agree with everything you have said, aside from maybe on Sheffield United.

I will hold my hands up, this is based entirely on the fact that they were in League One last year. So wishful thinking. Can't argue with their form, top of the table over last 10, then just nudged into second by us over the last 6. Very competitive up the top this year. 

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

There is no anger.

Don’t see how you picked that up. 

Just logic. Yes, they spend less than us and have a few more points than us this season but it’s taken them 10 years (at least) of utter shit to get to what is probably a temporary moment . 

I repeat, is that how people would like Villa to be? If not, what is the point if the comparison?

I suspect people are thinking that with the money we have spent we should have done better.

I also suspect that people are worried that we may end up like them.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I suspect people are thinking that with the money we have spent we should have done better.

I also suspect that people are worried that we may end up like them.

Well obviously I share both of those worries. But comparing us with Sheffield United in terms of either current or past performance doesn't shed much light on our own position.

22 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Well obviously I share both of those worries. But comparing us with Sheffield United in terms of either current or past performance doesn't shed much light on our own position.

I don’t think they are, I think they are comparing the performance of the two managers relative to the resources available to them.

• Like 3

Next game will be a real indicator of what we can expect - not only a must-win to maintain 2 points a game, but also a team very near us which simply we must be beating. Another draw and I might start thinking more about play-offs as the goal. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We have a lot of fans with extremely low standards and seem to think scraping the play offs is acceptable.

To be fair, if those fans with the 'high standards' had their way a few weeks ago, we'd be starting again and nowhere near the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

I would have said that before today to be honest.

We need to stop saying that if we want to get promoted. Because you can make the case for at least half the teams being decent. We should be aiming to beat everyone apart from the top 2 or 3 who should be our rivals.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Next game will be a real indicator of what we can expect - not only a must-win to maintain 2 points a game, but also a team very near us which simply we must be beating. Another draw and I might start thinking more about play-offs as the goal. 

If we do not achieve automatic promotion, we can kiss promotion goodbye. In the playoffs this team and manager would choke the way they did today and have done on previous occasions in an important game. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

If we do not achieve automatic promotion, we can kiss promotion goodbye. In the playoffs this team and manager would choke the way they did today and have done on previous occasions in an important game. 

Hmm, not sure its that clear cut, if we get that far we will have a chance. I think it's probably better to judge our chances on a game by game basis than it is to guess about the future based on how much you like the brand of football. After all he's been choking it for most of the season and we are sixth, so he may just choke it in the play off final and win. You don't have to like it.

• Like 2

It's laughable and utterly moronic for people to think it's acceptable to think "ah well at least we are still amongst the teams in it, point gained etc etc " Aston Villa expect automatic promotion and play something that bears semblance to football.  Today was awful,  bloody awful..don't give me it was a derby nonsense..this is the way we play most weeks. We wing it, get it right the odd time,  look shite the rest of it. No, not good enough.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Hmm, not sure its that clear cut, if we get that far we will have a chance. I think it's probably better to judge our chances on a game by game basis than it is to guess about the future based on how much you like the brand of football. After all he's been choking it for most of the season and we are sixth, so he may just choke it in the play off final and win. You don't have to like it.

Well, I don't like it, but if he chokes his way to promotion I will be over the moon. :)