17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

35 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

My issue about how we play isn't so much about it being easy on the eye, that isn't the point, I'm far more pragmatic than that.

My issue is that I don't think that way of playing will result in enough wins, particularly away from home. I don't think its a sustainable way of achieving good form. That is and has always been my issue with the way Bruce approaches games or the way I interpret our performances suggesting how he approaches games, I accept the two things might not be the same.

It is precisely because I want us to win that I'm critical.

I understand perfectly.....and I agree with your view.

I am just enjoying the results, despite the performances.

when I say performances meaning expansive wise.....defensively we are competent.

If you heard me during a game mainly at Home, (because I am reluctant to moan while a game is being played at VP) you wouldn't think it was the same person writing on here.....but I am trying to stay as positive as i can and while the results are favourable it makes it that bit easier.

I just want us to win.....how we win, can come later for me.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

People keep taking the piss about others saying how good Wolves are, Barcahampton and all that, but they are looking like they could go really large against Fulham at the moment, an utterly dominant performance. 

They are really going to take some catching. 

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

People keep taking the piss about others saying how good Wolves are, Barcahampton and all that, but they are looking like they could go really large against Fulham at the moment, an utterly dominant performance. 

Agree. I've said it a few times. It's best of the rest. 

The calibre of players they have is a joke. It's frightening to think who they might sign next season. 

20 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Looking more likely that 2nd place will/would be our Championship win at this point.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

They really haven't been that great tonight. Fulham have been dreadful. Defensively all over the place and have caused zero problems to wolves. 

Wolves have only had a couple chances.

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

They really haven't been that great tonight. Fulham have been dreadful. Defensively all over the place and have caused zero problems to wolves. 

Their passing and moving is so much superior and they look as fit as a butchers dog.They read the game very well and subsequently make the runs and have players who can pick those runs out.

can't see any wheels coming off as they have a powerful squad too, even though they have 5 on loan.

wouldn't bet against them

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

They don't need to be. They got a lead and now are in complete control of the game. Why can't we control games like this? 

It would be back to the walls time at Villa park in this scenario. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Their passing and moving is so much superior and they look as fit as a butchers dog.They read the game very well and subsequently make the runs and have players who can pick those runs out.

can't see any wheels coming off as they have a powerful squad too, even though they have 5 on loan.

wouldn't bet against them

Exactly. They are everything I wish we were. I'm not gonna lie. Im jealous. B******ds! 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Exactly. They are everything I wish we were. I'm not gonna lie. Im jealous. B******ds! 

i'm not taking anything away from us......but they have better quality on the ball in key positions.

their running without the ball is very impressive....first touch premier league standard.

However, fulham are so tentative and paperweight.

back on topic.....we know what we have yo do......WIN.

Edited by TRO

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They don't need to be. They got a lead and now are in complete control of the game. Why can't we control games like this? 

It would be back to the walls time at Villa park in this scenario. 

It's just like the villa game dejavu. But Fulham were worse than us.

i also notice sky tend to show them at home while they always show us Away it's not a fair reflection on live tv for me

Edited by Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Agree. I've said it a few times. It's best of the rest. 

The calibre of players they have is a joke. It's frightening to think who they might sign next season. 

This will be less down to money, and more down to the string pulling of Jorge Mendes as well as the manager.

Finance wise we may even be able to match/outspend them in the Premier League if we are basing this solely on FFP (Then again i'm certain their wage book will be lower than ours).

Unfortunately, you won't have many superstar - lites lining up to play under Steve Bruce!

Wow, Wolves beating Fulham = another chance to take a snipe at Steve Bruce.Very crestive guys.

What can top that? Spurs beating Real? Oh, actually I think I recall that was actually used as a stick to beat him. :crylaugh:

Edited by briny_ear

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Wow, Wolves beating Fulham = another chance to take a snipe at Steve Bruce.Very crestive guys.

What can top that? Spurs beating Real? Oh, actually I think I recall that was actually used as a stick to beat him. :crylaugh:

Either it's what you said.

Or it's people pointing out that they are impressed by a team who have been thrown together in quarter season and look very organised/play good football/top of the League etc.

ALSO, impressed by the fact that it seems they have made good decisions from the top down and are making progress at a rate which seems to be 2 or 3 times the speed of us. After we have been effectively told that we are circling Vultures and deluded because these things take time and players need a season or 2 to gel etc etc and the cow jumped over the moon

Effectively with less overall spend and reputation.

The "taking a snipe" at Bruce is not only because of Wolves beating Fulham so don't let your blind adulation cloud the facts.

It's simply people reinforcing why they think other managers could be doing a better job than Steve Bruce given the time and resources we have had.

I think mentioning Spurs beating Real is a bit of a stretch for a comparison as Spurs are a team which have been carefully built over a multitude of years and have top players, a top manger and probably one of the best strikers in Europe/The World at the moment. While Real are going through a rough patch.

Ironically, the Spurs level is where we should/could have been now if we were romantically nourished more.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some very defeatish attitude here already. Why should we wave the white flag to wolves already? Its november a lot can happen, injuries, bans poor form etc. Its looking likely wolves will be champs but everyone said same about newcastle and they only won it final game of the season because of us. Lets continue to make it uncomfortable for them and then when we get to the final 3rd all the pressure will be on them to continue winning. There will be high expectations on them.

We have experienced players who know whats its like to be at the top. Do wolves? No so thats one advantage we have over them.

We are aston villa we fear no one espically in the championship. 

Edited by Demitri_C

Whilst Wolves are playing some really good football currently, if they were that good they would be winning every game and cruising the league. With a win today we are still only 6 points behind them.

I think sometimes it's forgotten just how long a Championship season is, we are only 3 months in, with 6 months left to play.

An example... Aston Villa 1998-99, playing arguably the best football in the league and sat at the top of the Premier League, halfway through the season we collapsed and finished up in 6th place.

Wolves are likely to hit a patch of poor form (in my opinion this is most likely to happen during the winter period where some of there players aren't used to the weather and the amount of games in such a short space of time). For us we have players who are used to this and we need to take full advantage of it.

Yes, some of our football is bland, boring and one dimensional. However this is the first time in a long time that we have a settled side picking up results, giving us a platform to build on. Add into that players returning from injury in Grealish, Lansbury & Kodjia (when fully fit) it gives us another option to change our style.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Whilst Wolves are playing some really good football currently, if they were that good they would be winning every game and cruising the league. With a win today we are still only 6 points behind them.

I think sometimes it's forgotten just how long a Championship season is, we are only 3 months in, with 6 months left to play.

An example... Aston Villa 1998-99, playing arguably the best football in the league and sat at the top of the Premier League, halfway through the season we collapsed and finished up in 6th place.

Wolves are likely to hit a patch of poor form (in my opinion this is most likely to happen during the winter period where some of there players aren't used to the weather and the amount of games in such a short space of time). For us we have players who are used to this and we need to take full advantage of it.

Yes, some of our football is bland, boring and one dimensional. However this is the first time in a long time that we have a settled side picking up results, giving us a platform to build on. Add into that players returning from injury in Grealish, Lansbury & Kodjia (when fully fit) it gives us another option to change our style.

Thats the thing they havw had no major injuries to their best players. We have had no kodjia mpst of the season. No grealish, jedinak, green.

If bonati and jota got injuries id like to see how they do. Also when bad form kicks in is their experience to kick on? Remembwr brighton a few years ago? They were cruising then fell apart after  couple defeats.

Of course this could happen to us but i frel we have the experience to deal with it. Wolves wont if that happens.

15 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

The eternal unspoken debate which sustains this forum and will forever more... 

As an Aston Villa fan, is my search for happiness and the fact it continues to elude me, a sickness all of my own, or can I find someone to blame? 

This can be extended to the entire human condition really, I don’t think it’s just us Villans :) 

15 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

This can be extended to the entire human condition really, I don’t think it’s just us Villans :) 

Agreed re: it's universal application, but I personally think we are special in our suffering. 

You don't have to look far for any number of 'Villa ruined my otherwise perfect life' case studies.