17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

We need to stop saying that if we want to get promoted. Because you can make the case for at least half the teams being decent. We should be aiming to beat everyone apart from the top 2 or 3 who should be our rivals.

I should have put this in to context, I would have said this before today's game, but now feel we must win.

• Like 1

I think we'll finish top 6.

We're a much better all round team than last season. We're keeping more clean sheets and while last year Kodjia scored the vast majority of goals this year plenty of players from midfield are chipping in.

My target however at the start of the season was top 2. We could still win the play offs but I'd rather not rely on that route as there's always a danger we'd freeze in the final given all the pressure and what we're usually like at Wembley.

We're going to need another 60 points this season to be in contention for 2nd. I just don't see given how we approach the majority of away games under this manager we'll win enough of them to be in with a good chance of claiming top 2.

Even with our good run of 5 wins out of 7 we're still 5 points off 2nd. I'm not convinced. Would love to be proved wrong of course.

59 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I have no faith that we'd get 3 consecutive good results against two top 6 teams. 

You could get promoted by winning one of those 3 games, drawing one and losing one.

EDIT: Now that I think about it you could also draw all three and still get promoted.

Edited by villa89

Big game on Wednesday against Preston now - before the Birmingham game I would have took 4 points from these 2 games, so that means we now have to get a win here.

Its very congested in the top half of the table, and we need to carry on our momentum for the next 2 months as thats when the pack will split.

Given what we have seen in the last couple of years, I think we start to slip, we might struggle to make up ground again.

Bruce has to find a place for Davis in the team - he has already become the crucial player to our style of play. I think the second half on Sunday showed that when we are playing tough games, it may be effective to play both Whelan and Jedinak behind Hourihane, and with Kodjia and Adomah either side of Davis.

so he may just choke it in the play off final and win. You don't have to like it.

But its ok to choke it in the semi final then and not get to the final?

or choke over 46games and not even getting into the top 6

Edited by Grasshopper

20 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

We will absolutely no way go up in the playoffs. It's top two or bust. 

We were never going to get top 2 so Play Offs was our only hope. I am amazed that we are in the top 6 tbh. I doubt we will stay there but we are doing better than I thought we would.

19 hours ago, villa89 said:

I don't really know how you can say that, the playoffs are a bit of a lottery.

Sorry to pick on your comment but I hate it when people say that. It's so ridiculously untrue. It's the same with the "lottery"  of penalties. That's not a lottery either. There is no spin of wheel, no coin toss, no raffle or balls out of a bowl. You have to play football and the winner of said football is the winner. 

Where is the lottery in that?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Sorry to pick on your comment but I hate it when people say that. It's so ridiculously untrue. It's the same with the "lottery"  of penalties. That's not a lottery either. There is no spin of wheel, no coin toss, no raffle or balls out of a bowl. You have to play football and the winner of said football is the winner. 

Where is the lottery in that?

Can you totally eliminate the element of chance in football?

I think it's fair to say playoffs are a bit of a lottery in that a lesser team can "get lucky" in a very limited number of games, much like they can and often do in cup ties.

With penalties I'd suggest there is an element of lottery as well in that if the keeper chooses to go the right way he will quite often save it. If he does so you can say he's been a bit lucky, unless he's done loads of homework on the taker and "knows" which way to go.

2 hours ago, GeordieVillan said:

Big game on Wednesday against Preston now - before the Birmingham game I would have took 4 points from these 2 games, so that means we now have to get a win here.

Its very congested in the top half of the table, and we need to carry on our momentum for the next 2 months as thats when the pack will split.

Given what we have seen in the last couple of years, I think we start to slip, we might struggle to make up ground again.

Bruce has to find a place for Davis in the team - he has already become the crucial player to our style of play. I think the second half on Sunday showed that when we are playing tough games, it may be effective to play both Whelan and Jedinak behind Hourihane, and with Kodjia and Adomah either side of Davis.

I think that is a sensible shout,( particularly away from home) but I do not expect it to get much support on here.

43 minutes ago, BigJim said:

unless he's done loads of homework on the taker and "knows" which way to go.

So you can eliminate the lottery element by doing some research on t opponent? Does't that prove that far from being a lottery it's actually about skill and hard work?

Penalties are not a lottery. If you put the ball in certain spots at certain speed then no keeper can save it.

The play offs are not a lottery because you have to play a fair game of football against your opponent. Is the FA Cup a lottery? Or the World Cup?

Statistically, the higher you finish, the better the chance of promotion.  As one would expect.  Though in the Championship alone, it's only really the team finishing third that has a significantly better chance of winning the playoffs:

Positions of teams promoted in play-offs

Position Championship League One League Two Total Percentage
3rd (4th in L2) 10 9 13 32 39.50%
4th (5th in L2) 5 7 5 17 21%
5th (6th in L2) 7 5 4 16 19.80%
6th (7th in L2) 5 6 5 16 19.80%

For me if it were play offs, it's vital we finish 3rd or 4th as having the second game at villa park would be key. We know how special a place a packed villa park can be and I could imagine the atmosphere would be electric like Ajax, tranmere, athletics Madrid etc.

We can beat any team in the league at villa park I feel on a normal day, but in a play off game I think what we would be beat anyone at villa park. But if we had second leg away think we would do what we do best and crumble