Chris Samba

midian

Too be honest I would much rather see Samba coming on from the bench over both Elphick & Richards.

I also wouldn't imagine his wage demands are anything like they were when he was playing Premiership football.

We just have to trust Bruce's decision on this one, he know's a decent CB when he see's one from his time playing as one. He's also done a very good job with the defence since joining the club.

• Like 4

The romantic in me wants us to get him, but the realist says, wages, age and the fact we have just signed JT, means CS has to now be a no. We have 4 first choice CB's now with Richards in reserve. But at 33 you would think he must have 2/3 seasons left in him at least; and a Samba Terry partnership does say experience, aggression, winning mentality to me. But also, a serious lack of pace. 

At 33, his age isn't a huge concern. Particularly when we have just signed 57 year-old John Terry. 

But the type of injury he had (herniated disk in his neck) is obviously an issue.  For mere mortals doing an everyday job, with the right physio and rest it might be one of those things you can eventually work around.  

A centre half who will spend a fair chunk of his week heading a football might not get that luxury. 

He looks in good shape physically, but can understand Bruce being cautious. 

Edited by HolteExile

Hope we sign him and Whelan.

Will be fun to watch the slowest central line in the history of football if we play Samba, Terry, Jedinak & Whelan together.

Just need Crouch to bring it all together.

• Like 4

I thought old candleface would be interested in Samba. Chance to relive all those dodgy as **** deals he did with him and the Russians. 

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Is he still with us on trial?

He's been in Portugal with the squad this week.

I'm not really sure what counts a 'trial', but if this is one it's got be the longest trial I can remember.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

He's been in Portugal with the squad this week.

I'm not really sure what counts a 'trial', but if this is one it's got be the longest trial I can remember.

The McLibel trial was the longest in English history so Samba's trial with us has a while to run yet. ;) It began on 28/6/94 and the high court judgement was given 19/6/97. I doubt that if Samba is not offered a contract (which I think he just might be) that he will lodge an appeal and go to the European Court of Human Rights as was the case with McLibel (pre-Brexit).:)   

Edited by John
  • Like 1

Just now, theboyangel said:

Yes but dread to see him up against anyone with a modicum of pace.

still, a better option than Richards 

This 100%. If we need a 4th choice center back, I'd rather have Samba than someone like Richards. I believe Chester, Terry, and Baker will all be above Samba in the pecking order even if we sign him. I am fine with Samba since he is an actual centerback unlike Richards. 

• Like 3

He has the turning speed of the titanic and will get beaten by anyone with an ounce of pace but i could see him having his uses with someone quick next to him against the more physical taller strikers that will try and rough us up

Edited by AshVilla

Â