Chris Samba

midian

9 hours ago, Dave J said:

Surely a trial is a trial - not sure where your going with this one Stevo or what you are trying to say 

Well as I understood it, it wasn't a case of Aston Villa saying "Chris Samba is available, let's get him in for a trial and see if we can offer him a contract"

It was more a case of Samba was unattached and was looking for somewhere to train to get his fitness up. We let him train with us and if he got himself fit then we'd have a look at him.

Players train with clubs all the time. Beckham was training with Arsenal a few years back, but there was no intention of Arsenal signing him. Sometimes it's a trial, sometimes it's just letting a player get up to fitness.

As I understood it, the Samba arrangement was more the latter.

I guess the point I'm making is Bruce wasn't necessarily interested in signing Samba, and he wasn't really brought in with the intention of being "on trial". It was more a case of helping the player out by letting him get fit and then hey, if he turns out to be fit enough and good enough then we'll have a look at him.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Dave J said:

Surely a trial is a trial - not sure where your going with this one Stevo or what you are trying to say 

To be fair, @Stevo985 is right, Bruce wanted to be clear it wasn't a 'trial'. 

Steve Bruce has emphasised that Chris Samba is NOT on trial at Aston Villa.

Samba has been training with Villa since last month and had a run out with the under-23s in Monday night's victory over Wolves at Molineux.

"Can I put it out there that's he's not on trial," said Bruce, speaking at his press conference ahead of this weekend's Championship match against Sheffield Wednesday at Villa Park.

Video here; 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-boss-steve-bruce-12722518

It seems like Bruce is arguing semantics tbh, its not a trial, but if he gets fit etc, we'll take a look at him. A not-a-trial-trial then! 

22 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Video here; 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-boss-steve-bruce-12722518

It seems like Bruce is arguing semantics tbh, its not a trial, but if he gets fit etc, we'll take a look at him. A not-a-trial-trial then! 

Yep! 

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

Video here; 

It does make sense though. He's not ruling out an eventual trial, but the intention wasn't to trial him when he came here. 

Think of it as me going to do work experience at a company. All they're intending is to give me 2 weeks exoerience. BUT if it turns out that I'm actually really good and can do a proper job, then they might take me on

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It does make sense though. He's not ruling out an eventual trial, but the intention wasn't to trial him when he came here. 

Think of it as me going to do work experience at a company. All they're intending is to give me 2 weeks exoerience. BUT if it turns out that I'm actually really good and can do a proper job, then they might take me on

Stevo - relax you are taking this a tad to serious - if it's a trial yippee - if not whoopy doo.

happy to hand you the no trial baton 

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Samba and Terry next season :lol:

That would be hilarious.

What tempers the hilarity is that I've no doubt we will play them with a high line of defence and watch as all and sundry cut through us like any hot through anything soft.

36 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Samba and Terry next season :lol:

That would be hilarious.

Or a back 3 with Terry, Samba and Jedinak :D

Would be quite terrifying for the opponents to see those 3 lumbering up when we have an attacking set piece, but even more terrifying for us having to watch them trying to scramble back after said set piece.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villan_007 said:

I'll add the bit rodders failed to mention...

...in the hope of winning a contract.

Sorry i couldn’t put a negative spin on it.

Well of course, otherwise I would have posted he signed a contract. 

Edited by rodders0223

So the trial that's not a trial - looks like continuing to not be a trial or is it? Sorry but whilst I would take Terry for 12 months - I would not wish to see Chris Samba in our defence

• Like 1

13 hours ago, terrytini said:

As a minimum Terry brings strong character.

As a maximum Samba brings nothing we can't get anywhere else.

Samba only managed to play 6 games last season.

Â