Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

On 2/10/2017 at 20:08, Wezbid said:

I will probably get run off the board for saying this... but... How about Hutton covering the DM role, he's got the energy and does actually have the physicality to win the aerial duels. As long as he's told not to cross the half way line and to just give it to Lansbury or Hourihane. 

its not just all that......its the reading of the game from that role.

• Like 4

watching the highlights and not for the first time I was impressed how many times he went past the striker and into the box. pity he got injured as I feel a goal could have started a nice streak for him

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sne said:

So is the left side cursed?

Green, Birkir, Grealish...

Who will dare play there next time.

Ive always spoken about how we often seem to bypass playing through the left side too, we finally start doing so and....yeah

• Like 1

On 11/02/2017 at 04:05, Wezbid said:

It's pretty easy to just say Hutton has no positional sense at all whilst ignoring that for season's he's been expected to be the attacking threat down the right whilst also defending that side at the same time. There are gaps there because he actually tries to support the attack and then when moves break down via himself, other inept players further up the field he is left playing catch-up to try and get back in position He's not just completely naive to marking a player. He wouldn't be found wanting half as much positionally if he wasn't expected to be bombing forward at the same time. I specifically said in my post that he would have to be told to restrict his forward movement and keep it simple.

His energy and ability to win physical duels are an asset, I'm not saying he's made to be a DM but when the other options are more forward thinking midflelders or Gary Gardner then it's not quite so mental as you're trying to make out in my view. In Jedinak's absense we've been raped through the CM with Lansbury, Hourihane and Bjarnason in there. Mock my understanding of the game all you want but yes, I think a more defensive player with the energy and ball winning attributes is maybe worth a try. 

Ask most players to get up and down the wing like Hutton has been the past season or so and they too will look positionally poor whilst having to deal with pacey wingers as the same time as being expected to get into the final 3rd and whip balls in.

Full backs covering in DM is not an alien concept. Hutton is a massive punching bag at the club but there are reasons as to why he's not always in the right position other than the 'he's sh*t' simplicity then gets tossed at him. 

I can accept that you don't agree with me but I'm not some simple, moron who doesn't understand that different roles require different attributes or characteristics. I didn't simply say that because he's got good energy levels and can win physical battles that he can prosper in the role. I was merely suggesting that they are things that would help him if he filled in for that role, emphasis on the filling in, not advocating for him to be converted. 

with respect

The thought of giving away so many free kicks outside the box would be frightening.

Add the walkabouts and leaving space behind him I dont think its a good idea.

the only plus points I can think of would be that he wouldnt be marauding down the flank falling over/losing possesion/putting in a bad cross, playing/passing people into trouble, being caught in possesion, Being out of position and no more throw ins.

Can someone please remind me why he still plays for us?

He really is a shit footballer even in the CH

7 hours ago, KSV said:

Blessing in disguise imo. Pretty average player. Prefer one of the kids get a go. 

I actually think he was starting to play well. He's a decent player IMO and time will prove that. I essentially see him as a better version of Bacuna in terms of being a bit of a jack of all trades but a master of none. Unlike Bacuna he invariably has a decent first touch and is a better passer. Plus he will chip in with more goals.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I actually think he was starting to play well. He's a decent player IMO and time will prove that. I essentially see him as a better version of Bacuna in terms of being a bit of a jack of all trades but a master of none. Unlike Bacuna he invariably has a decent first touch and is a better passer. Plus he will chip in with more goals.

He may be a decent squad player.. but i think Bruce him would have over used him. Would have preferred Grealish to start instead of him against sides like Rotherham. 

1 hour ago, KSV said:

He may be a decent squad player.. but i think Bruce him would have over used him. Would have preferred Grealish to start instead of him against sides like Rotherham. 

Out of interest, why?  And how would Bjarnason be "over used"?  He seems like a player that has a great work ethic (something which Bruce has alluded that he wants before) and who gets into great positions.  IMO, Grealish has neither of these qualities yet.

1 hour ago, Lerner's Driver said:

With respect to you and your lists...

What is it with your relentless, absolute certainty about EVERYTHING? As with most of your observations, we are all seeing the same stuff and yes it's frustrating, disappointing, etc etc. But, we don't all then arrive at the simplest possible conclusion that the thing we've focused our attention on is clearly 'shit' with only double negative plus points in its favour.

He clearly isn't shit, he just hasn't shown what he's capable of for Aston Villa - something a lot of our players have suffered from in recent weeks, but are now slowly beginning to turn around. There's a subtle difference.

Have you considered for a moment the possibility that this player and a few of the other new recruits, might just be nervous or struggling with the pressure? Is that okay do you think, or does it pure and simply make them tallentless gutless pansies who only deserve abuse rather than encouragement?

You're not alone - plenty think its a good idea to hurl abuse, but personally I think it is pathetic and counter productive. 

There were plenty to write off benteke after his first 3 games - people often need time to settle especially those coming to a new country .

Like what i've seen so far of Bjarnason. Busy little player. Every side needs at least one of those especially in this league. Still think he would be better used in the DM role when Jedinak is unavailable. Was just showing signs of settling too so it's a pity that he is now injured. 

40 minutes ago, striker said:

Like what i've seen so far of Bjarnason. Busy little player. Every side needs at least one of those especially in this league. Still think he would be better used in the DM role when Jedinak is unavailable. Was just showing signs of settling too so it's a pity that he is now injured. 

I don't think he's anywhere near disciplined enough to play DM. 

However count me in those that were starting to see signs of why we bought him. He was having a decent game on Saturday up until his injury. 

• Like 2

Â