Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I thought he was better today -he's got good energy, he's chasing people and getting into decent positions and he looked better on the ball. I think there's a fair argument for saying he was our best player on a forgettable day. He's not the most talented player we have, but he's a grafter and he's settling into it I think. I have a feeling he'll be fine.

This. I'm surprised by the reaction.

I think he was poor in his first two appearances. I thought today he was much better. Not amazing or anything, but he did alright.

I do think he's still struggling for fitness though. Looked tired second half.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philgetaway said:

Not fit to wear the shirt. Runs a lot but doesn't get near to anyone to tackle, and doesn't show when we have the ball. 

Fair play he hit the bar, but I've no idea what he could / does contribute. 

I see comments like this and wonder what game some people actually watch. He got round plenty, showed and took the ball on, certainly put his foot in well enough too, visibly tired after and hour, but hey it'd be boring if we all agreed! Maybe the crossbar incident he could have contributed to a 3 inch lower shot and that would help ;-)

not fit to wear the shirt though....try again.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

This. I'm surprised by the reaction.

I think he was poor in his first two appearances. I thought today he was much better. Not amazing or anything, but he did alright.

I do think he's still struggling for fitness though. Looked tired second half.

You think he was our best player?

He was better but when the previous standard is one of the worst debuts in years, it's not that difficult to improve on that. 

He was barely involved compared to other two midfield players. 

I think he was once again a let down. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mammoth10 said:

I see comments like this and wonder what game some people actually watch. He got round plenty, showed and took the ball on, certainly put his foot in well enough too, visibly tired after and hour, but hey it'd be boring if we all agreed! Maybe the crossbar incident he could have contributed to a 3 inch lower shot and that would help ;-)

not fit to wear the shirt though....try again.

Yeah we all have different opinions mate, that's the beauty of footy.  He gets round a plenty without actually doing anything.  I didn't see him close to his man to make a tackle, on the ball he had the shot, and fizzed a decent low ball during 2nd half that didn't beat the first man. 

Has shown nothing more to me than what Bacuna could offer. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I think he was once again a let down. 

Honest question, what standard of player did you expect given that he is 28 and was signed from FC basel for a fee in the region of £2m*?

I have only seen him play once but given the reports from the game yesterday I expect we just got what we paid for. A decent squad player who gives 100% in every game.

*Reference: http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2017/01/26/birkir-bjarnason-can-add-energy-to-aston-villa-midfield/

35 minutes ago, philgetaway said:

Yeah we all have different opinions mate, that's the beauty of footy.  He gets round a plenty without actually doing anything.  I didn't see him close to his man to make a tackle, on the ball he had the shot, and fizzed a decent low ball during 2nd half that didn't beat the first man. 

Has shown nothing more to me than what Bacuna could offer. 

Fair enough there mate, it's just the over the top comments like not fit to wear the shirt, there are and have been far more fitting candidates for that title :)

• Like 1

Right so he's finished then, three games and he is shit. When will the booing start ?. Perhaps if supporters got behind players they would perform to a higher level more consistently ? Given their 'reputations' before signing have Hourihane or Lansbury lived up to their hype after three games or are they allowed more time because we really want to like them ? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, smg said:

Right so he's finished then, three games and he is shit. When will the booing start ?. Perhaps if supporters got behind players they would perform to a higher level more consistently ? Given their 'reputations' before signing have Hourihane or Lansbury lived up to their hype after three games or are they allowed more time because we really want to like them ? 

Lansbury has been our best player in 2 out of 3 games and hourihane has become much more involved and caused havoc with his set pieces. 

37 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Honest question, what standard of player did you expect given that he is 28 and was signed from FC basel for a fee in the region of £2m*?

I have only seen him play once but given the reports from the game yesterday I expect we just got what we paid for. A decent squad player who gives 100% in every game.

*Reference: http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2017/01/26/birkir-bjarnason-can-add-energy-to-aston-villa-midfield/

So a cheap signing means we have to be pleased if they just try hard?

If he's not good enough then he shouldn't be playing, regardless of how much we paid. 

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Lansbury has been our best player in 2 out of 3 games and hourihane has become much more involved and caused havoc with his set pieces. 

but they came during the season, before the Brentford game Bjarnason hasnt played since December.

he should have been eased into the squad to build his fitness back up

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

but they came during the season, before the Brentford game Bjarnason hasnt played since December.

he should have been eased into the squad to build his fitness back up

I agree. I'm not writing him off, he's clearly got a bit about him. But I think he's looked terrible so far. He should be used as a sub more with the aim of next season. I'm also unsure what position Bruce sees him in, he has now played in what seems like 3 different places. 

32 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

You were agreeing with the post that said he was arguably our best player yesterday. 

Ah my bad. Missed that bit. 

No I don't think he was our best but he was probably in the top 3 or 4.

I was more agreeing with the sentiment that he was better than he has been and he isn't the most talented player but will probably be "fine".

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I thought he was better today -he's got good energy, he's chasing people and getting into decent positions and he looked better on the ball. I think there's a fair argument for saying he was our best player on a forgettable day. He's not the most talented player we have, but he's a grafter and he's settling into it I think. I have a feeling he'll be fine.

I came to this thread to say exactly the same thing. I completely agree.

• Like 1

He touched the ball 38 times and attempted 24 passes. 

For comparison to his fellow midfield players. 

Lansbury touched the ball 93 times and attempted 68 passes.

Hourihane touched the ball 86 times and attempted 55 passes. 

Both literally did double what he did. Compared to them two he wasn't in the game. IMO he was the weak link in midfield and was a let down again. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Both literally did double what he did.

How far did they run, how many runs did they make, chases did they do, players closed down, tackles made shots at goal? what was their role in the side? Grrr. Stats. :angry:

• Like 3

Â