Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

1 hour ago, sne said:

He'll get his game time as Jedinak will likely need to be rested or subbed.

If in fact, you see him as a player to directly fill in for Jedinak.

I am not sure I do......I don't see Bjarnason dominating aerially, but I could be wrong?

Edited by TRO

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

If in fact, you see him as a player to directly fill in for Jedinak.

I am not sure I do......I don't see Bjarnason dominating aerially, but I could be wrong?

No I agree he'll be used as a utility player, and not at all a like for like with Jedi. They have very different pro's and con's.

I just think that Jedi is likely to miss quite a fair number of games meaning there will be a spot in the team for Birkir.

• Like 1

I will probably get run off the board for saying this... but... How about Hutton covering the DM role, he's got the energy and does actually have the physicality to win the aerial duels. As long as he's told not to cross the half way line and to just give it to Lansbury or Hourihane. 

Playing all the new signings in one go simply hasn't worked. We need to let one or 2 sit it out of this game. For me Birkir needs to sit this one out as he's just not a left back and doesn't look as good as Lansbury or Hourihane. If we are playing 5 at the back again then Amavi needs to come back in. Id introduce Taylor in the 2nd half.

44 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

I will probably get run off the board for saying this... but... How about Hutton covering the DM role, he's got the energy and does actually have the physicality to win the aerial duels. As long as he's told not to cross the half way line and to just give it to Lansbury or Hourihane. 

Players can't just play somewhere because they have 'energy' and 'physicality'. In the role that holds positional awareness and reading of the game as two of the most important aspects, you ironically suggest probably the very worst player in our team in relation to those to play in that position. 

Sometimes I really do question people's understanding of the game. 

5 hours ago, Regista said:

Players can't just play somewhere because they have 'energy' and 'physicality'. In the role that holds positional awareness and reading of the game as two of the most important aspects, you ironically suggest probably the very worst player in our team in relation to those to play in that position. 

Sometimes I really do question people's understanding of the game. 

It's pretty easy to just say Hutton has no positional sense at all whilst ignoring that for season's he's been expected to be the attacking threat down the right whilst also defending that side at the same time. There are gaps there because he actually tries to support the attack and then when moves break down via himself, other inept players further up the field he is left playing catch-up to try and get back in position He's not just completely naive to marking a player. He wouldn't be found wanting half as much positionally if he wasn't expected to be bombing forward at the same time. I specifically said in my post that he would have to be told to restrict his forward movement and keep it simple.

His energy and ability to win physical duels are an asset, I'm not saying he's made to be a DM but when the other options are more forward thinking midflelders or Gary Gardner then it's not quite so mental as you're trying to make out in my view. In Jedinak's absense we've been raped through the CM with Lansbury, Hourihane and Bjarnason in there. Mock my understanding of the game all you want but yes, I think a more defensive player with the energy and ball winning attributes is maybe worth a try. 

Ask most players to get up and down the wing like Hutton has been the past season or so and they too will look positionally poor whilst having to deal with pacey wingers as the same time as being expected to get into the final 3rd and whip balls in.

Full backs covering in DM is not an alien concept. Hutton is a massive punching bag at the club but there are reasons as to why he's not always in the right position other than the 'he's sh*t' simplicity then gets tossed at him. 

I can accept that you don't agree with me but I'm not some simple, moron who doesn't understand that different roles require different attributes or characteristics. I didn't simply say that because he's got good energy levels and can win physical battles that he can prosper in the role. I was merely suggesting that they are things that would help him if he filled in for that role, emphasis on the filling in, not advocating for him to be converted. 

• Like 2

On 11/02/2017 at 03:05, Wezbid said:

It's pretty easy to just say Hutton has no positional sense at all whilst ignoring that for season's he's been expected to be the attacking threat down the right whilst also defending that side at the same time. There are gaps there because he actually tries to support the attack and then when moves break down via himself, other inept players further up the field he is left playing catch-up to try and get back in position He's not just completely naive to marking a player. He wouldn't be found wanting half as much positionally if he wasn't expected to be bombing forward at the same time. I specifically said in my post that he would have to be told to restrict his forward movement and keep it simple.

His energy and ability to win physical duels are an asset, I'm not saying he's made to be a DM but when the other options are more forward thinking midflelders or Gary Gardner then it's not quite so mental as you're trying to make out in my view. In Jedinak's absense we've been raped through the CM with Lansbury, Hourihane and Bjarnason in there. Mock my understanding of the game all you want but yes, I think a more defensive player with the energy and ball winning attributes is maybe worth a try. 

Ask most players to get up and down the wing like Hutton has been the past season or so and they too will look positionally poor whilst having to deal with pacey wingers as the same time as being expected to get into the final 3rd and whip balls in.

Full backs covering in DM is not an alien concept. Hutton is a massive punching bag at the club but there are reasons as to why he's not always in the right position other than the 'he's sh*t' simplicity then gets tossed at him. 

I can accept that you don't agree with me but I'm not some simple, moron who doesn't understand that different roles require different attributes or characteristics. I didn't simply say that because he's got good energy levels and can win physical battles that he can prosper in the role. I was merely suggesting that they are things that would help him if he filled in for that role, emphasis on the filling in, not advocating for him to be converted. 

The things you mentioned aren't important attributes though. Having good energy levels is far more important for the other 2 CM's and RB, where he actually plays. You don't need to run up and down at DM, you need to be reading the game quicker than anyone else, keeping team shape, intercepting passing lanes, coming short for the ball, and actually passing to a team mate. 

Can you name some RB's who have moved to DM and done a good job? I don't mean an ok job for one game, I mean who actually look comfortable in that position, although I think our opinion of looking comfortable in that position will probably differ. Please don't include Philip Lahm in this, he's a world class footballer and isn't comparable in the slightest.

Hutton is also not expected to be the attacking threat down the right, especially with Bruce, our full backs hardly push up. When we don't have the ball they set up as a very narrow four and Hutton is consistently caught out. Doesn't track runners or intercept passing lanes, and when he has the ball his distribution is quite frankly embarrassing. You sound like you feel Hutton gets unfair criticism but he's one of the players that's been stealing a living with us for far too long, he's simply a poor player. Let's give him a clap because he looks like he cares and puts in the effort, no, he's a seriously poor player.

Next time he starts, watch how many times he gets caught out, not because the team is stretched but simply because he just isn't up to speed with the game and has no idea where his man is. Not quite sure where you get this concept of Villa having attacking full backs either. Maybe once or twice in a game he will push forward and put a god awful cross in, that is not being expected to get up the pitch all game, we don't keep the ball for long enough for that anyway.    

9 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

So is everyone. There's no point scape goating when whole team is shit as ****

3 games in and I still dont know what he does!So yeah out of all the players he stands out as the worst!

I thought he was better today -he's got good energy, he's chasing people and getting into decent positions and he looked better on the ball. I think there's a fair argument for saying he was our best player on a forgettable day. He's not the most talented player we have, but he's a grafter and he's settling into it I think. I have a feeling he'll be fine.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I thought he was better today -he's got good energy, he's chasing people and getting into decent positions and he looked better on the ball. I think there's a fair argument for saying he was our best player on a forgettable day. He's not the most talented player we have, but he's a grafter and he's settling into it I think. I have a feeling he'll be fine.

I could not disagree more. 

I think he managed two touches in the first 15 minutes of the game. 

I also didn't see much evidence of this legendary work rate he's meant to bring. 

He looks well out of his depth at the moment. 

Â