Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

10 hours ago, AVFC44 said:

I thought he looked promising. Joined in a bad period and then got injured just when we were about to pick up form towards the end of the season.

He got in to some good positions and if he'd have had some more composure then he would have probably got a couple of goals. If he can settle well over pre-season then I think he'll be a good player.

This or things like "he had some good touches" seems to be the norm these days for Villa players. 

I agree, I don't think he will set the world alight but I think he is someone with a good engine that can get into the opposition box when the game is stretched and bang a few goals.

I am going to be optomistic and put him down for 7 goals.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, vreitti said:

This or things like "he had some good touches" seems to be the norm these days for Villa players. 

I understand how you feel, mediocrity being the norm but I do agree. Thor got into some handy positions and was on at least a few occasions the only villa player genuinely 'attacking the (penalty) box'

• 2 weeks later...

Just a nod to Thor. Had a disrupted season and hopefully is geared up for an amazing season. Cannot forget how much he stood out in the Euros against top opposition, no fluke. Skilful, industrious, unselfish, exciting ... but we haven't seen the best from him or anywhere near it. Expecting him to shine when given the chance this season. We have a weapon in Birkir that we hadnt fully figured out how to deploy last season, then the injury. 

Come on lad, good luck and I'm looking forward to your appearances, your runs, assists, goals. Everything! 

Not this though. No, none of this Thor:

France+v+Iceland+Quarter+Final+UEFA+Euro

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

If we persist with him over Grealish I'll be dissappointed. What does he do that's good? He's not athletic, he's not technically sound, he's not amazing at crossing. What's he in there for?

One moment in first half he had player make run in front of him and he could've played forward ball. It's as if he didn't even see it, probably didn't, no vision, waited and played a boring back pass. Other than that repeatedly couldn't trap the ball or passed to no one or opposition. He's crap. 

• Like 2

Had a poor game today. Seems like his ball handling really isn't that great. He messed up a few trappings under no pressure. He says he likes to attack and score goals, but he looks a little limited. More needed from him if he's to warrant a starting spot.

Strikes me as a player bought on Video-tape viewing and not really scouted. Not sure what his strengths are or his best position in which formation. I think he was offered as being versatile for the right price and Round/Bruce watched a YouTube vid produced by his agent. Deal done.

• Like 2

eh..shot in the dark sort of signing,had the game of his life against woys englands side & boom he ends up at villa.

never seen his do the basics yet in a villa shirt..you know..trap a ball, pass a ball, head up,just the small things is a help

• Like 1

Â