Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

11 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Another excellent "analysis" from this fan. :D

We said it because we can only judge by what we see on the pitch and he was crap. The coaches and manager see the real player day in day out. Credit to Bruce for sticking with him. 

Edit: let me also say out of all positions confidence is probably the most important for a GK. You have even the slightest doubt in yourself and you will mess up. Right now you can tell he feels unbeatable and in turn is playing that way.  His ability was always there. He is now starting to show it.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Still needs to improve his long kicking a bit, but he's a decent shot stopper (compared to some of the near post goals he let in last year), so has improved that.  You feel he has good hands, doesn't mind coming for crosses and his punching seems ok too.

He sets up good walls for free-kicks, which is a major point for me, one that not even a great keeper like Schmichel could sort out!

Keep going Sam :) 

The posts are few pages back make for great reading :D 

He's been solid so far this season.  The best part about it, for me, has been his command in the air.  He seems to claim a lot of crosses now and the centre backs have their faith in him.  It's a far cry from some of the nonsense seen last season.

Thought he did well yesterday, as he grows in confidence he's growing as a player. Bruce mentioned that in Jan he plans to ask the question about a permanent deal for him. I would be well up for that, I think he's done well this season and is becoming better and better as he gets to know his back four.

He did really well yesterday, good lad.

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Thought he did well yesterday, as he grows in confidence he's growing as a player. Bruce mentioned that in Jan he plans to ask the question about a permanent deal for him. I would be well up for that, I think he's done well this season and is becoming better and better as he gets to know his back four.

He did really well yesterday, good lad.

I can’t really see why he would want to sign for us in Jan, he can wait until the summer and see what division we are in and what options he has.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I can’t really see why he would want to sign for us in Jan, he can wait until the summer and see what division we are in and what options he has.

Yeah, I suppose he can. If we are keen to keep him though we could offer him a contract and see what he says. But I know what you mean; why would he commit to an uncertainly when he can wait and get certainty with little or no downside. Good point.

3 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Yeah, I suppose he can. If we are keen to keep him though we could offer him a contract and see what he says. But I know what you mean; why would he commit to an uncertainly when he can wait and get certainty with little or no downside. Good point.

Guess it depends on how much of a payrise he is offered.  

On 9/27/2017 at 12:39, striker said:

Didn't think there was a keeper there at all but he has been quality so far this season.

Same view.

It's crazy how comfortable I am with him back there in goal now though.

Haven't known that feeling for a while.

We've been tortured with keepers the last few seasons. lol

Remember when we signed him on loan in Jan  I said he was a good keeper on here and had excelled at Walsall and Preston amongst others on loan and could go on to play for England  and got some abuse saying he won't hack it here and Golini was much better :)

Nice to see lots of people on here have now changed their minds. Shows never judge a player before they have kicked a ball for us.

Edited by Villan4Life

On 01/10/2017 at 15:36, TrentVilla said:

That's the beauty though in cultivating a winning and harmonious environment, it makes people do strange things like sign permanently! :)

34 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Remember when we signed him on loan in Jan  I said he was a good keeper on here and had excelled at Walsall and Preston amongst others on loan and could go on to play for England  and got some abuse saying he won't hack it here and Golini was much better :)

Nice to see lots of people on here have now changed their minds. Shows never judge a player before they have kicked a ball for us.

How does it show that? were you wrong or something? ;)

Â