Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

Solid again today, it's good to see how he's progressed since first joining. 

He still seems to me to randomly be very very close to handling the ball outside the area when he's running to throw it out...luckily refs aren't noticing for now!

Great game on Saturday.

Can't fault him this season. 

Everything has improved. His shot stopping has improved, his distribution has improved, he seems to catch everything now whereas last season he punched everything.

I'm impressed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

Seems to be improving with every game, which is what you want in a young player I guess. Certainly a step-up from that flappy clown Gollini.

They both started shite to be fair.

A big difference may be the fact that Johnstone has gotten consistent game time.

Very pleased with him right now though.

On 17/07/2017 at 07:58, hippo said:

I cannot overstate my level of disapproval at his re-signing strongly enough. A truly baffling decision that seems destined to undermine our whole promotion push - and will probably be a key factor in Bruce failing at villa.

We have to play we so many defenders to cover his ass - that leaves us short going forward.

This decision is on a par with MON signing Heskey because we are short of goals - and Lerner looking for stability with Mcleish.

Wrote off the season when his signing was conformed.

I love going back through old posts in some threads and looking at the extreme views which are the complete opposite to what actually happens. I'm guilty of being wrong as much as the next person but it's the extreme nature of views like this that make it so laughable.

And the bit in bold, this is literally the opposite of what has happened because without SJ, some of those draws would be defeats and almost certainly see Bruce out his job.

I think he's been excellent this season, he's progressing nicely and could be our number 1 for many years to come if we get him permanently! 

3 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I love going back through old posts in some threads and looking at the extreme views which are the complete opposite to what actually happens. I'm guilty of being wrong as much as the next person but it's the extreme nature of views like this that make it so laughable.

And the bit in bold, this is literally the opposite of what has happened because without SJ, some of those draws would be defeats and almost certainly see Bruce out his job.

I think he's been excellent this season, he's progressing nicely and could be our number 1 for many years to come if we get him permanently! 

So Johnstone is keeping Bruce in his job???

Johnstone out!!!

• Haha 2

I am actually shocked at how much he has improved. He looks a different keeper to the one last season! Better shot stopping, commanding his box more better at dealing with crosses and his distribution has been excellent.

Keep it up sam :thumb:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I am actually shocked at how much he has improved. He looks a different keeper to the one last season! Better shot stopping, commanding his box more better at dealing with crosses and his distribution has been excellent.

Keep it up sam :thumb:

Yes, it is like watching a different keeper. 

There are things all over the pitch which worry me but the keeper is not one of them.

Been a while since I have not been concerned about our keeper. 

• Like 2

I was not a fan of his last season, and was sceptical about re-signing him this season. I am glad to hear he has improved this season. I saw him first hand put in a great performance against Brentford, making some crucial and great saves. He has proven me wrong, which I am very happy about. Well done Sam, keep it up.

He has improved greatly this season, but i would like him to command his box a little more.  A few times yesterday crosses and corners came in within 4/5 yards of him and he stayed on his line.  Perhaps it's deliberate?  Perhaps he's being coached to trust Chester and Terry, but someone like Peter Schmeichel was a bully in the box and I like that in a keeper.  However, he's doing well so far.  

Edited by ferguson1

Looks like a different player to last season where he appeared to lack confidence and was reluctant to come out and command his area.  Now he is the opposite and looks really commanding and assured.  Comfortably our most consistent performer so this season

• Like 1

Â