Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 02:14, alreadyexists said:

Yeah, I suppose he can. If we are keen to keep him though we could offer him a contract and see what he says. But I know what you mean; why would he commit to an uncertainly when he can wait and get certainty with little or no downside. Good point.

I think the reverse of this... it actually gives him some certainty for once in his career after being sent out on loan 10 times (or whatever the number is) regardless of which division we'll be in next year

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Remember when we signed him on loan in Jan  I said he was a good keeper on here and had excelled at Walsall and Preston amongst others on loan and could go on to play for England  and got some abuse saying he won't hack it here and Golini was much better :)

Nice to see lots of people on here have now changed their minds. Shows never judge a player before they have kicked a ball for us.

I think most people reserved their judgement until he'd kicked many balls for us. Usually into the stands or to the opposition.

As good as he has been this season, and he has been very good, it doesn't change the fact that for most of his loan spell here he ranged from average to really shit. I@m as glad as anyone that he's turned it around and looks like a shrewd signing now, but it was logical to have reservations after last season.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Remember when we signed him on loan in Jan  I said he was a good keeper on here and had excelled at Walsall and Preston amongst others on loan and could go on to play for England  and got some abuse saying he won't hack it here and Golini was much better :)

Nice to see lots of people on here have now changed their minds. Shows never judge a player before they have kicked a ball for us.

First of all, you didn’t get abuse people may have disagreed with you but not abuse.

Secondly, there is a bit of a contradiction between saying you said he was a good keeper based on his loans at Walsall and Preston and then saying you should never judge a player before they have kicked a ball for us.

In any case, if I recall correctly the criticism of him came exactly after he started kicking a ball for us not before.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

In any case, if I recall correctly the deserved criticism of him came exactly after he started kicking a ball for us not before.

FYP. He was terrible when he came first but it's nice to see that he's playing well this season. Fair play to the lad.

Isn't he out of contract at the end of the season? Could we not just get him to sign a pre contract agreement in Jan?

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

We'd still have to pay something though wouldn't we? 

I don't think so as he is 24, I am pretty sure he can talk to other clubs in Jan but I could be wrong. 

1 hour ago, jim said:

I don't think so as he is 24, I am pretty sure he can talk to other clubs in Jan but I could be wrong. 

Only foreign clubs I think, for English clubs he would have to wait until his contract expires. His agent of course can speak to anyone he likes at anytime. 

Yep, its only foreign clubs that can sign pre contracts then;  However the point remains that he does only have 6 months left, and this should reflect in his value.

Couple of million now or feck all in the summer. 

Not sure if hes still classed as youth which would make it a tribunal set fee, but i doubt it would be much more that this anyway.

2 hours ago, jim said:

Isn't he out of contract at the end of the season? Could we not just get him to sign a pre contract agreement in Jan?

His contract runs until June 18 But United have the option of an additional 12 months, I fully expect them to excerise that unless a substantial offer is forthcoming from us. They aren’t about to sell him on the cheap in Jan.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

His contract runs until June 18 But United have the option of an additional 12 months, I fully expect them to excerise that unless a substantial offer is forthcoming from us. They aren’t about to sell him on the cheap in Jan.

Didnt realise they had an option.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Peter Baileys foto.

Very nice stats for him.

Very worrying for our defense and overall performance that our keeper been forced to make the most saves of all keepers in the league.

not really, 'save' is quite a vague term, we've conceded less than the other teams on that list. The 19 goals forest have let in are potential 'saves' not made for instance. Also we should be pleased if we are restricting teams to long shots from outside the box. If we were top of any table for chances against us in the box I'd be concerned. There's not necessarily any 'forcing', you know?

Best thing is we're not making it up, he IS much improved this year so far and well done to him for that. Keep it up SJ.

Â