Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

If we go up this season, it could well be down to him. Difference between winning and losing or at best drawing yesterday. Two absolute top drawer saves, for nailed on goals. Whatever he costs, he is worth it, I hope DeGea stays at Man Utd, coz he could well fill his boots if he goes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Faultless yesterday.

Have to admit I’ve been impressed this season.

TBH, after a dire January for all, he has been pretty good ever since, but impotantly, getting better.at this rate MU won’t sell.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

If we go up this season, it could well be down to him. Difference between winning and losing or at best drawing yesterday. Two absolute top drawer saves, for nailed on goals. Whatever he costs, he is worth it, I hope DeGea stays at Man Utd, coz he could well fill his boots if he goes.

You've got to wonder how we would have fared with a keeper in this form, under RDM.

Not a dig at anybody, just thinking we were very attacking and capable of scoring goals.

Keeper clangers and defense being nervous of them played a huge part in our undoing last season.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You've got to wonder how we would have feared with a keeper in this form, under RDM.

Not a dig at anybody, just thinking we were very attacking and capable of scoring goals.

Keeper clangers and defense being nervous of them played a huge part in our undoing last season.

Very valid point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You've got to wonder how we would have fared with a keeper in this form, under RDM.

Actually, I'd prefer never having to think about RDM again, but...

There are so many hypotheticals here:

1. That RDM would have had the knowledge, nous and persuasive powers to get Johnstone in, given that his first choice was Gollini

2. That RDM, even if he did get Johnstone, would have had the coaching set up able to improve the player as has happened under Steve Bruce

3. That RDM would have ben able to create the solidity in defence to support Johnstone. Just reminded myself of the defence in RDM's final game: Hutton, Elphick, Chester, Cissokho. Not sure how well even Johnstone would have done with that horror show in front of him

If under RDM "were very attacking and capable of scoring goals" how do you explain the fact that we only managed 10 goals in his 11 league games with us?

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 3

You have also got to wonder, if some of the fans had their way.....he wouldn't be with us.

funny ole game football.

• Like 2

When you look at Pickford going for a reported £30m to Everton then we have done well to get Johnstone on loan again - would have been better still had we an agreement to buy but united have a 12 month option on him next summer so wouldn’t be a huge fee involved if we do go up . 

This lad will only get better .

Unsure on his positioning for their goal, but brilliant save in the second half.

When you're in the sort of form he is in you can forgive the odd small error.

Really pleased with him this season.

13 hours ago, thunderball said:

at this rate MU won’t sell.

isn't he out of contract at the end of the season  ? I guess Man U would get a fee under a tribunal type thing but I can't see it being £30m

Our best bet is to try and sign him in Jan assuming we can convince him

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

isn't he out of contract at the end of the season  ? I guess Man U would get a fee under a tribunal type thing but I can't see it being £30m

Our best bet is to try and sign him in Jan assuming we can convince him

They have the option for another year I believe.

Â