Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

On 15/07/2017 at 07:54, TrentVilla said:

Just listened to his interview, doesn't sound the brightest does he.

Agreed but he is being employed at our club as a keeper rather than as an eloquent public speaker. ;) He sounds happy enough to join us and if he also shows the ability to keep the ball out of our net this season more often than not then I think we will be satisfied with this deal come the end of the season.   

He's crap. But now that he's here I'll back him.

Needs to improve from last season to be the standard we need though. He fell short when tested last season on most occasions.

I cannot overstate my level of disapproval at his re-signing strongly enough. A truly baffling decision that seems destined to undermine our whole promotion push - and will probably be a key factor in Bruce failing at villa.

We have to play we so many defenders to cover his ass - that leaves us short going forward.

This decision is on a par with MON signing Heskey because we are short of goals - and Lerner looking for stability with Mcleish.

Wrote off the season when his signing was conformed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

With it being a loan I can't help but think FFP was a factor in this. 

But why not Ruddy or Mcgregor.

I think its more lack of funds and Dr Tony's lack of financial clout that he is prepared to pump in

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

He can't pump funds in due to FFP.

Sure.....Well actually he could take the hit of a fine. Having SJ in goal is effectively a points deduction IMO.  - The threat of not allowing a team breaching FFP to be promoted is still very much theory.

Overall though - Much fun and well intentioned as Dr Tony is. I don't think he has the financial clout to do half what he said he wants to do. Should we get promoted establishing ourselves in the PL would be an almighty challenge with serious amounts of cash - and I am really not convinced Dr T has that. 

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

Sure.....Well actually he could take the hit of a fine. Having SJ in goal is effectively a points deduction IMO.  - The threat of not allowing a team breaching FFP to be promoted is still very much theory.

Overall though - Much fun and well intentioned as Dr Tony is. I don't think he has the financial clout to do half what he said he wants to do. Should we get promoted establishing ourselves in the PL would be an almighty challenge with serious amounts of cash - and I am really not convinced Dr T has that. 

Well that is another thread...

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Sure.....Well actually he could take the hit of a fine.

Dr Tony goes and flouts FFP by signing a different keeper for £20 mill - I reckon you might brand him reckless. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Dr Tony goes and flouts FFP by signing a different keeper for £20 mill - I reckon you might brand him reckless. 

Ruddy , Mcgregor , or pretty much any championship keeper wouldn't cost anywhere near £20m.

Basically we have keeper who doesn't stop anything unless its straight at him

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Wow, some of you really don't rate him eh?

I thought he improved A LOT last season after the naff start. I'm pleased to have him back, he has genuine ability. 

I don't rate him, and I'm far form pleased to have him back.

But some of the posts in here are ridiculously exaggerated. Suggesting we have to play extra defenders to cover for him :crylaugh: 

Â