Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

Gotta hold my hands up. I was completely wrong about him. Just goes to show you can reap benefits from giving players 6-12 months to settle, especially younger ones.

Would be very happy if we managed to add him permanently.

• 3 weeks later...

We will be swapping divisions with Tesco Bags at the end of the season :)

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4947505/west-brom-sam-johnstone-ben-foster-manchester-united-aston-villa/

SAM JOHNSTONE is being eyed by West Brom – and could end his Aston Villa loan early.

The Manchester United keeper has a recall option in January and is set for a Premier League offer.

Tony Pulis is interested in the 24-year-old giving serious competition to first-choice Ben Foster.

And the Baggies boss is poised to lodge a £5million bid when the transfer window opens in January.

Johnstone has impressed during his two spells at Villa Park and Steve Bruce has spoken about making the move permanent.

But his form has attracted top-flight interest in a player who has had seven different loan clubs during his United career.

That would leave Bruce with a massive gap to fill for the second half of the season but he is monitoring Karl Darlow at Newcastle.

Darlow, 27, is behind Rob Elliot in the pecking order at St James’ Park and could be allowed to leave for the right price.

Johnstone joined Villa in January after struggling for first-team chances at Old Trafford.

And boss Steve Bruce is keen to agree terms with United for Johnstone, 24.

He said: “It would be great to keep him here for the next few years as Villa’s No1.

“I will need to ask the question. The ideal move for us would be to buy him in January.

"You’ve seen it, a young goalkeeper coming in and getting better with every game he plays.

“The difference in him since he’s started in January to now is light years. He’s confident, playing every week and he’s playing real football.”

1 hour ago, Villan4Life said:

We will be swapping divisions with Tesco Bags at the end of the season :)

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4947505/west-brom-sam-johnstone-ben-foster-manchester-united-aston-villa/

Considering the press have been speculating that pulis has been facing the sack (something that could really happen tomorrow) they can't help but contradict themselves with crap like this.

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Considering the press have been speculating that pulis has been facing the sack (something that could really happen tomorrow) they can't help but contradict themselves with crap like this.

would be a classic move by Pulis, struggling to score goals so brings in an expensive back-up goalkeeper :lol:

• Haha 1

He really has improved in leaps and bounds, and I would be absolutely happy if he stayed. However, if he does go, I am feeling confident that Steer can do the job for us. He looked good during the pre season.

• Like 1

Johnstone sounds like a complicated transfer tbf - they'd have to get us to agree to cancel the loan move, which would surely require some compensation from Man U, which they'd also have to cough up for, as well as the fee for signing the player. Sounds like a bit of a non-starter to me. 

I really like the guy and he's come on leaps and bounds this season, but thought he was really poor for their goal tonight.

In a game where Sunderland never even looked close to threatening our goal, he managed to make it nervy.

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I really like the guy and he's come on leaps and bounds this season, but thought he was really poor for their goal tonight.

In a game where Sunderland never even looked close to threatening our goal, he managed to make it nervy.

I think it was poor concentration personally.

He wasn't alert enough to the first effort and then compounded his error chasing around his 6 yard box rather than getting back in position.

It was very very similar to a goal I went mad about Guzan letting in during his final season, damned if I can recall which one though there was so many.

• Like 1

Couple of errors last 2 games that have lead to goals. To be fair to him he is not having much to do so needs to keep his concentration levels high. 

Luckily it hasn't cost us points and he has generally been solid. 

Edit: As the team improves and become more solid he will be called upon less in games and when he does he needs to be reliable. This is what a makes a top keeper. He has been up to it this season. 

Too many keepers at poor teams become overrated because of the sheer amount of saves they have to make in games! 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Â