Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

34 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

People have strange memories.

He has a terrible start, then showed he was a great shot-stopper.

Just needs to work on his kicking.

I'm not being funny, but when did he save all these great shots?

His best shot stopping display was in his debut. Since then he's done nothing of note whatsoever imo.

yes he improved as the season went on, but he was still well short of what we should have been looking for.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, eholm said:

When did he demonstrate this 'shot-stopping' ability you speak of? IMO I've rarely seen a keeper beaten so easily by almost every shot on target he has faced. For me, this is my biggest concern with SJ - he's just not that good at saving shots!!

So you think he's otherwise ok?

• Like 1

A few pages back someone posted a youtube clip of his "best bits" and there's not a single diving save in it, at all. Everything he saved was straight at him. Yes it shows his positioning may be good, but it mainly shows if you shoot away from him by half a yard either side then its a goal. 

46 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

So you think he's otherwise ok?

Not convinced all round tbh mate. The shot-stopping weakness is clearly his biggest one IMO and for a keeper its pretty fundamental. Don't get me wrong, not primarily looking for 'worldy' saves..... would be very happy with Friedel-esque goalkeeping; very consistent, steady and worth +10 points per season.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not being funny, but when did he save all these great shots?

His best shot stopping display was in his debut. Since then he's done nothing of note whatsoever imo.

yes he improved as the season went on, but he was still well short of what we should have been looking for.

I went to the Brighton game and he saved a fair few, was unlucky to be beaten by Glen Murray from distance.

Of course that is only one example, but I just feel the kid is getting a bashing from his early form.

Edited by carewjust4u

1 minute ago, carewjust4u said:

I went to the Brighton game and he saved a fair few, was unlucky to be beaten by Glen Murray from distance.

Eh?

The game Murray scored from distance was in November, Johnstone hadn't signed by then. 

The return fixture their goal was a penalty, and they only had two other shots on target. Neither of which required a particularly good save from memory.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Eh?

The game Murray scored from distance was in November, Johnstone hadn't signed by then. 

The return fixture their goal was a penalty, and they only had two other shots on target. Neither of which required a particularly good save from memory.

Hes probably getting confused with Gollini who was a far better shot stopper.

Because Bruce didnt sign Gollini he didnt get the "young and learning" excuse that Johnstone was allowed for his mistakes.

Still waiting for Johnstone to make any save worthy of mentioning. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

Of course that is only one example, but I just feel the kid is getting a bashing from his early form.

Must have been a good pre match tot ;)

Edited by Mammoth10

2 hours ago, eholm said:

Not convinced all round tbh mate. The shot-stopping weakness is clearly his biggest one IMO and for a keeper its pretty fundamental. Don't get me wrong, not primarily looking for 'worldy' saves..... would be very happy with Friedel-esque goalkeeping; very consistent, steady and worth +10 points per season.

Yes, I agree largely. I was just trying to make a point that shot-stopping is quite important :). Typically for me I failed, but I go again!

4 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Yes, I agree largely. I was just trying to make a point that shot-stopping is quite important :). Typically for me I failed, but I go again!

No mate, I failed to spot the obvious irony......it's been a long day!!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Sam "well that was saveable" Johnstone.

Seriously? I was at the game so have only seen the goal live but didn't look like a mistake at all to me.

Thought he had a good game. Looked great coming off his line and his kicking was good particularly out to elmohamady on the right wing. Decent double save at the end off the first half too.

Looks like he could have a decent future to me and carried on with his decent form from the end of last season.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Sam "well that was saveable" Johnstone.

Didn't look like a save you'd expect most keepers to save imo. Just a cheap attempt to get on his case. 

• Like 1

Didn't see anything to blame him for on the goal (although only seen it live too). I thought he was really assertive today, looked well in command and took a couple of difficult crosses very well. 

A couple of times he did seem very close to handling it outside the area, hopefully just a couple of random incidents today. Good start to the season for me 

• Like 1

It's VillaTalk. You have to realise that once a keeper falls out of favour, every goal is his fault. There won't be a goal let in this season that someone doesn't blame Johnstone for.

I don't particularly rate the guy, but he was fine yesterday. In fact I'd say he was good. He made a couple of smart saves first half, and he was more dominant in the air than I've ever seen him. He caught everything too, which hopefully means he's been working on that as he used to just punch everything.

• Like 1

I think he's an awful goalkeeper, but didn't really put a foot wrong on Saturday. I was very pleased with his distribution too, he tried to play it out much quicker and get us on the front foot. I'd much rather he try and throw it out to someone to start a counter, and it go out for a throw, rather than a mindless boot up field.

Â