Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

14 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You've got to wonder how we would have fared with a keeper in this form, under RDM.

Not a dig at anybody, just thinking we were very attacking and capable of scoring goals.

Keeper clangers and defense being nervous of them played a huge part in our undoing last season.

Yeah, a good shout.

I just had a look at his career stats, and in terms of senior appearances he’s played more times for us (33 times) than any other team.

I know he’s only 24 but that’s startlingly little football to have actually played and shows how there really is ‘something wrong’ with the way big/rich clubs sign up youngsters. He’s doing well here anyway, and I’m glad he’s here for us and for him, hopefully he feels like it’s a place to hang his hat after all these years being loaned out.

• Like 1

On 29/10/2017 at 00:49, alreadyexists said:

I just had a look at his career stats, and in terms of senior appearances he’s played more times for us (33 times) than any other team.

I know he’s only 24 but that’s startlingly little football to have actually played and shows how there really is ‘something wrong’ with the way big/rich clubs sign up youngsters. He’s doing well here anyway, and I’m glad he’s here for us and for him, hopefully he feels like it’s a place to hang his hat after all these years being loaned out.

116 appearances, not that low for a goalkeeper of his age. You don't get too many players like Donnarumma or Casillas coming round that often, goalies are usually older. 

19 minutes ago, lexicon said:

116 appearances, not that low for a goalkeeper of his age. You don't get too many players like Donnarumma or Casillas coming round that often, goalies are usually older. 

True... I suppose it just seems strange that’s been here for a matter of months and yet he’s played for us more than any other team. You’re right though, young keepers with hundreds of appearances are a rare breed. I think the consistency and stability is something that could help him if he stays here though.

26 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

True... I suppose it just seems strange that’s been here for a matter of months and yet he’s played for us more than any other team. You’re right though, young keepers with hundreds of appearances are a rare breed. I think the consistency and stability is something that could help him if he stays here though.

He'll get that too - it'd be great to sign him permanently. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Thats what, 7 clean sheets in 10? Impressive.

That's what playing behind that central defensive pairing can do. If Terry, Chester, or both, are out we might see Johnstone be a whole lot busier. But, in far more confident about him now than I was last season.

For the first time in years I genuinely feel relaxed and confident when the ball comes into our box that we'll deal with it. Playing with a partnership like Terry and Chester in front of him is helping him develop nicely and I'm glad I was totally wrong about re-signing him.

Edit: re-signing not resigning. Big difference. 

Edited by Phumfeinz

Â