Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Sack him and get Allardyce while he's available. He's worked with Bolasie before and showed at Sunderland he can get the best out of some pretty ordinary players too, which will certainly come in handy when he's figuring out what to do with the majority of Bruce's signings.

Edited by Michael118
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Farlz said:

Never your fault Steve 

Hang on now. Has anyone actually read what bruce said??

He said i have to take responsibility for choosing the team and take the flack. But also said they were basically rubbish which they were.

I blame bruce but how can people let the players escape from punishment?? They were pathetic and I have no problem with bruce speaking the truth here. They were absolutely pathetic and didn't care in the slightest about yesterday's game

• Like 1

Bruce used that match to test out a number of defensive players in new positions to see if any would magically adapt in 90 minutes. I remember there was also some warning pre match that changes would be made. We did not want to win the game, winning was not the priority. I can’t treat the game like a league game, however it’s dismal stuff, indicative of a squad who do not have a collective way of playing, and once again reaffirms what Bruce is all about. It does not measure up to what the owners expectations must be either. So whatever plans they have for a new man am sure are being accelerated right now. 

A manager's job (in any field, not just football) is to get their team functioning at a level where they are greater than the sum of their parts (or at the very least, equalling the sum of their parts). Unfortunately, it seems to be the reverse with us. Barring small spells in certain matches, we have no consistent discernible style or pattern of play. Our players look like strangers on the pitch and any "tactics" that can be deduced, don't seem to take advantage our players strengths. It's all a bit of a shambles.

Quite simply, Bruce isn't having the effect on the team a manager should.

We have to hope that the owners have been watching carefully, and have a plan of how they want to move forward, should they get rid of Bruce. Not being "football people" themselves, we have to hope that they have been taking advice from those that are, and have someone lined up who can come in, quickly grasp the situation here and the understand how best to utilise the players at their disposal. Still not having a CEO doesn't help matters though.

43 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hang on now. Has anyone actually read what bruce said??

He said i have to take responsibility for choosing the team and take the flack. But also said they were basically rubbish which they were.

I blame bruce but how can people let the players escape from punishment?? They were pathetic and I have no problem with bruce speaking the truth here. They were absolutely pathetic and didn't care in the slightest about yesterday's game

Maybe he's lost the dressing room. They don't give a shite. Not right but it happens with someone as inept as him in charge.

6 hours ago, thunderball said:

This is it isn’t it? It’s early enough to replace him and still have a stab at it? The claim for “best man for the job” is surely hollow now,

F*ck me.. I thought you where about to say Ian Holloway!      :o

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

But, we all know what happens next...

Just as a consensus starts to form and the executioner starts to raise his axe(l), Bruce conjures a run of wins and it's the consensus that dies, not Steve Bruce.

We all breathe a sigh of relief because at the end of the day we just want Villa to win, but the cost of that relief is more of this unending, bird brained, no plan football.

Watch him survive, it's his modus operandi, never better than when his job is on the line. It ain't over til the fat Geordie sings...

But this little trick of 'doing just enough' to keep the vultures at bay is not washing with us anymore after trying the same shit 3 seasons down the line, I remember Lambert trying similar.

**** off Bruce!!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

the winning team made 100k from the tournament last season

That sounds a ridiculously low sum for the winners - not that I am questioning  this.

do you not feel however winning breeds a winning mentality ? So we are now without a win in 3 games - can you see how easy this can become negative 

• Like 1

Just sick of this now.  First team or second team, players just going through the motions with no plan, urgency or desire.  How can you churn out a team of second string players who should be looking to impress and make a point and have such little reaction from them? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

It's rumoured he does barely any coaching at all leaves that to others

It sounds like we could slot Dean Smith in nicely then, as all he does is chose the cafeteria’s teabag brand apparently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Maybe he's lost the dressing room. They don't give a shite. Not right but it happens with someone as inept as him in charge.

Well this Represents a sea change if so - The Bruce advocates are never slow to state what an excellent man manager he is.

but as I have said before - I've never heard a player who is picked regularly say anything to the contrary 

13 minutes ago, Dave J said:

That sounds a ridiculously low sum for the winners - not that I am questioning  this.

do you not feel however winning breeds a winning mentality ? So we are now without a win in 3 games - can you see how easy this can become negative 

No win in 4, and when you consider the opposition it becomes worrying; Brentford, Ipswich, Reading and Burton. Whats more, I think we have a couple of difficult games coming up. 

Supported Bruce up until this point, but I'm out. There is no way those players should have lost to Burton and there is no way our squad should dominate games and not win. I understand that a change of manager is a risk, but we're not getting out of this league with Bruce. 

• Like 3

The interview transcript reads very strangely indeed: 

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/i-take-full-responsibility-every-15084017

It has given me food for thought of the people, as I say, who keep knocking on my door, insisting they should be in the team.

“Obviously I am right that they shouldn’t be. They've let me down and themselves and the supporters."

He mentions multiple times that he was giving these players ‘who knock down his door’ a chance. And then he says they’re not good enough. He assumed they’d bottle it.

We’re seeing his relationship with Elphick writ large with the entire squad here. Despite claims to the contrary, he is deflecting  criticism of his tactics and man management by blaming the players. Is it more likely that 11 players are at fault or one manager who is meant to instruct those players? 

What he’s saying is: ‘Kodj, Jack and my favourites have saved you lot in the past. Lansbury, Elphick, Adomah, RDL: you’re not good enough. Not only has he lost them, it will create a toxic resentment against those who are his favoured few. 

Last season son he hid behind the motivating abilities of Snodders and JT. With them around, he probably could just say ‘go play’ and those two would gee up their team mates. It’s the classic 90s player approach - the ‘senior pros’ getting ‘stuck in’ at half time. Steve now looks increasingly isolated and ineffectual. 

He gets a game or three more and then goes. 

• Like 3

Â