Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

What's he going to say when we lose against Sheffield Utd with his preferred team?

He's running out of excuses, only thing is we need a replacement who can produce and there far and few between .

4 minutes ago, tinker said:

What's he going to say when we lose against Sheffield Utd with his preferred team?

He's running out of excuses, only thing is we need a replacement who can produce and there far and few between .

We wont lose to Sheffield United.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Didn't he just ?

I’ve just read the full transcript and I don’t think he did say that Sheepy. He came out with the usual guff all managers do, it’s my team, I’ve got broad shoulders, my job to take the flack etc etc. But he didn’t identify the reasons why, he said the players that keep hammering on his door were rubbish. He doesn’t understand why they were rubbish and essentially says he was just giving them a chance in a nothing game and then blames them for treating it like a nothing game!

As for trying Tuanzebe at central midfield, why??? He’s now tried him in midfield and at right back, two positions where we have plenty of players, but ignored the fact that we are desperately short at centre half and missed the chance to give him game time in that position. You couldn’t make it up!

• Like 4

The problem here is Teflons media darling status, it means bullshit rumours won't be started (see Mourinho) and thus the owners won't really get a guage of our ire, unless they happen to be into the ramblings of some nerds, sitting in their pants, covered in wotsit dust on a Villa message board. 

Bruce isn't going anywhere until they see the banners at VP and he fully loses the away boys and girls. He'll continue to blag his way through and his media friends will continue to print it.

8 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

The problem here is Teflons media darling status, it means bullshit rumours won't be started (see Mourinho) and thus the owners won't really get a guage of our ire, unless they happen to be into the ramblings of some nerds, sitting in their pants, covered in wotsit dust on a Villa message board. 

Bruce isn't going anywhere until they see the banners at VP and he fully loses the away boys and girls. He'll continue to blag his way through and his media friends will continue to print it.

I would disagree, he was getting right panning by the commentators on WM. 

I can't remember the press openly 'going for' a villa manager perhaps DOL and Joe Venglos .

I know the results aren't good enough - but just looking at the results they aren't actually that bad either - we are not getting walloped 4 or 5 every week - thats not to defend Bruce - just as to why the press haven't got on his back. I don't think they will either, this is the championship - national media don't really care.

I've never been a huge fan, at times he convinced me that sticking with him was the right thing. So I'm pretty much a bandwagon jumper, or whatever you want to call it but.....

Now is the time, he can take us no further and I want him gone, while I can respect him for the good work he has done, if he stays he is going to ruin our season.

If he stays we are doomed to bring in the championship next year with no parachute payments and even our wealthy owners won't be allowed to do anything to save us.

It's all-in or fold time.

To fold is to resign with a season of Bruce

All-in is to risk it for the biscuit....

I say we push all-in.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, eholm said:

“Obviously I am right that they shouldn’t be. They've let me down and themselves and the supporters."

....and all of this coupled with the above arrogance and failure to accept or be accountable for the fact that he signed these fcuking players. Unbelievable. 

You dont just throw all the fringe players into the one team and expect them to be able to play good football.  You give them a chance with a steady first team playing week in week out.  Also not to mention playing half the fringe team out of position.

I dont blame the players one bit last night.

• Like 3

I've tried to stay positive with Bruce over the last two seasons, despite all the calls for his head on VT.

Over the last 3-4 games he's now lost me completely. I want him out and I've grown sick of his turgid football and ridiculous team selections.

Last night was a game where he could have gotten away with a loss with the fans still onside. If you aren't going to play a full strength team in a cup game that you aren't really bothered about you play some youth players, blood them into the squad. Granted the U23's had a game on Monday night but the first team should always be a football clubs priority. Blood in Doyle Hayes, Lyden, Bedeau, O'Hare, Knibbs, Mooney and then pack out the rest of the side with the fringe players, bench the remaining first team players. You lose a game with a side like that and you can take a few positives of the youth having a chance at first team football.

Playing players in the correct positions... surely this is basic knowledge as a football manager. Even kids playing FIFA and Football Manager know that you can't stick a team out with 3-4 players playing in the wrong position. It's crazy! We have 4 recognised right backs at the club and in 4/5 games in the league we haven't played a right back at right back. We have 3 centre backs and have played a midfielder at centre back for 4/5 league games.

Substitions.... standing in the Holte End it's glaringly obvious each game which players are underperforming and which players have tired. Bruce doesn't see this and makes the wrong changes at the wrong times. He makes changes with 5 minutes to go instead of 20 minutes to go where they can make an impact on the game. Saturday being a prime example, Elmohamady tired around the 65 minute mark, El Ghazi had started influencing the game on the left. El Ghazi was taken off for Adomah. 10 minutes later Kodjia had started walking, he wasn't chasing the ball down and it was stopping us stretching Reading meaning they were taking the game to us. A change there bringing Hepburn-Murphy in would have meant we had a runner for our balls forward, Reading would have been kept on their toes at the back. Bruce waited and waited, Kodjia became less and less effective. 91 minutes and Taylor (a left back) comes on for Kodjia and Adomah is moved out of position up front. Reading score a winner after putting relentless pressure on us for 7-8 minutes.

I like Bruce, and he has done wonders turning our club around off the field and on it compared to the dross we were being served up in the Premiership and under RDM. But it's now time to change the formula and get a manager with a style of play to influence us long term, to get the best out of our fairly young squad. A lot of managers will jump at the chance of taking over a strong squad like we have in the Championship.

Sawiris/Edens... over to you

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, imavillan said:

This is a good post and does not smack of good management. I don't think he has helped himself here

Players are not stupid and will be talking to one another behind the scenes. What happens now to any of these who end up on the bench and have to come on?

In any form of management in any industry if your manager gives you a public bollocking you go into a shell. The relationship falls down, you only do the bare minimum and you dont go the extra mile. Thats basic man management.

He could be applauded for being so frank and open....on the other hand it could back fire on him big time. Time will tell !!!

either, "I'm going to prove the manager was wrong", "I cant stand this guy and need to put in a performance so someone buys me", or "He was right, i was crap, i better pull my socks off and earn my money" - either way, they need to give 100%

In terms of your point about going into your shell, i do agree...however, it is down to the individual. when i've let myself down at work i have been in a strop for a few days but then dust myself down and try and prove myself...but not everyone is like that. i've had managers that would actually shout at people in the open office floor and managers that do everything in meeting rooms. there are pros and cons to both methods. i know folks on the recieving end of a public bollocking from the former say that he was the best manager they ever worked for and others couldn't stand the bloke. everyone is different and football players are no exception

the caveat between say an office and football players is that not playing hurts them financially (playing bonus') not to mention that if they want to leave, they need someone to actually buy them, whereas we can just go for interviews and get another job if the relationship has fallen down that badly...they're not likely to attract much interest putting in sub par performances in vs burton and rotting on the bench/stands for the rest of the season

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

either, "I'm going to prove the manager was wrong", "I cant stand this guy and need to put in a performance so someone buys me", or "He was right, i was crap, i better pull my socks off and earn my money" - either way, they need to give 100%

They wont have the opportunity to put in a performance now, window will be shut.  So basically we will be stuck with a load of players who are unhappy and stirring it around the training ground.  This will happen as it does in any working environment.

I've always been in the Bruce IN camp but my patience is starting to wear extremely thin. Firstly with the whole argument of 'It's only a cup game' , there are some fans who still want to see us have a decent cup run, myself included and i think this excuse is used to excuse that crap we had to watch again last night , our squad is big enough to be able to compete in the second round of the league cup. Also this argument of being 4th so we can't complain etc, we are actually only 3 points better off than this point last season and last season was seen as a poor start and are also only 3 points off 15th , so in a months time if we continue to drop points things could look very different and the frustrating thing is we should arguably be top after the run we've had, I can't see us going up under Bruce.

For what feels like the hundreth time during his tenure, I’m wavering again and am tempted to say a change might be needed which normally means we‘re about to go on a 4-6 game winning streak to make me look like a complete clearing in the woods.

So as we need to get motoring again....I think Bruce has taken us as far as he can.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

the caveat between say an office and football players is that not playing hurts them financially (playing bonus') not to mention that if they want to leave, they need someone to actually buy them, whereas we can just go for interviews and get another job if the relationship has fallen down that badly...they're not likely to attract much interest putting in sub par performances in vs burton and rotting on the bench/stands for the rest of the season

13 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

They wont have the opportunity to put in a performance now, window will be shut.  So basically we will be stuck with a load of players who are unhappy and stirring it around the training ground.  This will happen as it does in any working environment.

Yes its down to the individual on how he reacts but theres a big difference to football and the real world of industry. Football does not live in the real world. You dont perform in the real world you get the sack. Football just see your contract out taking the cash.

Footballers are very very well paid, even the average ones. They can afford to stick two fingers up and hang around until the next window. There are loads of other teams/managers wiling to take chances. There are also loads of players willing to hang around and take the money for basically just training.

We have had plenty over the years and still have them !!!!

He doesn't need to come out and say that he was right though. I couldn't give a shit that he predicted that the players would be crap, he still picked them.

I think I'd struggle to go to my boss and say "I knew that this process would fail, but I did it anyway because I wanted to show you that it would fail".

Poor workman blames his tools and all that.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

You dont just throw all the fringe players into the one team and expect them to be able to play good football.  You give them a chance with a steady first team playing week in week out.  Also not to mention playing half the fringe team out of position.

I dont blame the players one bit last night.

You don't blame the players one bit? 

Do me a favour they are professional footballers and couldn't even pick out a simple pass. The players were God awful. They might be fringe players but they play and train with each other every day so to play like a poor pub team is an embarrassment to every one of them that started.

Agree that the manager needs to take responsibility but to give the players a free pass for one of the worst performances I've seen after watching the Villa for 40 years is utter nonsense.

32 minutes ago, London Villa said:

You don't blame the players one bit? 

Do me a favour they are professional footballers and couldn't even pick out a simple pass. The players were God awful. They might be fringe players but they play and train with each other every day so to play like a poor pub team is an embarrassment to every one of them that started.

Agree that the manager needs to take responsibility but to give the players a free pass for one of the worst performances I've seen after watching the Villa for 40 years is utter nonsense.

It's not the first time I've said I think Bruce ruins players

he has his favourites and will shoe horn them in wherever possible if it means he doesn't have to play those he didn't sign or doesn't rate.

plus the 'i have to always play Axl because i promised Jose' sh*t'

he would sign 11 loan players if it mean avoiding his internal bomb squad.

Last night showed that the players that don't get a look in can't be arsed to play for Bruce, they know even if they played a blinder they would still be binned the next game.

The players dont get a pass. No way. They were terrible. Bruce takes the Lions share of the blame and now I think the axe too, but the players have been rubbish this season. Basic mistakes are on their watch. 

7 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

he has his favourites and will shoe horn them in wherever possible if it means he doesn't have to play those he didn't sign or doesn't rate.

plus the 'i have to always play Axl because i promised Jose' sh*t'

he would sign 11 loan players if it mean avoiding his internal bomb squad.

Last night showed that the players that don't get a look in can't be arsed to play for Bruce, they know even if they played a blinder they would still be binned the next game.

all of this is nonsense.

He needs to go but you can't back ANY of those statements up with fact.

Â