Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

I'm not surprised in the slightest, but does that make it ok? 

This kind of performance keeps happening and it's a symptom of poor management/coaching.  You said "Christ, who cares?" and I do care.  

Okay, will you still care if we get promoted at the end of the season?

The way I see it is if the main team start going out there and not bring in results, then there is a severe problem.

I do think Bruce would have preferred to concentrate on the league, rather than last night's cup, I don't mind that if this is the case as the championship is long. Getting the B team out there, playing them and getting them experience needs to be done regardless. The problem with our B team is it just looks like they have hardly touched a ball compared to other B teams and that is a problem because it means they can't be relied upon when the time is needed to jump into the main team.

Our players (except main team) need experience, send them out on loan so they can get first team experience for a while, it needs to be done, they will thrive of it and come back better. If it were up to me I would bring in a ton of loaners like bruce has and have most of our players out on loans for experience, that way when they do come back, they can be gradually embedded into the main team (without problems), they should be brewing with confidence and that game time by then. Or we could just throw them into the main team here and there and risk it like we have been and get round to this every week where Bruce has to keep sorting the lot out, which i could imagine is an headache in itself.

Isn't Bruce sending Andre green out on loan to Portsmouth, this tells me he wants green back as quick as possible, but when the time is rite and green is ready for it. bruce sees the worth in players and doesn't want to rely on loaners, but has no choice. Really Aston Villa shouldn't need loaned players. I think part of the problem has always been because we have been so reluctant to send players out on loan for that all important experience. 

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Okay, will you still care if we get promoted at the end of the season?

Do you see any consistent style of play evident in our performances so far that suggest we have a plan and can feel confident about going up? If so, what can you see?

11 minutes ago, peterms said:

I'm sure you make a lovely couple.

Meanwhile, we could do with a change of manager.

200w.gif

Top by end of October, promoted at a canter if he stays. 

200w.gif

3 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Do you see any consistent style of play evident in our performances so far that suggest we have a plan and can feel confident about going up? If so, what can you see?

I saw us dominate large parts of the game against Brentford, a team that most have put on a pedestal as being far superior than us in their 'style of play'.

I saw us dominate the game against Reading only to self-implode in true Villa style - not true SB style, true Villa style (i.e. it's been going on for as long as I can remember).

We did enough against Hull to win the game fairly comfortably, we played pretty well for most of the match against Wigan though were slightly fortunate to come out with a win in the end, I can't comment on Ipswich as I saw nothing beyond the highlights but yes, I'd have expected us to go on and win that against 10 men.

Losing a game, with a weakened team, in a competition we have no ambitions for this season, is not really that big a deal, in my opinion.

Lose on Saturday (and play badly) and that's another thing altogether.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Funny how we have so many experts on last night's game, given that there were no live streams that I'm aware of.

We lost a mickey mouse cup game with a team made up largely of players who do not (or will not, once everyone is fit) get near the first team.

Christ, who cares? (aside from the few thousand who did pay to go watch it, but as we know, there's unlikely to be many of them on VT).

Win at the weekend and no one will give a shit.

Thats nonsense if you think its just about last nights match.   

43 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

We lost a mickey mouse cup game with a team made up largely of players who do not (or will not, once everyone is fit) get near the first team.

Christ, who cares?

I care, because 8 of the players starting were players Bruce had signed. Players that Bruce clearly thought were capable of getting promotion from the Championship.

The other three have been under his stewardship for over two years.  

The fact he couldn't get a performance out of them to beat a team currently 21st in league 1, that we hadn't lost to in recent history, tells me everything about his ability as a manager.  Not to mention playing three right backs in one team.

Happy that we're out the cup and are minimising the number of games where our core first team can get injured/worn out, but totally unconvinced that Bruce will turn the corner with our first team and get us promoted.  And I don't buy the fact Bruce is intelligent enough to have put that team out the way he did with the intention of losing.

Edited by MrBlack

38 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I think the point being made by a lot of posters Bobzy, is that Bruce is to blame because he didn't put out a "Team" against Burton last night, he sent out a disjointed shambles.

He picked three right backs, one Centre Back and a woeful Taylor, and then played the disjointed bunch in front of a rookie keeper.

On the seventy minute mark when we needed to change something to chase the game, Bruce took off our only CB and replaced him with .... you've guessed it .... our fourth right back of the night!

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I care, because 8 of the players starting ere players Bruce had signed. Players that Bruce clearly thought were capable of getting promotion from the Championship.

The other three have been under his stewardship for over two years.  

The fact he couldn't get a performance out of them to beat a team currently 21st in league 1, that we hadn't lost to in recent history, tells me everything about his ability as a manager.  Not to mention playing three right backs in one team.

I thought the narrative was that Bruce played players out of position constantly and that Tuanzebe was actually a centre back being shoe horned into playing right back.  Is he now a right back?

17 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I saw us dominate the game against Reading only to self-implode in true Villa style - not true SB style, true Villa style (i.e. it's been going on for as long as I can remember).

So now it's nothing to do with the guy that built the squad, more to do with some Villa hoodoo.

Quick, where's Barry Fry? We need to piss on the corner flags to exercise such witchcraft.

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I thought the narrative was that Bruce played players out of position constantly and that Tuanzebe was actually a centre back being shoe horned into playing right back.  Is he now a right back?

Bree, De Laet, Elmo (70mins)

Definitely 3 right backs there.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I saw us dominate large parts of the game against Brentford, a team that most have put on a pedestal as being far superior than us in their 'style of play'.

We did enough against Hull to win the game fairly comfortably, we played pretty well for most of the match against Wigan though were slightly fortunate to come out with a win in the end, I can't comment on Ipswich as I saw nothing beyond the highlights but yes, I'd have expected us to go on and win that against 10 men.

Losing a game, with a weakened team, in a competition we have no ambitions for this season, is not really that big a deal, in my opinion.

Lose on Saturday (and play badly) and that's another thing altogether.

You sound like Bruce. Always the victim, never his fault. 

That of 13 Bruce signings in the squad were 8 of the 12 that took the field against Burton is not only to his detriment as a football manager it's a disgrace, a debacle. 

Edited by Kiwivillan

5 minutes ago, Dick said:

Bree, De Laet, Elmo (70mins)

Definitely 3 right backs there.

Despite Elmo playing as a right winger recently?

I hate versatile players.

Edit:  Noted; no comment on the 4th one.

Edited by bobzy

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

So now it's nothing to do with the guy that built the squad, more to do with some Villa hoodoo.

Quick, where's Barry Fry? We need to piss on the corner flags to exercise such witchcraft.

James Chester jumping in on a player in the 93rd minute was pretty much nothing to do with the manager, yes.

I mean, what the ****?  Voodoo?  Jesus.

Just now, bobzy said:

Jedinak has played at CB recently, it doesn't mean he's anywhere close to being a CB though. 

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Edit:  Noted; no comment on the 4th one.

Right back for the majority of last season where he was a success. You pointing out he has been played at right wing recently just proves that Bruce is playing him out of his best position. That's what Bruce is doing wrong, too many square pegs in round holes.

He goes for what he sees as safe instead of what suits the team, not playing players in positions they have been fairly successful at. He plays trusted players out of position to try and be safe.

Edited by Dick

Â