Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Well this season we've pretty much done what we did last - build a first 11 half composed of loans. Understandably we may not have the FFP room to do anything else but I can't see a different outcome with Bruce in charge. We'll get 'there or thereabouts'. Maybe the owners are happy to do this and implement a long term plan next summer. I'd rather Bruce got the chop now.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

The argument at Sunderland tbf was that he just kept piling crap upon crap..

Two more games and he'll have managed the same amount of matches for us.

I hope he goes after Sheffield U. Actually, I hope he goes before then. Right now, whenever. Can't come soon enough. 

I think we'll get something at Sheff U then lose to Blackburn. Then a midweek home game with Rotherham beckons.

• Like 1

Funny how we have so many experts on last night's game, given that there were no live streams that I'm aware of.

We lost a mickey mouse cup game with a team made up largely of players who do not (or will not, once everyone is fit) get near the first team.

Christ, who cares? (aside from the few thousand who did pay to go watch it, but as we know, there's unlikely to be many of them on VT).

Win at the weekend and no one will give a shit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Funny how we have so many experts on last night's game, given that there were no live streams that I'm aware of.

We lost a mickey mouse cup game with a team made up largely of players who do not (or will not, once everyone is fit) get near the first team.

Christ, who cares? (aside from the few thousand who did pay to go watch it, but as we know, there's unlikely to be many of them on VT).

It's more about the manner in which we lost. Shit football, shit tactics, and once again playing players outside of their positions to shoe horn guys in.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

What was the point in signing them then?

Surely the idea is to have a competitive squad who can all contribute?  Rather than over-relying on a choice few who can pull a rabbit out of a hat for him every so often?

I'm not bothered we're out of the cup - it's more than this was an example that showed there is no effective system or style of play being imposed.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I hate the term "support Bruce" or "Bruce backers" etc - I'm neither in favour nor against him.  Most of the time I find myself going against those who adamantly want him out is that reason appears not to be a thing.  I didn't consider last season a "failure" (I quite enjoyed it!) and we're not complete shit.  So, whilst the manager could be doing better and our football could be better too, we're not in a crisis and not doing terribly.  If that changes, I'll likely want Bruce gone.  Until then, I'm more a "meh".  Apparently, this means I'm incredibly pro Bruce.  Go figure...

Ultimately, bad performances over a period of time will end up being because of the manager.  To be a cliched as possible, the buck stops there.  However, as a one-off match (and unless some really bizarre decisions were made by the manager anyway, as I say, I didn't see the game at all) more "blame" should be apportioned to those on the pitch - unless you're of the view that the team put out simply wasn't good enough to beat Burton's.

I think the point being made by a lot of posters Bobzy, is that Bruce is to blame because he didn't put out a "Team" against Burton last night, he sent out a disjointed shambles.

He picked three right backs, one Centre Back and a woeful Taylor, and then played the disjointed bunch in front of a rookie keeper.

On the seventy minute mark when we needed to change something to chase the game, Bruce took off our only CB and replaced him with .... you've guessed it .... our fourth right back of the night!

During the first seventy minutes when our totally disconnected defence including the extra right back who was apparently supposed to be our defensive midfielder this time, trying to sort out where he should be in relation to the other two defensive midfielders who were crowding his space (are you with me so far?) our small isolated striker was feasting on long balls being whacked up in his general direction, as our defence worked their "kick it anywhere, cos we don't really know what we're supposed to do here" system.

So ..... when Bruce says that it was embarrassing last night, he's right. When he throws the players under the bus he's wrong.

The blame lies with the man who expects his selection of four right backs, one CB, a couple of holding midfielders and an isolated young striker to win the match!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

Still the man for me.

#Brucein 

Can I get a thanks and a confused face on this please guys? Never had the full set on one post before #lifegoals 

33 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Well this season we've pretty much done what we did last - build a first 11 half composed of loans. Understandably we may not have the FFP room to do anything else but I can't see a different outcome with Bruce in charge. We'll get 'there or thereabouts'. Maybe the owners are happy to do this and implement a long term plan next summer. I'd rather Bruce got the chop now.

This year we seem to have given ourselves options to buy on the majority (I might be wrong) which makes me think it’s about FFP and shifting the costs a year, and also about us not having to do the deals if we don’t get promoted. So it seems less short term.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

You can't honestly be serious? A Villa team lost to a League 1 side in wretched form, managing a solitary shot on target. Maybe two if you're generous.

And I care about cups and winning trophies. Not that I think for one second we'd win one under Bruce but Id rather go out to stronger opposition.

That team were plenty strong enough to beat Burton and mistly Bruces signings. There were at least half in that starting XI that could be considered first team players. It wasnt a collection of fans on a red letter day.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

What was the point in signing them then?

Surely the idea is to have a competitive squad who can all contribute?  Rather than over-relying on a choice few who can pull a rabbit out of a hat for him every so often?

I'm not bothered we're out of the cup - it's more than this was an example that showed there is no effective system or style of play being imposed.  

Why are you even surprised? When was the last time you can recall us making wholesale changes in a game such as this and putting in a strong performance?

7 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

It's more about the manner in which we lost. Shit football, shit tactics, and once again playing players outside of their positions to shoe horn guys in.

But again, if you're going to get minutes in to people when do you do it? Certainly not a league game. 

I'd have rather won, but being realistic about it and what we're hoping to achieve this season, I'm glad we're out and I suspect that is mirrored around all departments of the club too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

You can't honestly be serious? A Villa team lost to a League 1 side in wretched form, managing a solitary shot on target. Maybe two if you're generous.

And I care about cups and winning trophies. Not that I think for one second we'd win one under Bruce but Id rather go out to stronger opposition.

That team were plenty strong enough to beat Burton and mistly Bruces signings. There were at least half in that starting XI that could be considered first team players. It wasnt a collection of fans on a red letter day.

Deadly.

Why are you even surprised? When was the last time you can recall us making wholesale changes in a game such as this and putting in a strong performance?

I'm not surprised in the slightest, but does that make it ok? 

This kind of performance keeps happening and it's a symptom of poor management/coaching.  You said "Christ, who cares?" and I do care.  

• Like 2

they all knew in advance the team that was going to be put out and had a preview of how they were likely to play vs yeovil...i, like you, am neither surprised nor bothered about last night's result

i am astounded at the reaction from last night's game...had he played the 1st team and consequently lost saturday he would have been slated for not resting players. burton have been a championship side last 2 seasons, they're not some non league outfit. we had no divine right to turn up and turn them over with our 2nd string. do you think many leeds fans could give a monkeys about being beaten comfortably at home by a 10 man preston? teams in the championship simply cannot sustain a promotion push and a cup run in the same season...the big guns arrive in the next round, and bruce would have had to play more first teamers if we went up against a chelsea, city, or liverpool as it would do the kids no good whatsoever to get done 5/6/7-0. then what if we lose kodjia, mcginn or jack through injury? it's a cup we have next to zero chance of winning, and given the choice i wouldnt enter it in the first place

• Like 4

Â