Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

18 minutes ago, PatrickCousens said:

I think Bruce has done OK - he stopped the rot and got us moving the right way, but his time is up. His legacy will be defined by how quickly he goes, people will remember him for ruining this season if he is allowed to do so - if not they may take a kinder reading.

I agree with that. A clean break and I will remember him as the man who stopped the rot but couldn't get us to the next level, which is fine. If he sticks around and costs us more points then yeah I will remember him less kindly.

• Like 1

Garry Thompson has nailed it: “Thompson fears Bruce's Villa rely too heavily on 'bits of brilliance' from flair players such as Jack Grealish and Jonathan Kodjia to hurt opponents rather than having a 'framework' for beating teams.” https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/no-one-knows-pundits-damning-15200367.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by Django_Zooms
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Django_Zooms said:

Garry Thompson has nailed it: “Thompson fears Bruce's Villa rely too heavily on 'bits of brilliance' from flair players such as Jack Grealish and Jonathan Kodjia to hurt opponents rather than having a 'framework' for beating teams.” https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/no-one-knows-pundits-damning-15200367.amp?__twitter_impression=true

I've been banging on about this for years; it seems to have been the Villa (non-)way for so long.  I remember feeling this even when Martin O'Neill was in charge.  If you don't press and you don't pass and move, all you have left is a bit of inspiration from the flair players - but if they're having an off-day....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Django_Zooms said:

Even I have noted this issue these last years, and I haven't got a footballing brain if you threw one after me.

• Like 1

Derby can count themselves lucky that they have such an experienced manager who has been at the club for such a long time. They're also jammy that they have a far superior squad to ours so that they can take on teams like Man Utd, compete strongly and manage to win on penalties.

Our manager has only been at the club for 2 years and should be given another 100 games minimum to get the squad playing to their potential.

• Like 2

I’m not sure who would have watched it. But if you ever wanted to see a manager who is past it vs one who is up and coming the United Derby game was that. 

Lampard set up to keep hold of the ball and attack United and it worked. Mourinho just like Bruce expects better player to get him out of trouble and it’s not working anymore. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stephen_Evans said:

I've been banging on about this for years; it seems to have been the Villa (non-)way for so long.  I remember feeling this even when Martin O'Neill was in charge.  If you don't press and you don't pass and move, all you have left is a bit of inspiration from the flair players - but if they're having an off-day....

This was quoted from Radio WM. Thomson also said , "you watch certain teams and they have a style, Wolves, Derby, West Brom, you can even see Bloose playing to a certain style. With Villa there is no style of play in any game i've watched"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TRO said:

Well, Liam Cooper and Pontus Janssen are members of their back four so not so sure, we have better man for man.

I have no doubt they are coached better.....but,

Our 2 Centre backs have no pace, so they naturally stay deep, because they can't get back....if our midfielders then go forward it leaves gaps for the opposition to play in.

If you go forward, you have to go as a block or unit, not a department, in order to deny space for the opposition.....Our back four is a real issue for me...in many ways.

Jannsen, their best defender, has been in and 9ut the side because he doesn't quite fit their style. Hutton and Elmo and Tuanzebe are all quick. We could easily play higher up. But Bruce has no balls. 

Why do pundits feel the need to use weasel words when they say that we lack a ‘framework’ or ‘style’? I presume it’s to protect Steve Bruce and make it sound like our shit performances are some kind of tragic accident...

It’s a lack of TACTICS lads. Steve Bruce’s team lack any semblance of TACTICS. 

12 hours ago, PatrickCousens said:

I think Bruce has done OK - he stopped the rot and got us moving the right way, but his time is up. His legacy will be defined by how quickly he goes, people will remember him for ruining this season if he is allowed to do so - if not they may take a kinder reading.

I think that'd be a big win for him. He'll revel in saying it was the only the end when he struggled.

We played this way all last season, he should have gone during his first summer here. His legacy for me is one of, if not the worst manager in 30 years.

No one else has had us in the second division, facing weaker opposition almost every week. He's been given brilliant resources to build a team to play any way he wants and this is what he's come up with. Oh, and he keeps sniping at fans when he's had 99% support at 99% of his matches.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I agree with that. A clean break and I will remember him as the man who stopped the rot but couldn't get us to the next level, which is fine. If he sticks around and costs us more points then yeah I will remember him less kindly.

He is much acclaimed for this, but I do not believe it was all that difficult to stop the rot. New owner; money to splash around on top players for the division; a general feeling of positivity.

He was lucky to get in at the right time.

• Like 4

Â