Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

He's absolutely spot on. It angers me that Bruce is still here.

Oh i agree, but its too scarily bang on for someone who by his own admission has only been to VP once this season. 

I agree with ever word, i just think that the article itself has been heavily researched no doubt using VT as its source material. 

34 minutes ago, av1 said:

Oh i agree, but its too scarily bang on for someone who by his own admission has only been to VP once this season. 

I agree with ever word, i just think that the article itself has been heavily researched no doubt using VT as its source material. 

Matt Law is a Villa fan, he's probably been aware of the issues as long as most fans, even if he doesn't get down to games.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Matt Law is a Villa fan, he's probably been aware of the issues as long as most fans, even if he doesn't get down to games.

No doubt SB will say he is one of the "mad few" that he can never convince. 

The simple fact is that this is the general consensus among villa fans and SB is on borrowed time. He said at the weekend he would never walk away, I think that is down to his pay off more than any sense of loyalty to the club. 

15 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Oh i didn't know that. In which case i take back my post ?

I think we’re in the Brucey end game now. If we keep losing Bruce will regress further and further into his shell and play more and more defensively to try and ‘stop the rot’ and ‘fix the fundimentals’, which will obviously backfire since our squad is tailor-made to play on the front foot and attack. 

All eyes will be on Villa this Friday night since we are the first game of the weekend, and we should get some decent national coverage on sky and bbc etc.  Nowhere to hide for Bruce if we play badly again and the cat will be well and truly out of the bag.

The flip side of that is if we win comfortably then expect Bruce to give it the big un’ in his post match interview and he’ll be sticking around for a while. 

The most frustrating thing is that this was all so predictable we end up where we are under Bruce.

That Matt Law article and that much posted article from his time at Sunderland both paint the picture we now see.

Bruce is Bruce and this is what he does. It is what it is, sometimes a bit better, sometimes a bit worse.

Thing is it's not good enough is it?

It's 2 years wasted and everyday that goes by is another one wasted.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

When you have new rich owners on the one side, and FFP restrictions on the other, it's a very difficult equation to solve.

The EFL are currently flexing their FFP muscles ready for a clash with offenders at the end of this season.

What approach should our owners take?

Our squad is probably good enough to get promoted even after our bumbling first nine league games. Unfortunately Steve Bruce isn't good enough to oversee a promotion challenge. Each game that he remains in charge for is likely to be a step in the opposite direction to the one in which we need to go.

The point you make about controlled development as opposed to rushed "panic" decisions is a valid one in any other circumstance, but time is not our friend in this situation. Due to the tightening of the FFP noose we are going to be left hanging if we miss out on promotion this season. If we are in the Championship next season Sawiris and Edens will be forced to scale down their plans to the pace of rebuild that you refer to TRO, a slow and methodical job with younger cheaper players. The next 37 league games offer one last fast track chance .... but not with Steve Bruce at the helm!

yeah, I get all that.

at the moment its like watching someone for hours with a Rubik cube.....a solution with Steve Bruce looks impossible.

17 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It doesn't fit together - and it's worth noting that whoever we bring in would need a magic wand to turn this squad into challengers for the title - it's only a slight exaggeration to describe it as the six best players in the championship plus me, my aunt, two blokes from the chippy and my nephew - coaching won't fix that, but a manager more adept at forward play, especially the type of quick, clever, patterned forward play our midfield and forwards are capable of could do a lot better than Bruce is imo.

Scott maybe it is me wearing claret and blue specs but I look at our squad and I think the midfield and forward line is better than any other in the division and the back 4 despite the issue at centre back isn't that bad that it renders the squad as a whole incapable of mounting a promotion push.

There is no real stand out team this year like last with Wolves. Despite our start we still only find our 5 points off top and a couple of points off the play offs and overall we have been poor. Not just defensively but going forward. If a new manager can come in and get us playing anything like to our potential going forward then we will be more than a handful for any side in this division.

With our weakness being our back line then attack should be the best form of defence for us but as you and others have alluded to that simply isn't Steve Bruce's way. We may play an attacking line up but it is always with an emphasis on defending with us sitting deep, our front players not pressing the opposing teams back line, a gap between our midfield and attack and our wide players more concerned with protecting our full back than pressing back the opposing full back.

I'd imagine a manager with an attacking inclination would be rubbing his hands as to what he could do with our squad.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Scott maybe it is me wearing claret and blue specs but I look at our squad and I think the midfield and forward line is better than any other in the division and the back 4 despite the issue at centre back isn't that bad that it renders the squad as a whole incapable of mounting a promotion push.

There is no real stand out team this year like last with Wolves. Despite our start we still only find our 5 points off top and a couple of points off the play offs and overall we have been poor. Not just defensively but going forward. If a new manager can come in and get us playing anything like to our potential going forward then we will be more than a handful for any side in this division.

With our weakness being our back line then attack should be the best form of defence for us but as you and others have alluded to that simply isn't Steve Bruce's way. We may play an attacking line up but it is always with an emphasis on defending with us sitting deep, our front players not pressing the opposing teams back line, a gap between our midfield and attack and our wide players more concerned with protecting our full back than pressing back the opposing full back.

I'd imagine a manager with an attacking inclination would be rubbing his hands as to what he could do with our squad.

I could be wrong, but I don't think it works by having one good department and saying  play to that.....A good solid defence is the bedrock of a good team and they contribute to attacking play ( directly & indirectly)and give the attackers confidence to do things they may otherwise not normally do.

Football is about 11 players doing attack and defence IMO and the attack contribute to the defence and vice versa( how do the attack contribute? , by holding on to the ball, by retaining it. Gary shaw was a past master......as Wenger said teams score goals, individuals just finish the moves off....but we haven't got a team, its just a bunch of individuals trying to keep their head above water.

We don't hunt in packs, its every man for himself.

If our attack never lost the ball, we could do that and just rely on them....but they do lose the ball, regularly....and that's when our problems start...we can't defend.

Steve Bruce has found himself in a no mans land....we are now neither one thing or the other.

Its great playing attacking players, but then there is no one to win the ball back when we have lost it......We haven't got Enough players who naturally turn the ball over.....and we give it away like a benevolent fool.

our problems are not singular they multi faceted....its like a massive knock on effect.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, av1 said:

Agreed but at least it's better than 90% of the shite in the media that's written or said without any research and only watching highlights. He came down and saw us play, talked to the fans and checked our message board to get an overall picture. Can't expect the lad to have watched every Villa game for the last two seasons. He'd be hanging from the rafters if he did. 

• Like 1

The "controlled development" point is also taken care of by a new hierarchy, if you have a DOF/sporting director who comes up with the plan and gets his scouting staff in and hires a head coach and coaching team etc. Then every time you change head coach they are hired to fit into what is in place, as it stands we're still living in 30 years ago land where every time you change the manager you are changing the entire football side of the club, it's philosophy, maybe even the tactics down the academy, everything.

With the right structure in place, a change of head coach, whilst still being a big deal, is nothing like the upheaval chopping and changing managers is. I'd like to see us go down that route ASAP. Seeing as there's no recruitment to be done till Jan, we could even hire head coach and coaching team first which whilst not ideal would hopefully maximise what we have on the pitch while we get the rest in place for Jan. if we can be 5-8 points off automatic come January and then have everything in place to get 2 or 3 quality bodies in with some good recruitment networks in place then we could try and push on from there.

Keeping Bruce at this point is not helping to get us enough points to be close enough to the top when we do have the structure in place and he sort of stands in the way of an incoming sporting director if their philosophy doesn't match wht Bruce wants to do. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Despite our start we still only find our 5 points off top and a couple of points off the play offs and overall we have been poor. 

Very true. I'm worried though that despite the above,  we haven't played any of the good teams yet and I just can't see it getting any better especially with the November games ahead ?

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think it works by having one good department and saying  play to that.....A good solid defence is the bedrock of a good team and they contribute to attacking play and give the attackers confidence to do things they may otherwise normally do.

Football is about 11 players doing attack and defence IMO and the attack contribute to the defence and vice versa( how do the attack contribute , by holding on to the ball, by retaining it, Gary shaw was a past master......as Wenger said teams score goals, individuals just finish the moves off....but we haven't got a team, its just a bunch of individuals trying to keep their head above water.

We don't hunt in packs, its every man for himself.

If our attack never lost the ball, we could do that....but they do lose the ball, regularly....and that's when our problems start...we can't defend.

Steve Bruce has found himself in a no mans land....we are now neither one thing or the other.

Its great playing attacking players, but then there is no one to win the ball back when we have lost it......We haven't got Enough players who naturally turn the ball over.....and we give it away like a benevolent fool.

our problems are not singular they multi faceted....its like a massive knock on effect.

You play to your strengths. We aren't talking about the Premier League here. This is a very average championship there is no team that is strong in every department never mind 3 or 4 off them to completely rule us out of a promotion push. Look at any side and some will be strong at the back, but lack going forward and be looking to grind out results, some will be strong on set pieces but can create next to nothing from open play etc etc

We aren't a total shambles defensively and certainly no worse at the back than half of the championship. The defence isn't the major issue for me. It is the failing to play to the strengths of our attacking players by telling them to be too cautious, to sit too deep, to stand off the opposition and allow them to pretty much have free reign to get into our half.

It would be great to see what an attack minded manager could get out of our squad.

• Like 2

Â