Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

On 23/09/2018 at 20:51, villabromsgrove said:

I've seen posters being castigated for saying "I would rather lose the next match if it meant that Bruce would be sacked". The standard reply is "I'm Villa through and through and I would never want us to lose a game, shame on you"!

I'm still going to say it knowing that I'll probably get jumped on.

We play Bristol City on Friday night and Preston on Tuesday night, and I really hope that we lose both of these matches.

Bruce cannot survive another two losses on the spin, and Villa cannot continue with this clown at the helm.

I'm not even going to reach for a tin hat .... because I'm convinced it's absolutely necessary!

I'm mostly with you.  I always want Villa to win, but I'm prepared to forego a win or two if it gets rid of Fistface.  Sticking with him is a sure fire way of staying in this crappy division for another year, and if we don't go up this year, the FFP chickens are really going to come home to roost next season.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Risso said:

I'm mostly with you.  I always want Villa to win, but I'm prepared to forego a win or two if it gets rid of Fistface.  Sticking with him is a sure fire way of staying in this crappy division for another year, and if we don't go up this year, the FFP chickens are really going to come home to roost next season.

I used to slate people who thought this way or said this, but sadly, I am also here.

Some people can twist it however they want to, but what they should really be looking at is what it has taken for some fans to get to this point.

Bitter taste.

• Like 3

I've always felt guilty for wanting us to lose a game to encourage the owners to sack the manager. It happened under McLeish and now it has happened again.

It's incredible that the exploits of the manager of the football club can actually make it's own fans hope for a defeat. Should tell the board everything they need to know.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cjay said:

Could it be that the owners are keeping Bruce till the end of the season.

Then if no promotion  (provided you meet FFP somehow).

They sack him.

Get in a new manager and give him huge funds ?

No. He will be gone pretty soon.

No.

And yes - providing he get's us promoted, he will be backed handsomely.

36 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

Interesting viewpoints on this and I risk going off topic a little. Anyway, I used to admire Dwight Yorke after seeing his little 'Roger Milla' jig around the corner flag in his early days as a Villa player and then seeing him blossom into a fabulous player for us. I adored my little Yorkie bar. Then he had his head turned... broke my heart. I didn't begrudge him getting a little bit of glory with Manchester United per se, but I will never forget (nor forgive) the day he came back to Villa Park with Blackburn Rovers in the FA Cup and scored for them at the Holte End. If it wasn't bad enough being repeatedly beaten over the back of the head by a young fan behind me touting a rubber dinosaur, Dwight Yorke, when he scored, grinned into the Holte End. He flipping well GRINNED. Seemingly right at me... his white teeth sparkling as he (what I interpreted anyway) poured not just salt... but, vinegar and vitriol on the flames of my already broken heart. What a word removed. If I had a gun, I would have shot him.

(Well, an air rifle with rubber bullets... okay, okay... a Nerf gun with foam darts)

I screamed, I bawled, I raged... so bad, that I felt dizzy and had a tightness in my chest. I was in my early 20s. Scared myself silly. Football can sometimes flip you... make you act in ways you never considered possible. It's tribal... and often can be feral.

I'm way, way short of feeling like that with Bruce, to bring things back on topic. For the record, I've never quite been like that since. I still rant, still lose my temper, but it's never been quite like my falling out with Dwight 'shit-bag' Yorke.

Great story. I might start a thread about the topic.

I don’t think I’ve ever felt genuine anger but a few things still really rile me today. One is MON selling Gary Cahill. I don’t think I’ll ever get over how a top manager could let go of such a talent.

The second is the appointment of Mcleish. I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a disregard for fans by an owner as Lerner’s decision to appoint Mcliesh.  It left me speechless. 

As for Bruce. There is no hate. He is just way out of his depth and needs to be relieved of his duties. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

He went from 3 in the middle with a defensive mid then 2 games ago went to a 2 with no defensive mid and moved Jack out wide. Surely a midfield 3 of McGinn, Hourihane and Jack gives more defensive protection than a 2 but offers more mobility and drive than a 3 with Jedi or Whelan. I think it is a happy medium between the overly cautious 3 in the midfield with the defined defensive mid of Jedi or Whelan or the perhaps too open 2 in the middle we have seen over the last week of Hourihane and McGinn. 

I would be tempted to go 4-2-3-1 away......but home 4-3-3

4-4-2 don't seem to suit us.

until a better manager takes over.

Edited by TRO

9 hours ago, Risso said:

I'd agree, but it depends a bit on what the replacement would be. Which we obviously don't know. I simply have no faith in AVFC picking managers. The few times we've had the right idea we've had no patience. The times we picked the wrong man from the bat, like Bruce, we give them all the time in the world. 

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'd agree, but it depends a bit on what the replacement would be. Which we obviously don't know. I simply have no faith in AVFC picking managers. The few times we've had the right idea we've had no patience. The times we picked the wrong man from the bat, like Bruce, we give them all the time in the world. 

The problem is in the c10 years we have been desperate to improve our position.....no time to develop at a reasonable pace.....everything is a panic, every loss is a set back.

its easier said than done but we just need to concentrate on development.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

Interesting viewpoints on this and I risk going off topic a little. Anyway, I used to admire Dwight Yorke after seeing his little 'Roger Milla' jig around the corner flag in his early days as a Villa player and then seeing him blossom into a fabulous player for us. I adored my little Yorkie bar. Then he had his head turned... broke my heart. I didn't begrudge him getting a little bit of glory with Manchester United per se, but I will never forget (nor forgive) the day he came back to Villa Park with Blackburn Rovers in the FA Cup and scored for them at the Holte End. If it wasn't bad enough being repeatedly beaten over the back of the head by a young fan behind me touting a rubber dinosaur, Dwight Yorke, when he scored, grinned into the Holte End. He flipping well GRINNED. Seemingly right at me... his white teeth sparkling as he (what I interpreted anyway) poured not just salt... but, vinegar and vitriol on the flames of my already broken heart. What a word removed. If I had a gun, I would have shot him.

(Well, an air rifle with rubber bullets... okay, okay... a Nerf gun with foam darts)

I screamed, I bawled, I raged... so bad, that I felt dizzy and had a tightness in my chest. I was in my early 20s. Scared myself silly. Football can sometimes flip you... make you act in ways you never considered possible. It's tribal... and often can be feral.

I'm way, way short of feeling like that with Bruce, to bring things back on topic. For the record, I've never quite been like that since. I still rant, still lose my temper, but it's never been quite like my falling out with Dwight 'shit-bag' Yorke.

Imagine him becoming the new manager ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Very good point TRO and is exactly what Villa need to concentrate on if they are to move forward.

I suppose the closest Villa have come to that way of thinking recently is through the appointment of Tim Sherwood due to his record with young players at Spurs. Either side of that I can’t really think of too many other managerial appointments by Villa that had a focus on re-developing the club to bring it into the modern way of playing football. Maybe some might argue that Lambert could have also been forward thinking but he was badly hamstrung by Lerner withdrawing financial support.

Personally I feel Villa need a new infrastructure on the playing side throughout the club. Certainly the appointment of Bruce was never going to do that as he was seen as a steadying influence on a sinking ship. He has done that and got rid of many bad apples which were affecting team moral. He has also build more than a decent squad. A tad light maybe in defence this season but the squad is very strong elsewhere and there is definitely something to build on.

However as we’ve seen throughout the tenure of Bruce at the Villa with few exceptions  he is incapable of getting Villa to play the more modern style of pass and move football which we all want to see. He won’t be building a new infrastructure either through the youth set up. Any player being promoted from the youth setup to the 1st team will have to fit into Bruce’s archaic style of play with the emphasis on safety first.

So I fear the longer Steve Bruce stays at the Villa the stranglehold of the past will stop the club from finally moving forward into a new era of modern football.

It is time for him to go and a more modern progressive manager to replace him.

• Like 1

It was only a matter of time. Most Journos don't actually watch a game, so it's just stats and relationship based what they write. As soon as one actually wastes 90 minutes of their life watching this terdball, they realise what we're put through every week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

The problem is in the c10 years we have been desperate to improve our position.....no time to develop at a reasonable pace.....everything is a panic, every loss is a set back.

When you have new rich owners on the one side, and FFP restrictions on the other, it's a very difficult equation to solve.

The EFL are currently flexing their FFP muscles ready for a clash with offenders at the end of this season.

What approach should our owners take?

Our squad is probably good enough to get promoted even after our bumbling first nine league games. Unfortunately Steve Bruce isn't good enough to oversee a promotion challenge. Each game that he remains in charge for is likely to be a step in the opposite direction to the one in which we need to go.

The point you make about controlled development as opposed to rushed "panic" decisions is a valid one in any other circumstance, but time is not our friend in this situation. Due to the tightening of the FFP noose we are going to be left hanging if we miss out on promotion this season. If we are in the Championship next season Sawiris and Edens will be forced to scale down their plans to the pace of rebuild that you refer to TRO, a slow and methodical job with younger cheaper players. The next 37 league games offer one last fast track chance .... but not with Steve Bruce at the helm!

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

This is the article:

The guy to my right started within the first minute of kick-off. “It’s a joke”, he frequently complained. “We can’t pass. The defending’s s****.” And so it went on.:snip:

But it is becoming a matter of when and not if Purslow has to take a tough decision on Bruce if the murmurings are not to get louder and Villa’s season is not to become a write off.

Looks like another journalist has been reading VT.

Â