Dalian Atkinson

Pongotastic

30 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

This all seems to stem from my post saying there were some disturbing reports emerging regarding this, which there are. 

It didn't to be fair. I don't think you're trying to use his death for political gain nor do I think it should not be discussed at all. 

• Like 2

Dalian Atkinson was before my time unfortunately, but after becoming a Villan it didn't take me long to see his incredible goal against Wimbledon. The goal and the umbrella celebration will forever live in my memory. This is terribly sad news.

Holte Ender in the sky.

5 hours ago, Gary Thomas said:

Great video

Beautiful. Thank you for posting this.

Still can't believe it. I hope that the truth, whatever it may be, is exposed and if the police are in fact culpable, they are brought to account.

RIP Dalian. Legend. ;(

• Like 1

In the early 90's it was always Saunders 9 on my shirt until one day Dalian picked up my friend's sister from Salisbury Road, Moseley. He had this big smile and let me sit in the driver's seat of his car. I must have been 7 at the time. After that I was Atkinson mad. He always seemed like he enjoyed his football and will fondly remember him.

R.I.P Dalian vtid.

P.s. I'm not quite sure why this has affected me so much. I guess he was around when I first started to follow the Villa.

• Like 1

I reckon but for that injury to Dalian during the 1992/93 season we'd have won the league that year. Saunders and Atkinson were on fire and by the time Dalian came back he wasn't quite the same. Yorke I think replaced Dalian and although was good, he was still very young and didn't have the pace and power that Dalian gave us. 

They were great memories when Ron was manager. It wasn't all good but Dalian was a big part of that and I miss him already. 

• Like 2

He gave me some of the happiest memories I have ever had as a Villa fan. He was my dad's favourite player which automatically made him mine. I was only 8 at the time but I remember the cup final vividly. Watching at home and jumping on the sofa when we scored.

7 minutes ago, omariqy said:

He gave me some of the happiest memories I have ever had as a Villa fan. He was my dad's favourite player which automatically made him mine. I was only 8 at the time but I remember the cup final vividly. Watching at home and jumping on the sofa when we scored.

I did that, too. 

I was 40.  

• Like 3

Taser death footballer Dalian Atkinson 'threatened to kill his father'

By PA  Aug 16, 2016

Updated: Aug 16th 2016 07:45 AM

Former Aston Villa footballer Dalian Atkinson threatened to kill his elderly father in a "manic state" before he was Tasered by police, his brother said.

The 48-year-old died 90 minutes after he was hit by the stun gun in the street where he grew up in the Trench area of Telford, Shropshire, in the early hours of Monday morning.

According to relatives Atkinson was suffering from a number of health issues and had a weak heart when he was hit by the weapon at around 1.30am.

The retired sportsman went into cardiac arrest in an ambulance on his way to hospital and medics were unable to save him.

Police officers in Meadow Close in the Trench area of Telford (Joe Giddens/PA)

The death is now under investigation by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), the police watchdog which investigates all instances when a Taser is used.

Atkinson's brother, Kenroy, 53, told The Sun the ex-Premier League star had undergone dialysis for kidney failure and was "not in his right mind".

He said his brother had attacked their 85-year-old father, Ernest, at his home on Monday before police were called to the scene.

"My brother had lost it. He was in a manic state and depressed - out of his mind and ranting. He had a tube in his shoulder for the dialysis and he had ripped it out and was covered in blood," he told the newspaper.

A forensic officer at the scene in Telford (Joe Giddens/PA)

"He got dad by the throat and said he was going to kill him. He told dad he had already killed me, our brother Paul and sister Elaine and he had come for him. He was not in his right mind.

"We are all devastated. Our family is heartbroken."

Using barbed wires fired at a suspect, the shock delivered by a Taser can be thousands of volts in strength and is intended to immobilise.

On Monday Atkinson's nephew, Fabian Atkinson, suggested officers would not have used the stun gun if they had known the ex-striker's medical history.

Fabian Atkinson, nephew of Dalian Atkinson, speaking to neighbours (Joe Giddens/PA)

He said: "He had some health issues that he was trying to get through and that's why his heart was weak.

"When a Taser is deployed, as soon as a Taser is deployed, they need to automatically call an ambulance. How do they know the health of the guy or the girl that they are affecting?"

West Mercia Police said officers were called amid concerns "for the safety of an individual" and then deployed the stun guns.

Atkinson was a top-flight striker in the 1990s, starting his career at Ipswich Town then playing for Sheffield Wednesday and Spanish side Real Sociedad before moving to Villa.

Atkinson was a top-flight striker in the 1990s (Sean Dempsey/PA)

He scored 23 goals in 85 appearances for the Birmingham side between 1991 and 1995, before going on to play less successfully for teams including Turkish side Fenerbahce and Manchester City. He ended his playing career in South Korea in 2001.

Atkinson's former friend and team-mate, Carlton Palmer, said he had struggled after his sporting career ended.

"It can be difficult for players when they finish and I know Dalian found it difficult," Palmer said. "When you finish as a footballer, all of a sudden at 34 or 35 you have no routine and no structure to your life, and that can be a major problem.

"It can be a very dangerous spiral and unfortunately that's what it was for Dalian."

Atkinson with his Villa manager Ron Atkinson (Sean Dempsey/PA)

Atkinson's death follows that of ex-soldier Spencer Beynon, who was Tasered by police in Llanelli, South Wales, in June after stabbing a dog and then himself.

Campaigners have raised concerns about the safety of the stun guns and called for restrictions on their use until more is known about the risks.

Police use of Tasers, which are intended as a non-lethal weapon, went up slightly last year with 10,329 uses by forces in England and Wales, a 2% rise on the previous year. However, of those, 19% (1,921) were discharges; a decrease of 3% from the previous year.

Tragic :(

'He got his 85 year old dad by the throat and said he was going to kill him. He told dad he had already killed me, our brother Paul and sister Elaine and he had come for him. He was not in his right mind'.

Sorry but I cannot feel any sadness or express good wishes to anyone that would do this to an old man let alone their own father.

Sounds like Dalian was in a dark, dark place and didn't have the help around him. Depression, kidney failure.. was probably having some sort of psychotic side effect episode due to the drugs, or hallucination. :(

RIP DA. I'll be applauding on the 10th minute.

2 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

'He got his 85 year old dad by the throat and said he was going to kill him. He told dad he had already killed me, our brother Paul and sister Elaine and he had come for him. He was not in his right mind'.

Sorry but I cannot feel any sadness or express good wishes to anyone that would do this to an old man let alone their own father.

He was not in his right mind and seemingly in a very dark place. If anything, it makes me feel even more sad for Dalian knowing that in his last moments, he wasn't even himself.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

[Allegedly, according to someone talking completely out of turn to a scummy, filth-gathering "newspaper", rather than providing evidence in a proper and dignified fashion  to the IPCC enquiry] ...'He got his 85 year old dad by the throat and said he was going to kill him. He told dad he had already killed me, our brother Paul and sister Elaine and he had come for him. He was not in his right mind'.

Just thought that needed a little edit for context before the Internet warriors pick this up and run away with it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

It doesnt sound he was in right frame of mind to be honest mate. What is alarming to me is why didn't the family tell the officers he had heart issues? Surely the police would have seen the dialyses tube as well? If that was my family i would scream he has had heart problems to prevent them using the taser. this seems just a tragedy. 

• Like 1

Â