Dalian Atkinson

Pongotastic

4 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

'He got his 85 year old dad by the throat and said he was going to kill him. He told dad he had already killed me, our brother Paul and sister Elaine and he had come for him. He was not in his right mind'.

Sorry but I cannot feel any sadness or express good wishes to anyone that would do this to an old man let alone their own father.

So he deserves to die? 

Edit - no need for me to be so rude. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Empathy is weird isn't it. Especially when it's so far removed from ones own personal experiences.

People who work in the field of mental health can deal with these things on a daily basis. It's an awful thing to have happened, but it's not uncommon or sensational unfortunately.  Likewise people who have witnessed close family members or friends have to deal with mental breakdowns, drink and drug problems, depression and so on generally have a much more compassionate view towards people gripped by their own problems. I have noticed a similar thing with the friends and families of people with life limiting or life threatening conditions throughout my life.

You're entitled to your opinion but just remember pride comes before a fall. Humility costs nothing. Not fully understanding something is ok.

I'm really trying not to sound pious and stress there is no need for you to express any good wishes or feel any sadness if you don't feel like you need to. But away from the forum sometime ask yourself what you would do if this was a loved one of yours? A partner/sibling/family member/friend? What if there is something in the phrase "not in his right mind" which your journey in life has not brought you to have to deal with and attempt to fully understand?

"And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise" - Rudyard Kipling

If I had addressed that post first, I can't imagine I'd have been as collected and understanding as you just were.

Thank you for beating me to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So he deserves to die? 

Get a **** grip you plonker. 

Did I say he deserved to die????

I just don't think people would be so quick to be so kind to the average bloke in the street if he attacked and threatened to kill an 85 year old man and they certainly wouldn't be applauding him at a football match.

You need to get a grip and stop seeing people through rose coloured glasses. Just because he was an ex Villa player does not excuse what he did. I'll tell you what, you behave like a complete arsehole and threaten to kill someone and see how much sympathy you get if you get tasered by the police.

EDIT: No need to be so reactive when I feel that someone has been rude to me :)

Edited by pacbuddies
A sort of apology.

3 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Empathy is weird isn't it. Especially when it's so far removed from ones own personal experiences.

People who work in the field of mental health can deal with these things on a daily basis. It's an awful thing to have happened, but it's not uncommon or sensational unfortunately.  Likewise people who have witnessed close family members or friends have to deal with mental breakdowns, drink and drug problems, depression and so on generally have a much more compassionate view towards people gripped by their own problems. I have noticed a similar thing with the friends and families of people with life limiting or life threatening conditions throughout my life.

You're entitled to your opinion but just remember pride comes before a fall. Humility costs nothing. Not fully understanding something is ok.

I'm really trying not to sound pious and stress there is no need for you to express any good wishes or feel any sadness if you don't feel like you need to. But away from the forum sometime ask yourself what you would do if this was a loved one of yours? A partner/sibling/family member/friend? What if there is something in the phrase "not in his right mind" which your journey in life has not brought you to have to deal with and attempt to fully understand?

"And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise" - Rudyard Kipling

You make a very valid and sensible point (unlike someone else who just resorted to insults). I agree that mental health is a very real and important issue here but I just felt that if his father had been killed due to his actions (a very real possibility) would there be such an out-pour of emotions towards DA and also him being an ex Villa player probably clouded people's emotions and reactions. I am not sure that the average bloke on the street would have got the same level of sympathy.

However, I would just like to say that despite what certain other people think I do not think he deserved to die and it is a sad occurrence but I would rather wait until the investigation is complete before I judge the police or his family.

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Dude, he's dead. He wasn't just tasered, he was killed.

Yet you find hard to have sympathy? Are you a sociopath?

No, it is very sad. But as I said, he was attempting to kill his 85 year old father and taking a step back from the Villa connection thing I doubt he would be receiving such tributes if he were Joe Public. 

52 minutes ago, a m ole said:

If I had addressed that post first, I can't imagine I'd have been as collected and understanding as you just were.

Thank you for beating me to it.

Thank you for sparing me your tirade. Thankfully there are more intelligent people like VILLAMARV.

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I have a name you know, you can use it. I'm not the **** candyman. 

If you can't understand why it's an emotive and raw subject then I give up. 

I understand (if indeed you were replying to me). I did not use your name so as to avoid certain situations.

We are all different and have different outlooks. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

No, it is very sad. But as I said, he was attempting to kill his 85 year old father and taking a step back from the Villa connection thing I doubt he would be receiving such tributes if he were Joe Public. 

Is it a fact that he was "attempting to kill his 85 year old father"? If that's a fact then is it a fact that they tasered him three times and kicked him to death?

5 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

I understand (if indeed you were replying to me). I did not use your name so as to avoid certain situations.

We are all different and have different outlooks. 

Fair enough. My apologies for being rude, I've not taken it all particularly well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Is it a fact that he was "attempting to kill his 85 year old father"? If that's a fact then is it a fact that they tasered him three times and kicked him to death?

Why would his brother lie about him holding his father by the throat and threatening to kill him and claiming that he had already killed other members of his family? I am not sure where you got the information about the police kicking him to death. Any witnesses?

17 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

You have no idea if he was attempting to kill his 85 year-old father; you weren't there, were you?

It is shocking and irresponsible (but predictable) of the Sun to spread such stories rather than let the IPCC enquiry take place. 

But no-one should be wilfully be spreading this - as it stands unfounded - allegation on a Villa web site.

Can't conceive what the agenda could be here.

Edited by briny_ear

Â