Dalian Atkinson

Pongotastic

3 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

He really didn't know how talented he was .

On his day he was brilliant . That Tranmere semi will live long amongst many of us, I'm sure.

one of my greatest football memories ever. and your right mate he was a bloody magician, just gutted i am :(

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Holtern8 said:

Need to sort a tribute out guys.

I liked the idea I read elsewhere about taking Umbrellas to the game  ... would be pretty cool if that could take off

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I liked the idea I read elsewhere about taking Umbrellas to the game  ... would be pretty cool if that could take off

The Dr has already said we can't due to health and safety rules but said we will do something else.  The club must have something planned.

I remember on the ITV Premier League show when they had the rights years back and Townsend and Ron Atkinson were on there. They showed some goals highlights from yesteryear and Dalian featured. When they cut back to the pair of them Townsend said "me and Ron were just talking during that and we were saying what a good player Dalian Atkinson was, unfortunatly he liked a night out a bit too much". Or something along those lines. I'm guessing this explains why his career stuttered and faded away when he should have been at his peak. However he fired on all cylinders for us.

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

RIP you wonderful magician. I'm actually bloody crying here.

I just nearly had a tear in my eye then as well, wow that was new to me. I've never got that emotional at the loss of a footballer before but now I realise why. Atkinson is the first Villa player to die from a team when I've supported them (I know technically Drobny as well but you know what I mean). He was literally a piece of most of our childhoods, add to that he had lots of highly memorable moments so that's lots of things you instantly think of when you see his name.

Horrible news to wake up to this morning.

The thing I keep thinking of is that it all seems to have been completely avoidable.

I seem to remember as an equally exciting and frustrating player. There would be games he couldn't (or wouldn't) get involved in - but he'd also be able to use his strength, skill and pace to do something special. And whilst that goal against Wimbledon will always stand out alongside the iconic celebration with the umbrella man - I must admit I'd forgotten he'd played such a key role in the '94 Cup win with both late goals in both legs that first gave us a chance in the second and then the relief of him bundling in the equaliser in the second leg. And then that goal in the final........

Thanks Dalian.

• Like 1

The Brolly man (Martin Pritchard) is so lucky! In iconic celebration of THE iconic Villa goal and he is in every photo and the frequently shown video footage. Who isn't jealous? :D

On paper it sounds shite "when a Villa player scores run on the pitch and hold an umbrella over the scorer". And yet somehow, its brilliant!

The only thing that goes against this goal is the shitty cowshed empty stadium it was scored in. Such a pity it wasnt at Villa Park or at least a decent away stadium. I remember Ron Atkinson said this once on TV about where it was scored. Still I dont think there is any other goal that even rivals to this being the greatest in Villa history.

• Like 1

RIP to one of the exciting forwards in an exciting big Ron team.

Best villa goal in a very very long time and was a hero in the shirt for the short time he was here. 

Saunders and Atkinson on their day were easily the best forward line in the country 

Condolences to his family and closest friends.

• Like 1

Â