Dalian Atkinson

Pongotastic

Without doubt, the most talented forward I've seen at the Villa on his day. Had absolutely everything pace, skill, strength and finishing. His career did not quite live up to the talent he possessed but he left us with some great memories.

I love his run at the start of this clip. Bear in mind, it's 120 minutes played when he does it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RunRickyRun said:

Without doubt, the most talented forward I've seen at the Villa on his day. Had absolutely everything pace, skill, strength and finishing. His career did not quite live up to the talent he possessed but he left us with some great memories.

I love his run at the start of this clip. Bear in mind, it's 120 minutes played when he does it. 

I love Deano's penalty run up (at about 1.15), it was about 40 yards, like one you would do in a school yard aged 8!

• Like 2

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Because there's a time for mourning and then there's a time for ruthless assessment. I'm still in stage one. 

Don't worry, it won't go away. 

Fair enough, Dave.

I'm not so sure I agree with the delineation but I get your point. :thumb:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Fair enough, Dave.

I'm not so sure I agree with the delineation but I get your point. :thumb:

I get where you are coming from too. We live in an impatient society with short attention spans and perhaps people are worried that if it's not discussed now it never will be. It would just be nice if we could lay him to rest first before he is used as a political pawn. 

That's not necessarily aimed at Villa Talk or the majority of Villa fans for what it's worth. Neither am I the boss here. 

It's just not the time, IMO. 

Anyway, I'm now debating something I didn't want to! 

Here's to Dalian, Holte Ender In The Sky. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I get where you are coming from too. We live in an impatient society with short attention spans and perhaps people are worried that if it's not discussed now it never will be. It would just be nice if we could lay him to rest first before he is used as a political pawn. 

That's not necessarily aimed at Villa Talk or the majority of Villa fans for what it's worth. Neither am I the boss here. 

It's just not the time, IMO. 

Anyway, I'm now debating something I didn't want to! 

Here's to Dalian, Holte Ender In The Sky. 

This all seems to stem from my post saying there were some disturbing reports emerging regarding this, which there are. 

I intentionally didn't link to them or quote them so as not to detract from the memories relating the players time at the club. However personally I think the circumstances of his death are important, not least to stop any lazy assumptions this was purely an incident of an ex footballer out of control because some of the alleged witness statements to the press raise some pretty serious questions about the Police actions.

It has nothing to do with think society having short attention spans or a worry people will forget about the circumstances, it certainly had nothing to do with politics.

I think a lot of questions will emerge that will require answering, making passing reference to that doesn't in anyway detract from paying respects to a former player we all remember fondly, quite the opposite in fact.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I liked both your post and TV's post as they both made fair points.

I don't agree, necessarily, about impatience - I think it's fine to discuss something in its immediate aftermath without jumping to unnecessarily presumptive decisions. With all of that, one must accept that other things about the situation may come out in time.

Whatever does, I think it adds to the concern about the deployment of tasers (and more).

• Like 1

Â