Dalian Atkinson

Pongotastic

Yes, sadly, yesterday marked 3 years to the day that his untimely death occured. With an open case, and therefore a relative media blackout on such things, much credit to the OS team for a change. While that late goal is noteworthy, and without mentioning it directly, they dedicated their 'on this day' bit to him and we know the real reason why.

I hope the family know we will never forget him either.

Calling for 'justice' , whatever that is or could be in a case like this is a matter for wiser people than I. I just hope we get the truth. Unfettered.

Other people probably had film star or pop star posters on their bedroom walls when they were teenagers. I had this guy.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Police officer has been charged with murder

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/dalian-atkinson-murder-footballer-police-officer-west-mercia-trial-latest-a9189306.html 

Dalian Atkinson: Police officer charged with murder of former Premier League footballer

Aston Villa star’s family welcome prosecution but ‘regrets’ length of time taken to bring them

A police officer has been charged with murdering Dalian Atkinson, the former Aston Villa footballer.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) confirmed to The Independent that one constable from West Mercia Police had been charged with murder.

A second officer has been charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

The officers are due to appear at Birmingham Magistrates’ Court later today, and then at the city’s crown court, the CPS said.

But the CPS did not provide the officers’ names, against the standard practice when people are charged with crimes.

Atkinson, 48, died in August 2016 after being tasered outside his father’s home in Telford.

The star, who also played for Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday, died in an ambulance on the way to hospital following a cardiac arrest.

Relatives said at the time that he had suffered a number of health issues, and had a weak heart.

His case sparked a “lengthy and complex” investigation by the police watchdog.

Speaking on behalf of Mr Atkinson’s family, solicitor Kate Maynard said: “Dalian’s family welcomes the decision to put the conduct of police officers before a jury but regrets that already more than three years have passed since Dalian died.”

Edited by Rodders
  • Thanks 1

On 07/11/2019 at 11:33, Rodders said:

Police officer has been charged with murder

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/dalian-atkinson-murder-footballer-police-officer-west-mercia-trial-latest-a9189306.html 

A police officer has been charged with murdering Dalian Atkinson, the former Aston Villa footballer.....

Speaking on behalf of Mr Atkinson’s family, solicitor Kate Maynard said: “Dalian’s family welcomes the decision to put the conduct of police officers before a jury but regrets that already more than three years have passed since Dalian died.”

Hopefully we get some light on what happened. The fact that it has gone to a murder charge is significant though. 

I don't have any information on the case. 

But in general- 

A murder charge can be reduced to manslaughter much easier than the other way around. 

Murder due to gross negligence is a legal possibility but normally negligence is downgraded to manslaughter. 

Murder implies there it was a premeditated act. In other words the officer set out to kill. I'll be interested to find out the evidence that supports that. 

Interesting stuff. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Why should they get anonymity is what I want to know - how many other (adult) murderers get granted that?

Says on the BBC article that the CPS haven't given names because they believe the defence will apply for the officer(s) to remain anonymous.  I guess if that doesn't get granted, they'll be named.

Edit:  Also, murder?  That's grim.  I thought a charge of manslaughter would be forthcoming, but murder?  😐 

Edited by bobzy

Probably best to avoid calling for justice or pre preemptively judging the officers when we dont know the facts and the officers havent been found guilty yet. Sounds complicated and difficult.

Shocking that the accused have been granted anonymity - apparently on the grounds that their lives would be at risk if their names were known.

Who do they think is going to try to kill them? 

I believe this is virtually unprecedented legally and doesn’t bode well for the transparency of the trial.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Shocking that the accused have been granted anonymity - apparently on the grounds that their lives would be at risk if their names were known.

Who do they think is going to try to kill them? 

I believe this is virtually unprecedented legally and doesn’t bode well for the transparency of the trial.

Really? Have you not being paying attention to the US, in particular the officer from Ferguson which started it all. Who was proven to have been violently attacked by someone who grabbed his gun, in the end vindicated entirely, yet despite this led to riots death threats and him having to resign for the safety of his colleagues and him and his family having to flee their home permanently, all for just doing his job? Now he is pretty much unemployable.

Remember the media in this country and what they do to suspects who haven't even been charged or had a trial, they have a long track record.

We are in completely unchartered territory, a police officer has been charged with murder after the use of a taser. It has potential to be an absolute game changing moment in British policing at a time when officer attacks and knife crime are going through the roof

How about we trust the system and wait for the facts before demanding names we have no reason to know and potentially causing race riots like in the US.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ramshackler said:

Really? Have you not being paying attention to the US, in particular the officer from Ferguson which started it all. Who was proven to have been violently attacked by someone who grabbed his gun, in the end vindicated entirely, yet despite this led to riots death threats and him having to resign for the safety of his colleagues and him and his family having to flee their home permanently, all for just doing his job? Now he is pretty much unemployable.

Remember the media in this country and what they do to suspects who haven't even been charged or had a trial, they have a long track record.

We are in completely unchartered territory, a police officer has been charged with murder after the use of a taser. It has potential to be an absolute game changing moment in British policing at a time when officer attacks and knife crime are going through the roof

How about we trust the system and wait for the facts before demanding names we have no reason to know and potentially causing race riots like in the US.

Pretty sure the facts are that the police allegedly, cowardly discharged their weapon at an unarmed man.

It's alleged murder, at best it's alleged manslaughter and they should and hopefully will be tried accordingly, at which point they can look forward to being ex-coppers in prison which I believe tends to be a very healthy mix for ensuring correct retribution.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Pretty sure the facts are that the police allegedly, cowardly discharged their weapon at an unarmed man.

It's alleged murder, at best it's alleged manslaughter and they should and hopefully will be tried accordingly, at which point they can look forward to being ex-coppers in prison which I believe tends to be a very healthy mix for ensuring correct retribution.

The only thing I'm pretty sure of, is that you know absolutely nothing in terms of facts. As nothing has been released.

An unarmed man covered in blood raging he had murdered his family. A taser is said to be a less impactive option than both baton and Pava spray. Thats a fact as it's deemed to be less long lasting effects. That is the training police recieve.

The only supposed facts came from sky news. Like paula Quinn, the idiot woman who claimed to have witnessed the cops kicking him repeatedly from her window. A window that was later proven to have no view of the area where the incident occured. 

So as I say, let's wait and see shall we

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Well i dont know about anyone else but I haven't heard of many people being tasered for being aggressive.

Usually they taser armed people no?

Again completely incorrect.

Believe it or not taser is approved as a lesser use of force than both baton and Pava spray hard to believe, but that is what is trained.

In 99% of cases once taser is deployed and suspect cuffed they have no further symptoms or pain.

Obviously no one can know underlying medical issues that may complicate it. Which is why personally I believe it should be treated higher.

However tasers are regularly used to gain compliance by single crewed officers who are up against bigger stronger individuals. 

They are drawn, red dotted and warned and if they still try to attack then they are tasered.

No idea what happened in this case, just stating the usual use and proper procedure

13 hours ago, ramshackler said:

The extraordinary decision to withhold the names of the accused is being challenged in the courts next week and I will be amazed if it is not overturned.

Remember we are not in the USA so any incidents there are not relevant. It is extremely rare in this country for the names of people accused of murder to be withheld and the grounds for doing it in this case are frankly ludicrous.

2 hours ago, ramshackler said:

Again completely incorrect.

Believe it or not taser is approved as a lesser use of force than both baton and Pava spray hard to believe, but that is what is trained.

In 99% of cases once taser is deployed and suspect cuffed they have no further symptoms or pain.

Obviously no one can know underlying medical issues that may complicate it. Which is why personally I believe it should be treated higher.

However tasers are regularly used to gain compliance by single crewed officers who are up against bigger stronger individuals. 

They are drawn, red dotted and warned and if they still try to attack then they are tasered.

No idea what happened in this case, just stating the usual use and proper procedure

Honestly I have never seen anyone tasered round where I am and crime is bad here. 

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Honestly I have never seen anyone tasered round where I am and crime is bad here. 

That's cos usually being red dotted is enough to make 99% of people think twice.

Sadly the people who usually get tasered are either ones with mental health issues acting out violently or those in some sort of drug fueled rage. Who cannot see reason

Â