Dalian Atkinson

Pongotastic

Been a supporter for 45 years, and Dalian was probably the most gifted forward i have seen down VP in all that time.He had everything, quick, good feet, good shot, good in the air, could dribble........perhaps a tad lack of motivation, and this was what held him back from being a true great.But on ability, better than all of them, Gray, Little, McInally, Yorkie...he was potentially world class.

Apparently lost his way over the last few years, but The Tranmere game is still my favourite Villa game, and 1984 final, one of my favourite memories , and i was there at Rotterdam and Highbury.

RIP Dalian, thanks for the memories.

• Like 1

Wow, if it IS true about the kicking and multiple use of the taser then that is appalling. If he was unarmed then how is it remotely justifiable as reasonable force? One use of taser maybe, but even that on an unarmed man? Jeez. 

1 hour ago, R.Bear said:

Probably. I dont know how Tranmere fans come to terms with this game. We had about 15 get out of jail cards. Its amazin how we didnt lose.

Late goal in the first leg to bring us back into the tie

Bosnich not getting sent off for taking Aldridge out

Atkinson's late equalizer in the second leg

O'Brien hitting the post with that free-kick in stoppage time

Them having a penalty to win it and missing.

God was a Villa that day! What amazes me about the 3rd Villa goal is that not one Tranmere player even approaches Daley when he gets the ball from that free-kick despite us passing over there before it was called back to be re-taken. The worst defending I've ever seen. Also Nixon the Tranmere keeper didnt even dive for a single goal, awful performance.

Name on the cup.

The Tranmere game and the Blues 2003 game were the two most amazing atmospheres that I've experienced at Villa Park, for very different reasons.

I've been going since the 3rd division days and remember (vaguely) the league cup semi final against Man U in 71.

All in all, the Tranmere game was the top, as far as atmosphere is concerned.

7 minutes ago, MrSmirch said:

So here's to you Dalian Atkinson, Villa love you more than you will know

Credit to Noel Murphy on Twitter.

This will do nicely.   Come lads, on lets get it going tomorrow.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 2

Gutted. Dalian was in the team when I first started going down the Villa, remember him scoring an absolute screamer vs QPR on the opening day of the season one year which made me so happy I dropped the mug I'd bought from the club shop before kick off. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

This will do nicely.   Come lads, on lets get it going tomorrow.

He already has a song. 

I hope we hear it full volume tomorrow. Could fully understand a few hearty renditions of '**** the police' tomorrow an' all. But we don't want anarchy. 

RIP Dalian

My thoughts go out to his nearest and dearest.

That team of the early 90's will live with me for ever, went to every game on that cup run, lost my voice for two days after Wembley!

I remember meeting Dalian in the cinema foyer in Burton on Trent, at the height of his Villa career, seemed a genuinely nice guy, don't know what he made of the star struck 20 odd year old trying to talk to him. It's weird how one thing stays with you for life.

Lift the roof at VP tomorrow shouting out his name. UTV

4 minutes ago, HolteExile said:

He already has a song. 

I hope we hear it full volume tomorrow. Could fully understand a few hearty renditions of '**** the police' tomorrow an' all. But we don't want anarchy. 

What is his song? Too young to remember I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, Holtern8 said:

I question why the BBC released released that part of the witness interview as they sat on it all day.

Absolutely disgusting if true.

The Guardian and Standard have run stories including that witness but leaving out the parts about kicking and multiple use of tasers.  It's normal practice to be wary of something where they only have one source.

I suppose the postmortem will look for any evidence of these things, since the claim has been made.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

Name on the cup.

Was it '94 we played Sunderland? I personally don't remember the game, but my dad said they absolutely battered us and we won and their fans were saying our name is on the Cup after something like that.

11 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Was it '94 we played Sunderland? I personally don't remember the game, but my dad said they absolutely battered us and we won and their fans were saying our name is on the Cup after something like that.

Yes, we got absolutely battered and won 1-4. Mark Bosnich turned in one of the best goalkeeping displays I've seen that night.

What with Bosnich, McGrath and Dalian we had some geniuses from that era who it seems have battled their demons. Tragic that it's ended this way for him. Such a waste.

• Like 2

Â