Dalian Atkinson

Pongotastic

19 hours ago, peterms said:

A serious discussion really isn't helped by nonsense like this, now is it.

Sorry i should have said in my professional capacity for 16 years first, that 99% off the people I know who have been tasered, seen being Tasered or whom I have tasered have warranted it.

impact factors  pay a huge impact on each one. Such as weapons, failure to comply with commands which could put people including the suspect at risk. Weather. Lighting. Previous knowledge. Size of suspect. Behaviour of suspect.

All of these things or just one or two of them is enough to warrant the use of it.

Obviously you know different ? Oh... you don't? 

55 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

impact factors  pay a huge impact on each one. Such as weapons, failure to comply with commands which could put people including the suspect at risk. Weather. Lighting. Previous knowledge. Size of suspect. Behaviour of suspect.

All of these things or just one or two of them is enough to warrant the use of it.

Just one or two ill-defined factors warrant the use of a taser? I'm surprised it's only at 99% in that case.

Next up: 99% of people arrested are guilty...

1 hour ago, brummybloke said:

Sorry i should have said in my professional capacity for 16 years first, that 99% off the people I know who have been tasered, seen being Tasered or whom I have tasered have warranted it.

Obviously you know different ? Oh... you don't? 

Are you including the large numbers of mental health patients who are tasered routinely in psychiatric units in your 99%?

There are some, obviously not as wise and professional, who see the rising use of tasers, particularly against people with mental health problems, as a rather lazy way of avoiding the need for proper resourcing and training of professionals to deal effectively with cases where people are putting themselves or others at risk.

Not to mention the UN who have classified use of tasers as a form of torture.

I feel this discussion would be much better dealt with in Off Topic as a separate thread, not repeatedly messing up the comments commemorating Dalian Atkinson.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Are you including the large numbers of mental health patients who are tasered routinely in psychiatric units in your 99%?

There are some, obviously not as wise and professional, who see the rising use of tasers, particularly against people with mental health problems, as a rather lazy way of avoiding the need for proper resourcing and training of professionals to deal effectively with cases where people are putting themselves or others at risk.

I feel this discussion would be much better dealt with in Off Topic as a separate thread, not repeatedly messing up the comments commemorating Dalian Atkinson.

I think if you are having to come up against anyone who is physically strong has a positive mindset or has mental health issues  and is hurting either themselves or another person or there is a risk they will then I would expect the public would wish the police to react. 

Unfortunately the majority of cases are dynamic so the luxury of asking the person who is causing the issues if they have any medical conditions that they should be aware of prior to being Tasered is not only unrealistic but ridiculous in most cases.

And anyone with mental health issues which is a VERY broad spectrum, does it no matter of they kill someone. Are people expecting that it doesn't count because they are suffering an illness? 

Tell that to victims of violent crime or sexual offences.

I quoted in my reply but it was not all directed to briny_ear 

• Like 1

And anyone with mental health issues which is a VERY broad spectrum, does it no matter of they kill someone. Are people expecting that it doesn't count because they are suffering an illness?

I'm not sure what you're on about.

Tell that to victims of violent crime or sexual offences.

I don't recommend this. The last thing they need in that situation is to be utterly flummoxed, too.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I'm not sure what you're on about.

I don't recommend this. The last thing they need in that situation is to be utterly flummoxed, too.

That's fine I really have no problem that you can't grasp it.

Not quite sure why you commented on something you admit you don't have any idea about but hey ho

12 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

That's fine I really have no problem that you can't grasp it.

Not quite sure why you commented on something you admit you don't have any idea about but hey ho

I can't 'grasp' what you posted as it didn't make any sense, in particular this bit: anyone with mental health issues which is a VERY broad spectrum, does it no matter of they kill someone.

I commented on it because it didn't make sense.

Edit: As per VILLAMARV's post above, though, there's a thread in Off Topic now if you wish to discuss Tasers, their use and the statistics relating to them.

Edited by snowychap

On 17 August 2016 at 17:01, briny_ear said:

Eh?

On 18/08/2016 at 19:45, Holtern8 said:

Gross misconduct notices , does this mean they've been sacked? Pretty serious stuff.

It should mean that they have been advised that they are facing an investigation which may result in charges which they must respond to, and presumably also that in view of the seriousness of the possible charge (which could result in dismissal) they will be suspended, without implication of guilt or innocence, while the case is dealt with.

The possible criminal investigation is a separate issue.

They might be found guilty or innocent of either or both misconduct and criminal charges, if in fact any charges are laid - sounds like it might just be a notice of an investigation which may or may not lead to charges.  For context, fhere have been 1032 deaths in police custody since 1990, and I believe none have led to criminal charges.

Some info here: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/aug/18/police-officers-investigated-over-dalian-atkinson-taser-death

Two West Mercia police officers are under criminal investigation over the death of the former Premier League footballer Dalian Atkinson, who died after he was Tasered three times by police.

The two officers were also being served with gross misconduct notices, the Independent Police Complaints Commission said on Thursday. 

Some eyewitnesses have also reported that Atkinson was struck by officers while he was on the ground. One woman has already told the BBC that she saw what she believed was Atkinson being kicked by police.

The IPCC has stressed its decision to launch a criminal investigation does not mean the officers did anything wrong.

The former Aston Villa footballer died after police Tasered him near his father’s home in Telford on Monday.....

Of course some posters may be able to say exactly how this proceeds in the police force rather than in general.

Edited by blandy
extract added
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

As much as I hate to say it and I'm not jumping on some 'police hate'  by saying this but I suspect this would have slipped under the radar had this not been a high profile victim. 

I doubt any death would have slipped under the radar, but it's certainly the case that having those witness statements across national media, about the death of a figure known to millions, will have left both police and IPCC investigators in no doubt that they need to be seen to act quickly.

I see that other news today is about the family of another man killed by police tasers being paid compensation.

Time we got this thing under control.  Money compensation after the event is not the answer.

• Like 1

There's an interesting article in today's Times about Dalian.

Like the rest of the media it de-emphasises the fact that he was killed by the police by the use of a euphemism and goes as far as to suggest he died as a result of his health and financial problems rather than being assaulted three times with a taser.

They say that he chose to live in an isolated house near Whitchurch because he couldn't stand being recognised by fans.

Â