Dalian Atkinson

Pongotastic

Unless you were there and felt the fear or emotions the people there felt. And saw what happened then speculating is doing nothing.

Taser is recommended over baton and if someone has been tasered then 99% of the time they have done something serious enough to warrant it.

too many wannabee or blame everyone else's around at the moment.

Respect his passing and in future look at why it happened.

• Like 1

I think we have to see the bigger picture here - from what i can gather the man has lived a good life and he has been loved by a lot of people.  When people talk about Dalian they use words like 'happy', 'fun loving', 'kind' and 'thoughtful'. A character who had time for a lot of people.  It "appears" he has struggled with mental health problems recently, which he has paid the ultimate price for. What we know for sure is he brought a lot of joy to a lot of people and for that he should be recognized and paid tribute to.  The details of what happened that night and why it happened will come out and they may or may not change how is remembered longer-term, but at this stage, given what we know, it is absolutely right to pay tribute to the man's life, rather than judge him entirely on one incident we know very little about. I wager if we asked his Father he would want that too!

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Why would his brother lie about him holding his father by the throat and threatening to kill him and claiming that he had already killed other members of his family? I am not sure where you got the information about the police kicking him to death. Any witnesses?

I think it's best to hold fire on settling on what happened that night. I've been seeing some very contradictory witness reports. I'm sure one said he was kicking the door repeatedly but never got into his dads house before police arrived. How can he strangle him if he couldn't get in?

That said, it's fairly reasonable to assume that his own brother and dad wouldn't lie, so these are the most reliable statements so far.

What is known as a fact at this point is that an idol of a lot of Villa fans here has passed away in possibly avoidable circumstances*. Whether he was a genuinely bad man (which goes against a lot of what has been said of him over the years) or suffering personal demons (drink, drugs, mental health) remains to be seen. 

*On this point; any police force on here? I'd like to know how threatened you have to feel to use a taser on someone? I know Dalian was a fairly big guy so its fair to say you could feel very threatened depending on his actions, but if he was as drunk as some reports say, surely it'd be relatively easy to incapacitate him without the use of a taser? I've seen some pretty incredible take downs on nights out. Hope that doesn't come across as pointing the finger, I'm just trying to see the situation from the coppers perspective a bit more.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Why would his brother lie about him holding his father by the throat and threatening to kill him and claiming that he had already killed other members of his family? I am not sure where you got the information about the police kicking him to death. Any witnesses?

Sorry, but before you come on here claiming to know authoritatively what happened, you really should do a bit of research. A brief search of today's papers will give you a range of information from eye witnesses. Try the Daily Mail story. There is a quote from Atkinson's father which does not mention being grabbed by the throat. There is a video of a neighbour who witnessed the incident saying the police tasered Atkinson outside his father's front door and kicked him repeatedly when he fell to the ground. So the picture is far less clear than you and the Sun "newspaper" are choosing to present.

This information should be looked at calmly, objectively and methodically by the IPCC to try to determine what really happened.

It should not be thrown around in an ill-informed fashion on a fan site. We are not carrying out the enquiry or deciding the rights and wrongs of the situation.

It seems far more appropriate for us just to mourn the loss of someone who was once a major part of the Villa story. The fact that he died in horrible and tragic circumstances should make our sorrow even greater, not lead us to indulge in lurid and shakily founded speculation.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Has the umbrella man ever been identified does anyone know?  In today's world he would be a twitter sensation. 

Yes there was an Evening Mail article on him a couple of years ago:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/meet-rainman-umbrella-wielding-aston-7891353

Scored the best goal I have ever seen from a villa player by far. Always one of my favourite players. Shocking waste of a life at the hands of some dickhead who shoudl have known better. Just **** tragic.

1 hour ago, brummybloke said:

if someone has been tasered then 99% of the time they have done something serious enough to warrant it.

A serious discussion really isn't helped by nonsense like this, now is it?

1 hour ago, pacbuddies said:

Thankfully there are more intelligent people like VILLAMARV.

Can i have that in writing? oh I did. Lovely. Just quoting for posterity :)

1 hour ago, pacbuddies said:

You make a very valid and sensible point (unlike someone else who just resorted to insults). I agree that mental health is a very real and important issue here but I just felt that if his father had been killed due to his actions (a very real possibility) would there be such an out-pour of emotions towards DA and also him being an ex Villa player probably clouded people's emotions and reactions. I am not sure that the average bloke on the street would have got the same level of sympathy.

However, I would just like to say that despite what certain other people think I do not think he deserved to die and it is a sad occurrence but I would rather wait until the investigation is complete before I judge the police or his family.

People are fallible. Thankfully your questions are hypothetical. The average guy on the street probably wouldn't receive the same level of sympathy but then he wasn't adored by thousands of people or he wouldn't be an average guy on the street. I get what you were saying originally and it has it's own merit. People should be held accountable for their actions in a law abiding society. Some things are beyond forgiveness in all our minds and we have our own individual boundaries when it comes to stuff like this. Sometimes things happen which are so complicated that there is no hero. no villain (correct usage before the Villans start correcting me lol). Peoples views on pleading insanity or diminished responsibility on the grounds of mental instability to accused crimes varies wildly. But the reason they exist in Law is because they exist in reality. None of the people on here are condoning the violence toward his father. Or conveniently sweeping it under the carpet as an inconvenient truth. Sometimes in life irrational things happen which we can make little sense of.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

Thank you for sparing me your tirade. Thankfully there are more intelligent people like VILLAMARV.

You saidd something that was adressed by VILLAMARV in a way that I couldn't have done because I was so offended by what you said. The difference between me and him is not intelligence, it's that he had the patience to explain a difficult subject in the face of what appears to be gross ignorance.

17 hours ago, briny_ear said:

There is clearly a very tragic and sad story behind this and the last thing I want is the **** Sun controlling the information about what happened.

It's 2016 and yet there are still people willing to believe articles in the Sun?

Astonishing.

• Like 2

Â